Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin G wireless router set up help.

Options
  • 27-11-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi All,

Today I bought a Belkin G wireless basic home connectivity router. I have a chorus broadband modem so i plugged everything in correctly followed the instructions on the cd rom and it showed that evryting was working fine. However when I unplug the wire from the laptop to the router I can't connect wirelessly. The network name doesn't even show up on the list of available networks. All I want to be able to do is take the laptop up to my bedroom and just cannot get this thing to work for me. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

katieboo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Today I bought a Belkin G wireless basic home connectivity router. I have a chorus broadband modem so i plugged everything in correctly followed the instructions on the cd rom and it showed that evryting was working fine. However when I unplug the wire from the laptop to the router I can't connect wirelessly. The network name doesn't even show up on the list of available networks. All I want to be able to do is take the laptop up to my bedroom and just cannot get this thing to work for me. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Just a few things you need to check first. Is the wireless light on the Router? Is the wifi enabled on your Latop? You should have a light that is lit GREEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

I don't see any extra lights coming on. I think i have a problem with the earthnet controller driver. I have an acer aspire 5050 and i can't figure out how to fix this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

Hi Katieboo,

Need a bit more info to understand what's happening. You say you can't see the network name in the available networks, right? Can you see any networks at all, or is it an empty list?

If you can see any other network, it sounds like the problem is your router, not your computer.

On the router there are a couple of indicator lights, take a look at the setup guide that came with it to see which is which. What is the colour of each light? Is it on/off/flashing? The lights are modem;power;security and wireless.

It's possible that the network is active but not broadcasting the network name for security reasons - if the 'wireless' light on the router is on and green, try this:
    Using a computer that is connected to the Router through a network cable (as opposed to wirelessly), ensure that “Broadcast SSID” is enabled. This setting is found on the Router’s wireless “Channel and SSID” configuration page.

Let us know how you get on...

tuco

*edit*

Another thing to check - how old is your laptop? Is the laptop wireless card built in or is it USB? If USB, how old? There are different generations of wifi - b and g are the most common, but if your laptop/wireless card is a few years old it might not support 'g'. In the same page where you check the 'Broadcast SSID' setting, have a look at the 'Wireless Mode'. If it's "G only" or somethign like that, try changing it to "mixed b and g" (or something similar)

Hi Tuco,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried the things you suggested but no joy. At this stage my network is showing up on the list of wireless netwoks but I can't connect to it and if I do the connection drops again after a minute, so now it's just connecting and dissconnecting by itself. I've been at this since yesterday and i am going off my nut now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

Hi,

Know the feeling (see my thread 'Friday night mystery').

Ok, so the SSID broadcast is on - good.

What about the 'Wireless Mode' - B/G/B&G?

Your computer sometimes sees the network and even connects - good, but need more info. When you say it connects - how far do you get? Are you asked to enter a WEP key? When you connect, do you get as far as opening a web page? This is really important to know, if you've ever managed to connect to the internet while connected to the new router let us know. If you're connecting successfully, then disconnecting it could be interference or a few other things.

tuco

• Advertisement

It's just connecting automatically. Not asking for any network key. Been on solid now for a bout 3 mins. I do have a magic eye going between tv's here as well. Would that cause interference i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

katieboo wrote: »
    It's just connecting automatically. Not asking for any network key. Been on solid now for a bout 3 mins. I do have a magic eye going between tv's here as well. Would that cause interference i wonder?

Your connecting without a password?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If magic eye is a tv sender then you are 'doomed' :) They are disastrous for wireless networks. Turn it off get rid of it etc etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Your connecting without a password?

mehmeh12 its ok take a hot whiskey and go to bed:) I know these things are a shock to your system:)

Advertisement