Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARCHOS 5 Internet Tablet

• 27-11-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Just wondering what ye think of the ARCHOS 5 Internet Tablet. Is it worth the money and has anybody had any problems with it?

Also is www.expansys.ie a reputable retailer? They have the archos 160GB for 355 euro. Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance,
    apc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

ibood or someone had this lately for I think 150e

so i think the price can probably be beaten. but expansys are pretty reliable in general

search the bargain alerts forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

apc wrote: »
    Just wondering what ye think of the ARCHOS 5 Internet Tablet. Is it worth the money and has anybody had any problems with it?

Also is www.expansys.ie a reputable retailer? They have the archos 160GB for 355 euro. Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance,
    apc

I have an Archos5 myself tho it's in getting repaired due to a broken screen.

On the whole I'm happy with it but they could have included more hardware buttons as it's a pig to use when connected to the mini dock.

Good browser tho, and you can plug a usb keyboard into the mini dock and it works perfectly.

The user interface could be better too but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

Archos customer care is ****e tho.. so beware .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

mawk wrote: »
    ibood or someone had this lately for I think 150e
    Thats the old one, the 'Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet'.

The OP is referring to the new 'Archos 5 Internet Tablet' (Android based).

Pretty stupid of Archos to give them near-identical names :rolleyes: The new one has a faster processor and better video capabilities (notably the MKV container, plus high-profile H264 up to a point) plus the advantage of running Android apps. And its not as reliant on paid-plugins, there's only one this time instead of 3 or 4 as per the last generation. However I heard the early firmwares had a lot of instability so i'd check if that was still the case.

Expansys price is average (about the same as the Archos website) but ive seen better prices from UK stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Peats have the 160gb one for €349 - €6 cheaper than expansys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Shoot-a

http://www.archos.com/store/nsearch.html?country=ie&lang=en

300 euro for 250gb media tablet. Not sure about shipping but its including tax.

I'm so close to getting one of these. Just hope it doesnt randomly break like my last few Archosesss or Archosi ( latin students may be able to help with that diclention:D)

• Advertisement

Shoot-a wrote: »
    http://www.archos.com/store/nsearch.html?country=ie&lang=en

300 euro for 250gb media tablet. Not sure about shipping but its including tax.

I'm so close to getting one of these. Just hope it doesnt randomly break like my last few Archosesss or Archosi ( latin students may be able to help with that diclention:D)
    Thats not a great price.

Go onto ebay and you'll find an A5 250GB for €200 brand new, from reputable sellers. Most places that have them have been blowing them out for the last few weeks/months, on account of them being the old models.

cool sounds good. Any reputable sellers in mind?

What exactly do you mean by old models?

Shoot-a wrote: »
    cool sounds good. Any reputable sellers in mind?
    Just go to ebay and you'll see them. Theres one guy in the uk ('digigood' or something) selling a rake of Archos 5 250GB and Archos 7 160GB.
    What exactly do you mean by old models?
    Its last years model. Theres a new Archos 5 - more powerful, runs Google Android, has GPS, radio, bluetooth built in etc. If you read this thread from the beginning you'll see the original poster was talking about the new one.

J

Its last years model. Theres a new Archos 5 - more powerful, runs Google Android, has GPS, radio, bluetooth built in etc. If you read this thread from the beginning you'll see the original poster was talking about the new one.

Oh ok. I was under the impression from the Archos website among other things that the two archos 5's were out together , just different models. I didn't realise the Archos 5 MEDIA tablet was old.cheers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seaders

guys, can any of you help me. right, so I'm dying to get my hands on one of these, the awesome 500GB version, but everywhere's out of stock with them, amazon, archos themselves, pixmania, advancedmp3players, data-mind, everywhere. they all are saying the 3rd week of January, which should be next week, but then waiting on shipping... I'm terribly impatient for stuff like this and that would drive me mad.

now, I've already bugged Peats for getting the 500 GB one, because it wasn't even in their stock listings. yer man who I was talking to said that he would, but it'd take a few weeks.

the thing is, a year or two ago, randomly, I was in a rural town, like Wexford, or Wicklow, or Killarney, or somewhere and one of these small electronics store had a big Archos section. I've had various Archos' over the years, so I always knew which products they had out and this place had nearly everything, at a very competitive price too.

thing is, I've no idea of the town, let alone which shop it was. have any of you an idea? if you know the shop, they may well have one, or are getting stock in soon and I'd order off them. in the current climate, so long as I'm not getting totally ripped off, I'd much prefer to buy from an Irish seller, ya know yourself.

thanks anyway, if anyone can help me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seaders

meh, eventually remembered, it was a small electronics shop in Kilkenny. got their number this morning and rang, got a "no, we don't stock Archos any more" response :/

there's a few places with it listed online, but every one of them out of stock. I hate this, I'm incredibly impatient about new gadgets that I really want!

Advertisement