Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great White concert fire

• 27-11-2009 10:43pm

Found this video of the Great White incident and thought some people on here would find it interesting

for anyone not familiar with the story

"killing 100 people, four of whom died after being admitted to local hospitals. The fire was caused when pyrotechnic sparks, set off by the tour manager of the evening's headlining band, Great White, ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings around the stage, creating a flash fire that engulfed the club in 5 1/2 minutes. Some 230 people were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. Video footage of the fire depicts the astonishing rapidity of its initial growth, the quickness with which stampeding patrons blocked the front entrance, and the ensuing pandemonium as several people tried desperately to help, by whatever means possible, those attempting to escape the building, which, by that time, was already gushing black smoke."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

They really were asking for trouble with that size and style of pyrotechnic on such a small stage. Very sad footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus christ! Listened to Great White when I was younger. Never heard of this incident. Shocking footage. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I saw Great White play a few times in the 90's, great band.

I heard all about the fire when it happened but have never seen this clip, very very sad :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

scudzilla wrote: »
    I saw Great White play a few times in the 90's, great band.

I heard all about the fire when it happened but have never seen this clip, very very sad :(:(

At least there were prosecutions, not like the Stardust where money was handed to Eamon Butterly for murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's unreal, very, very sad footage. The cameraman seems to have been the only one that decided to head to the back as soon as he saw the small flames at the side of the stage.

Just noticed the person that is actually on fire as they're leaving the building at the end of the video. jesus christ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remember that, shocking stuff. I'm pretty sure there is thread about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The cameraman seems to have been the only one that decided to head to the back as soon as he saw the small flames at the side of the stage.

Funnily enough (For no use of a better term) the camera man was there on behalf of some safety thing to film the concert.

Would explain why he was so quick to run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I seem to remember one of the band members was killed as well (can't remember which one). The speed of it was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Roanmore wrote: »
    I seem to remember one of the band members was killed as well (can't remember which one). The speed of it was shocking.
    Yep, Ty Longley was killed in the fire, he was the band's lead guitarist at the time. I remember this happening, it was horrendous.

Advertisement