Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Advice : New Sim Free Smart Phone ?

• 27-11-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Howdie folks,

I picked up a SE C902 in Belfast last year on O2 UK to replace my N73. (O2 UK phones are sim free once purchased with a sim and £20 credit) I found the N73, although to be a good phone, to have slowed down so much it was barely usable. The C902 was my first ever SE after a string Nokias and Sharp phones. I love it but I'm starting to get bored of it. It's never put a foot wrong, still as fast as the day I bought it, couldn't fault one single thing about it.

So I'm looking to upgrade and have narrowed it down to these three;

Sony Ericsson Xperia X2

Nokia N900 (Doesn't run Symbian OS, so shouldn't slow down so I'm lead to believe)

Nokia N97 (Does have a Symbian OS but I really like the build and feel of it)

The N900 and X2 are both around €600 sim-free, whilst the N97 is around €480.

I'm on Meteor PAYG and would like to stay on that but Meteors handset choice is shocking at best !

Anyone have any experience with these handsets ?

Anyone have any other suggestions ? My requirements are good camera, WiFi and a QWERTY keyboard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Howdie folks,

I picked up a SE C902 in Belfast last year on O2 UK to replace my N73. (O2 UK phones are sim free once purchased with a sim and £20 credit) I found the N73, although to be a good phone, to have slowed down so much it was barely usable. The C902 was my first ever SE after a string Nokias and Sharp phones. I love it but I'm starting to get bored of it. It's never put a foot wrong, still as fast as the day I bought it, couldn't fault one single thing about it.

So I'm looking to upgrade and have narrowed it down to these three;

Sony Ericsson Xperia X2

Nokia N900 (Doesn't run Symbian OS, so shouldn't slow down so I'm lead to believe)

Nokia N97 (Does have a Symbian OS but I really like the build and feel of it)

The N900 and X2 are both around €600 sim-free, whilst the N97 is around €480.

I'm on Meteor PAYG and would like to stay on that but Meteors handset choice is shocking at best !

Anyone have any experience with these handsets ?

Anyone have any other suggestions ? My requirements are good camera, WiFi and a QWERTY keyboard.

you can get the N97 or N97 mini here for about 430euro delivered from a reputable dealer, unlocked and a year warranty. I'm contemplating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The mini is just a smaller N97 right ? Same features etc ?

Usually shop on www.phonesonline.ie found them to be good before but it has been a while since I bought from them last. The more I look at the X2 though the more I want it ! But I prefer the Nokia Maps as they're preloaded as opposed to Google maps which need to be downloaded on the fly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    The mini is just a smaller N97 right ? Same features etc ?

I'm looking into it as I'm trying to decide which one to buy. Apparently one of the operators dropped the N97 for the mini because of problems. The N97 is a little bit smaller, revised keyboard with no fm radio and 8gb memory but can have more additional memory than the N97. The N97 has 32gb memory but some people are saying they like it and others saying they have problems.

check out the thread I started on N97 v N97 mini for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Have friends in the states saying to stay away from the N97 as well and to either wait for the X2 or N900.

X2 is due out shortly and it appears to be simply awesome ! Still very pricey though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

X2.... Meh... Windows Mobile & Resistive TS = no thanks. WM is going to be extinct in the next 2 years. X10 will be out February, seems like the perfect phone.

I'd say go with the N900 if you must go for one of those options.. its up to you in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement