Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the hell do I turn the hot water back on!!?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

OK so basically our heating in our apartment hasnt been on since we moved in - it works off a gas boiler. Tonight i tried turning it on and although the gas heats up the water the rads were not coming on.

Basically I went into the hot press and started turning a few leavers.
    Somehow I managed to turn on the radiators which got hot - first time they would have been on in months. But I somehow managed to turn off the hot water. So if i turn a tap to the hot setting nothing comes out.

How the hell do I turn the hot water back on!!?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have attached a picture of the leavers in the hot press.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Kinda hard to figure it out, maybe someone with more experience will post soon....

But, the bottom right-most valve (twisty type - not a lever) looks like it's on the flow pipe to the coil which heats your water. Is this open? (turned fully anti-clockwise)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Kinda hard to figure it out, maybe someone with more experience will post soon....

But, the bottom right-most valve (twisty type - not a lever) looks like it's on the flow pipe to the coil which heats your water. Is this open? (turned fully anti-clockwise)

Yes I have turned this all the way anti clockwise but still nothing. I don't have a clue about this stuff but is it possible that because the rads havent been on in months, all the hot water flowed into the rads leaving none in the hot water tank or something? This is a nightmare! the shower works off the emertion aswell so no shower unless I can figure it out!

The water in the tank is separate to the water that flows through your rads. The water in the tank is heated by passing hot water through a coil in the tank, so the two never mix. Effectively the water flowing through your rads also flows through a coil in your tank and subsequently heats the water inside the tank, which then comes out your taps. Hope that makes some sense (sorry it's late!!!)

Anyway, is there any water at all coming from the hot tap? Cold water? Or just nothing?

The water in the tank is separate to the water that flows through your rads. The water in the tank is heated by passing hot water through a coil in the tank, so the two never mix. Effectively the water flowing through your rads also flows through a coil in your tank and subsequently heats the water inside the tank, which then comes out your taps. Hope that makes some sense (sorry it's late!!!)

Anyway, is there any water at all coming from the hot tap? Cold water? Or just nothing?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Nothing coming from the hot tap at all. When I turn it on at first some water comes out for about 2 or 3 seconds and then it just stops altogether.

Ok, should be simple to fix so. The twisty valve at the top - is that open (fully anti clockwise)

Is there any other valves anywhere that you were messing with that aren't in the pic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

colman1212 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Nothing coming from the hot tap at all. When I turn it on at first some water comes out for about 2 or 3 seconds and then it just stops altogether.

Sounds like an air lock in the hot water system. you wouldn't by any chance have mixer taps with a shower hose attached on your bath, would you ? I know a lot of apartments don't have baths these days, but if you have, theres a neat little trick for removing air in the water pipes.

No the only valves I was messing with are in the attached picture - havent changed anything else. I dont have a bath in the house at all I'm afraid.

I thought I turned the valve you can see at the top of the picture but it seems really tight now - like ridiculously tight. I'm not sure though. Is it possible it could just lock up or something. Also is it possible I just need to let the hot water tank fill up or something?

Yes they can get really tight sometimes. Will it not turn at all? in either direction? It looks like this is the pipe that supplies the hot water to your taps so if the valve is closed, you wont have any water.

Yes they can get really tight sometimes. Will it not turn at all? in either direction? It looks like this is the pipe that supplies the hot water to your taps so if the valve is closed, you wont have any water.

Legend - Thanks a million - This was just completely stuck.
    Turned it and now I have hot water! thanks for all your help - life saver!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ok. If you have no luck with the valve's then have a look at this.

Edit. glad you got it sorted. :)

• Advertisement

colman1212 wrote: »
    Legend - Thanks a million - This was just completely stuck.
    Turned it and now I have hot water! thanks for all your help - life saver!!!!!

No problem. Glad to be able to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Let us know how it works out after 24 hours. That wheel at the bottom looks like its linked to your heating and not your water, By opening it all the way you might have unbalanced it.

Advertisement