Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation Network Video Store

Options
  • 27-11-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi, is the PlayStation® Network Video Store available for Irish based PS3's?

Got an email telling me it was available but can’t find it now when I switched on the PS3.

Thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I doubt it will happen any time soon if even apple haven't be able to properly secure digital rights for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Any reason why or is it just Sone being Sony and leaving us till last as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Don't know the reason for the delay, but last I heard it coming january 2010

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Ìve gotten 2 emails from them telling me this is up and you get either transfomers or angels and deamons for free or something like that but i dont think we are getting it till 2010 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Same here:

"This is an email from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. If you can't see the images in this email, please click here
    PlayStation®Network

Hi davema,
    Stop the press! Our exclusive PlayStation® Network Video Store is now live - letting you download movies direct to your PSP or PS3. Whether you like comedy, action or more, you'll find hundreds of movies ready to rent or buy now. Full details at videostore.uk.playstation.com!

...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Snip182

Anyone know if it works if you register with a UK address?

Id imagine it's IP locked like the US store.........

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

As usual Ireland gets dumped on.

That said I dont know how the hell Sony has the nerve to call this a European video store when only France,Germany and the UK can receive this.

Im really starting to get pissed now at how Ireland gets dumped on each and every time.

First of all Sony introduce the BBCI Player. And Ireland cant get this, despite the Irish paying for the BBC on many various platforms including Sky and NTL.

Now we cant get the video store despite many of us receiving emails saying we could. And yet anyone in the UK with a PS3 can.

Even on Sky we get dumped on. No BBC HD, No CH4 HD, despite the fact we can already receive BBC and Ch4.

And SKY continue to overcharge Irish subscribers at the exchange rate of 0.66!

Where the hell is our consumer protection?

Snip182 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it works if you register with a UK address?

Just comes up with this content is unavailable.

I actually managed to get the BBC I player, but when you click onto watch a programme it comes up this content is unavailable in your region.

It makes me mad!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    First of all Sony introduce the BBCI Player. And Ireland cant get this, despite the Irish paying for the BBC on many various platforms including Sky and NTL.

That is hardly the fault of Sony. The BBC made it available on the Playstation for UK users only.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That is hardly the fault of Sony. The BBC made it available on the Playstation for UK users only.

And Sony dont have any Clout with the BBC?

Sony could have pushed the BBC for this, its not as if there are any rights issues when the BBC already broadcast to Ireland.

Sony could have stood up for their Irish owners.

At least you can get Sky on the Xbox.

Why cant Sony for once look after the Irish consumer? Considering now we cant even get the Video channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Sony could have pushed the BBC for this, its not as if there are any rights issues when the BBC already broadcast to Ireland.

Why cant Sony for once look after the Irish consumer? Considering now we cant even get the Video channel.

Stuff like iPlayer is a sexed up version of there webpage iPlayer. Sony probably do little more than get permission from the BBC to connect to it. So the rule that nothing outside of the uk is allowed to view it still stands. It makes sense, because the BBC have to pay for the bandwidth the iplayer uses.

Any money you give to sky more than likely does not go to the BBC, BBC is free to air on many satellites.

Sky on xbox is pretty useless as far as I can see, you need an account already, and then your paying twice again to see what you own (Gold and Bandwidth). I guess it does act as a second skybox though.

Sony probably dont care much about ireland, were a small market at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I recon the main reason why the likes of Sony and Apple dont release any sort of VOD content here is because we are such a small market and obtaining the rights isnt worth the cost and effort. In fairness, Sky do offer a decent-ish VOD serivce for Sky users, plenty of free content but at the end of the day we are paying for it through our subscription.

Edit: Sony should strike some deal with Channel 4 and RTE to bring their players to the PS3. 4OD has lots of great content open to both the UK and Ireland so it would be easier to get the rights to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Wooo!

They're localizing it :p Transformers in Irish! :p:D

optimus prime: "claochlaigh agus rolla amach!"

*Transform and roll out!
    CC

Why would they? The BBC is a publicly funded service for the United Kingdom. Your beef should be with BBC Worldwide. It was them Sky Digital dealt with to bring BBC 1 and 2 to the Sky Irish EPG.

Internet rights are different to broadcast rights.

I do not see why they would need to. The inclusion of the iPlayer is unlikely to boost sales. The PS3 is selling well as it is atm.

Sky are a subscription service in Ireland so I would be a bit surprised if they were not available in Ireland. It isn't available in France. Do you think it should be? Afterall there are XBOX 360 users in France too.

Sony will offer the video channel to us soon. There are obvious rights issues at play here which is preventing it. Do not forget most of Europe do not have it either.

If Ireland was a part of the UK all of what you say would be valid but we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,401 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thank chirst Mossy was on form to save me the rant.

What if BBC has the new series of Lost as well as RTE?

What if the BBC showed it on the Tuesday and the RTE on the Thursday?

If you could (legally) watch it online on BBC on the Tuesday then RTE would lose a shedload of viewers thereby making the money they paid for the show fairly pointless.

You may be able to do all these things on the net illegally (technically) but don't be amazed because Sony/BBC or whoever are not legalising it.

noodler wrote: »
    Thank chirst Mossy was on form to save me the rant.

What if BBC has the new series of Lost as well as RTE?

What if the BBC showed it on the Tuesday and the RTE on the Thursday?

If you could (legally) watch it online on BBC on the Tuesday then RTE would lose a shedload of viewers thereby making the money they paid for the show fairly pointless.

You may be able to do all these things on the net illegally (technically) but don't be amazed because Sony/BBC or whoever are not legalising it.

Hello???

The BBC is available throughout Ireland as a subscription service on SKY and NTL.

Also SKY ONE Showed Lost as they broadcast to Ireland so what happened with the issue between them and RTE over episodes like lost?

Hello???

Hi.
    The BBC is available throughout Ireland as a subscription service on SKY and NTL.

Irrelevant. The iPlayer is an internet based medium. Broadcast rights are not the same.
    Also SKY ONE Showed Lost as they broadcast to Ireland so what happened with the issue between them and RTE over episodes like lost?

It is possible for both channels to share the rights to a programme or event. Take a look at Irish football internationals as an example of this. RTÉ never claimed exclusive rights to Lost and Sky only have exclusive rights for the United Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just got an email from Sony :

==========================================================
    We have been made aware that we mistakenly sent you a version of our PlayStation®Network email newsletter which highlights the Video Store service. We realise that this service is not available in your country and are sorry if the information contained in the email misled you in any way.

Specific information about the roll-out of this service in your country will be made available in due course
    ==========================================================

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got that too, nice to know Sony are looking out for us.......or something........Im just amazed they managed to clean up the PSN store after so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Got that too, nice to know Sony are looking out for us.......or something........Im just amazed they managed to clean up the PSN store after so long.

What did they do? Can't be bothered checking again after that disappointment!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Hi.

Irrelevant. The iPlayer is an internet based medium. Broadcast rights are not the same.

It is possible for both channels to share the rights to a programme or event. Take a look at Irish football internationals as an example of this. RTÉ never claimed exclusive rights to Lost and Sky only have exclusive rights for the United Kingdom.

Look at the amount of programmes that are blocked on the Sky version of C4 such as Scrubs, My name is Earl etc. Even Friends was for a while despite the fact it is shown about 60 times a day across other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

seclachi wrote: »
    Sony probably dont care much about ireland, were a small market at the end of the day.

They probably don't care as much, but this is the same company that published hurling and gaa football games. So..

Obviously they're going to prioritise the bigger markets.

It's just a shame that digital distribution rights for Ireland aren't packaged in with the UK or something. That way we'd probably have got the videostore with the UK.

You'd think that the EU would centralise all this stuff so that EU countries could be provided for in one swoop, as the US is. WHAT DID I VOTE YES TO LISBON FOR?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

BBC iPlayer is exclusively funded by british taxpayers in the form of the UK television license, as a result territories that dont pay the UK licence, i.e. the Republic of Ireland aren't able to view it.

The same is true of the RTE Player but in reverse. If we were to get a Player it would be RTE's not BBC's. Which I'd be happy with, RTE's service works pretty well considering its a beta and they have some good stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Looking at the comments on the official forums though, i dont think we are missing out. They seem to be rather expensive, a relatively small catalog, no surround sound blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

LookingFor wrote: »
    They probably don't care as much, but this is the same company that published hurling and gaa football games. So..

Obviously they're going to prioritise the bigger markets.

It's just a shame that digital distribution rights for Ireland aren't packaged in with the UK or something. That way we'd probably have got the videostore with the UK.

You'd think that the EU would centralise all this stuff so that EU countries could be provided for in one swoop, as the US is. WHAT DID I VOTE YES TO LISBON FOR?! ;)

if that ever includes ratings then we will get thrown in with the Germans

how are comics right done here, as the psps getting that soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

CombatCow wrote: »
    Id imagine it's IP locked like the US store.........

CC

Hi lads,
    How does one go about adding the PSN gaming card thingy that CombatCow and so many others on here have at the bottom of each of their boards.ie posts?

Cheers in advance,
    M

• Advertisement

If you go here: http://ie.playstation.com/registration/ and sign in with your psn account, then open the "My Portable ID" tab. Copy the "BB code:" and paste it into your boards signature in your profile settings.

CC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement