Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub €500 i5 build.

Options
  • 27-11-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Just wondering, can it be done? Everything is needed except OS and might as well exclude keyboard and mouse! if a 22inch monitor can be had and keeping it close to 500 too then i'd like to know! Also, I'm aware that the DDR3 will be putting pressure on the budget, so 2GB suffice for the purpose of this excercise.

Does anybody have and help/advice? I'm unfamiler with the online retailers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Edited I didn't know i5's needed DDR3, and didn't read the mainboards spec, now stop getting thick about it **cough** Venom **cough**

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mister Man wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=492762 theres you Core i5
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312054 DDR2 i know, mix it up yo
    if it cant be used
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=451108 Motherboard(Again mix it up
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404885 PSU (Good PSU)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331024 HDD (personly id just rip your old one out of your PC same asyour DVD, But will list everythin)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=498976 DVD/rw
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=572609 Case (Might not suit you, have a look yourself)

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=573129 Monitor

Now i didnt price that at all, but i dont think it when over 500,If it did just change a few things around

Dont offer advice if you havent a clue what you doing :rolleyes:

The motherboard you listed is for intel 775 chips not i5 and the ram is DDR2 not DDR3 which i5's need.

OP I dont believe you can build a whole i5 system for €500 without keeping some of your old hardware and OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CompuFreak

Venom wrote: »
    +1.
    @ Mister Man: What was that about?
    OP I dont believe you can build a whole i5 system for €500.
    Not up for the challenge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you want the i5 for non gaming purposes and will get by with onboard graphics then I would say probably.

EDIT: Oh with a monitor? Hmm...

CompuFreak wrote: »
    +1.
    @ Mister Man: What was that about?

Not up for the challenge?

Well even with the cheapest chip, mobo and ram you gonna be hitting the best part of 400 notes. If you can reuse existing case, PSU, GPU, HD and DVD drives along with your OS we can get you a running system. Or maybe have a think about an AMD system?

• Advertisement

Also I didn't mention graphics requirements. Perhaps something suited to the following: 1080p playback, encoding, 3D graphics rendering, movie making, light gaming.

Well even with the cheapest chip, mobo and ram you gonna be hitting the best part of 400 notes.

Thought with e-tailers and 2GB ram (as it's v expensive at the mo) that those could be had for 300?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The motherboard you listed is for intel 775 chips not i5 and the ram is DDR2 not DDR3 which i5's need.

OP I dont believe you can build a whole i5 system for €500 without keeping some of your old hardware and OS.
    lol,agreed on the mobo.
    I agree, min for i5 would be ~700euro

cpu + ram + mobo will be ~370Euro, no way youll get a gfx card + case + psu + dvd drive + hard drive + delivery for 130euro

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

€500 would be tight, and wholly relies on the premise that the 22" monitor is purchased at the rate of a "five-fingered discount" :D

With said monitor it just ain't happening :o

Insane guesstimate with HWVS/eBuyer cheese factor turned up to Maximum :D

i5 - €160
    Mobo - €80
    DDR3 - €40 for a single 2GB stick
    Graphics - €25
    HDD - €35+
    PSU - €30 for a ~300W Antec Basiq
    Case - €30
    Monitor - €130+
    P&P - €20-30

Subtotal - €550 not including even a DVD burner! :o

EDIT: Close enough :o You could cut a couple more corners - 80GB HDD, HD3450 graphics, and a cack-but-pretty JCP tower case containing a 500W PSU (of dubious vintage) puts HWVS at €525 for what is all things considered a pretty desperate machine :o And the RAM prices have just gone up AGAIN!! :mad: HWVS are looking for €50 for a single 2GB stick of bog-standard DDR3-1333 :eek:

Solitaire wrote: »
    €500 would be tight, and wholly relies on the premise that the 22" monitor is purchased at the rate of a "five-fingered discount" :D

i5 - €160
    Mobo - €80+
    DDR3 - €40+ for a single 2GB stick
    Graphics - €25
    HDD - €35+
    Case - €30
    Monitor - €130+
    P&P - €20-30

Not bad. 550 is quite good for a relatively new platform. (3/4 months?)
    A similar Dell/OEM would be 700++ i can imagine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is it AMD time yet? :)

Don't start, Didn't know i5's need DDR3, and didn't readthe spec of motherboard.. I could throw a smart comment at you, but i'll raise above it....Unlike you clearly...I'm a AMDman anyway

marco_polo wrote: »
    Is it AMD time yet? :)
    Not yet. We all know this IS amd's turf.

Don't start, Didn't know i5's need DDR3, and didn't readthe spec of motherboard.. I could throw a smart comment at you, but i'll raise above it....Unlike you clearly...I'm a AMDman anyway

Yeah offering advice on system builds without reading the required spec :rolleyes: Ya dont happen to work for Foxconn do you?

you can build a good AMD quad core for 500

yeah but cmon, if he'd ordered that stuff it would be useless.

Not bad. 550 is quite good for a relatively new platform. (3/4 months?)
    A similar Dell/OEM would be 700++ i can imagine

The spec Sol gave would give pretty craptastic performance tho.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    cpu + ram + mobo will be ~370Euro, no way youll get a gfx card + case + psu + dvd drive + hard drive + delivery for 130euro
    Ye have little faith. Comes to 314.50. Dunno if the board is any good mind. 2 GB RAM to keep costs down. Is Komplett the cheapest? (free pickup too!)

The spec Sol gave would give pretty craptastic performance tho.
    agreed, and better off not skimping on PSU/case for the simple fact that it wont have to be replaced for the next build.
    Ye have little faith. Comes to 314.50. Dunno if the board is any good mind. 2 GB RAM to keep costs down. Is Komplett the cheapest?
    Its a mini ATX mobo, useless for expansion, good if youre building a media rig using it in a small case.
    Also that doesnt include postage :)

Nah, Komplett arent the cheapest, i use overclockers.co.uk as their postage is cheap to ireland( 20euro ) and only takes a day and a half, but im sure theres cheaper again.

Is upto you,but i wouldnt advise getting a cheapy mobo or 2Gig ram.

Yeah offering advice on system builds without reading the required spec :rolleyes: Ya dont happen to work for Foxconn do you?

Anymore smart comments? or are you all out?? As i said didn't read the spec of the motherboard, so what??? Shoot me for it!!!! and as said didn't know i5's need DDR3, Just trying to help.... Im going to leave it there, fell free to get the last word and a smart comment it, but i won't let you raise me....Have a nice day now Venom :)

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    yeah but cmon, if he'd ordered that stuff it would be useless.

True and i would take the blame for the stupid post of mine, but stil even if he hit order he could ahve cancelled it

i5 - €160
    Mobo - €80
    DDR3 - €40 for a single 2GB stick
    Graphics - €25
    HDD - €35+
    Case - €30
    Monitor - €130+
    P&P - €20-30

EDIT: Close enough :o You could cut a couple more corners - 80GB HDD, HD3450 graphics, and a cack-but-pretty JCP tower case containing a 500W PSU (of dubious vintage) puts HWVS at €525 for what is all things considered a pretty desperate machine :o And the RAM prices have just gone up AGAIN!! :mad: HWVS are looking for €50 for a single 2GB stick of bog-standard DDR3-1333 :eek:

I'll be honest. I was really pushing it, dare i say, extracting the proverbial when i said I'd like it to include a monitor. I need a monitor. However. I wouldn't expect any decent rig to come with a decent monitor AND make it under 500.

So what sort of system could be had for 500 ex. monitor and OS?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

DID IT! €479 for a dung-heap eBuyer system that may or may not work! With cutting-edge GeForce 7200LE graphics, 2Gb slow-ass DDR3-1066 and an awesome 80GB HDD! Just mind you don't vomit on the Casecom case, tempting though it may be!*

*DVD Writer sold seperately

roflmao.gif

Do you mind me asking why you only want a i5 ?

DID IT! €479 for a dung-heap eBuyer system that may or may not work! With cutting-edge GeForce 7200LE graphics, 2Gb slow-ass DDR3-1066 and an awesome 80GB HDD! Just mind you don't vomit on the Casecom case, tempting though it may be!*

roflmao.gif
    lol, thats good going, would be a $hit rig though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Do you mind me asking why you only want a i5 ?

Because it's the best price/performance around?

roflmao.gif
    Kudos man. Seriously. But would that be in anyway upgradeble for the future?

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    not if you stick a 285 in it :)

Leman_Russ wrote: »

But the i5 price/performance ratio is zero on a budget of 500 Euro

• Advertisement

Kudos man. Seriously. But would that be in anyway upgradeble for the future?
    yep, just replace gfx card, psu, case, ram and hard drive and youll have great rig.

Advertisement