Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American to Euro adapter plugs

Options
  • 27-11-2009 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

I bought something from America that obviously has an american style plug. So now I need to try and find (as quick as possible preferably) a plug that has the American plug one one side and the irish adapter on the other. Its the reverse of what you can find in dunnes and tesco so does anyone know anywhere that might have any of these in stock? Would like to get them in an electrical shop 2moro save buying on the internet. I made a mistake in the topic title, obviously again I mean an american to Irish adapter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shouldn't be too hard to find as we do get lots of US tourists over: Conboy, that electrical shop on Market street, another electrical shop on Forster street, maybe Boots or Maplin. Currys, Woodies.

Argos UK but they prob have it here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Magnus wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too hard to find as we do get lots of US tourists over: Conboy, that electrical shop on Market street, another electrical shop on Forster street, maybe Boots or Maplin. Currys, Woodies.
    Cheers, will have a look about thought it might be harder than that to get one but will have a look around, cheers.

Does anyone know for definite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What kind of appliance is it ?

A shaver adapter would do for low power stuff.

Are you sure it will work on 220V,if not you'll need a transformer.I've seen them in hardware stores.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

B&Q do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Debenham's do them for definite, saw them today.

• Advertisement

What kind of appliance is it ?

A shaver adapter would do for low power stuff.

Are you sure it will work on 220V,if not you'll need a transformer.I've seen them in hardware stores.

Its a set of Dj decks, so dont want to risk it, its been enough money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Tourist Centre should do them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Its a set of Dj decks, so dont want to risk it, its been enough money
    My DJ pal said be careful, you *more than likely* need a transformer as well as an adapter, sometimes you can get 2 in 1.

Some devices (like mac laptops) will take the higher voltage without a transformer, but decks or audio stuff is dodgy

Try travel section in shops too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

You can definitely get the transformer adaptors in Maplin, saw them there last week. Check the voltage on the appliance though first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Computer Power supply's have a switch on the back to change from 110 to 220. I have american DJ gear and they don't have a switchable PSU so you will need a stepdown transformer, I got mine from Maplin. You need to find the power draw for your device and match the stepdown transformer to it. I have a 300w which power a set of rackmount decks and a mixer. Cost me E70

Just checked them there, they are 125v, so i'm going to have to get the converters aswell:( I'm so broke after paying the customs charge on them, where would be the cheapest place to get the adapter and converter?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My first pick for cost-effective would be the electrical shop on Forster St, next to An Pucan.

It looks kinda old/messy from the outside, the guy has an interesting look to him, but his prices are generally very good (despite being in the middle of the tourist-zone!) and he knows what he's talking about.

If you ever go to Maplin, make sure to compare prices between then and PC World (just across the car-park), I've found some surprising differences between 'em (both ways).

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Dea kavanagh electic on market street sell the american transformers and adaptors, usually good prices

Cheers for the replies, got sorted today at home so alls good. Thanks.

Advertisement