Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like reading a book on a screen???

Options
  • 28-11-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I some times read books on my laptop...I find that this often leads to eye strain and a bit of a headace. :(
    I know that amazon have the kindle and there are other devices out there, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on the issue - which is better
    A book or a device??!!??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I will never, ever, ever start reading books online.

It can't compare to reading it the right way out of a book, or maybe I'm just an old fogie before my time. :)

The computer will never overtake the good ol' fashioned way of reading out of a book, it just doesn't have the same .. feel to it, if that makes much sense. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Can't beat a book for authenticity I think!!! I love sitting down and physically turning the page on a book... I love books and don't think e books should replace traditional books!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I quite like audiobooks though-especially on nights when you cant sleep but are still awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No. Hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

No, I think reading from a screen will always feel like work for me. If they fix the e-readers so they don't flash black everytime you turn the page, I'd think about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've no moral objection to reading a book on a computer but hate the idea that these amazon kindle things will take off - the death of the hand held book I fear! My only real problem with reading e-books personally is that they hurt my eyes and its far too uncomfertable to be forced to sit in one place to read something.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

Has one Actually used a Kindle and say the Sony Reader? Are they all they claim or are they just hyped up LCD screens??
    I agree that you just cannot beat a REAL book but as these can be so expensive are e-books the way things going???
    Is this the vinyl Record and the mp3 all over again?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I love the smell of new books too: e readers will never replace books for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

You know there is a difference between the Kindle or Sony e-reader and traditional LCD/ laptop screens. The e-readers don't have a backlight so supposedly that means that it is just like reading from paper so you don't get the eye strain that you would when reading from a laptop.

I personally can't wait for e-readers to really take off. Sure I love reading a good book but the thoughts of being able to have hundreds of books and newspapers on one device is very appealing. If I go on holidays, I usually end up bringing 5 or 6 books to read so it would be so much handier to have an e-reader.

Now they only have to produce a decent one worth buying.

I, for one, welcome our new e-reader overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MrEko

I have and reguraly use a sony reader. It has no backlight and the screen looks like paper so I dont strain my eyes. I am not going to say that you should all buy one but give one a shot before you knock it.

I find that is essential on plane trips, holidays, any travel where you will be away from your book shelf for a length of time. I used to take at least 5 books with me on holidays, not counting the ones I bought in the airport and it used to take all my bag space. Now i just buy them on ebook before I go and maybe take one or two paper backs with me.

It is not a replacement for normal books but more of an addon. I still buy physical books but I will also buy ebooks. I mean, you still buy CDs as well as use iTunes, right? Why should books be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I love my sony reader... best gadget ever. No eyestrain, I got used to it in about 5 minutes.

I'm not a huge reader (and this is my first visit to this forum I believe, I seen the topic on the main page) but I personally prefer to read from a screen.

Maybe I'm just an awkward or clumsy person, but i find it very uncomfortable lying down, or sitting in an arch to read a book. I much prefer to be able to sit back and relax in a chair, looking straight towards a screen. Much more comfortable, plus I don't need to worry about lighting, and I can adjust the size of the text to suit my liking.

I've been using a computer pretty much every day for the last three or four years, for hours on end without break so I don't get the sore eyes or headaches that much at all.

Therefore, I'd rather a "virtual" book, to a real one.

Regarding the SONY reader and such devices... If they have no backlight... How the hell do you see the writing? Surely you don't have to read it in direct light? And if you do, doesn't that mean you'd be also causing a reflection on the screen? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

I think it's generally a bad idea to be honest. The brightness of laptop or PC screens isn't actually good for your eyes and their practicalities really destroy the idea. Battery life is limited, freedom of movement as well, trying to read even a well lit screen in direct sunlight is a pointless escapade.

The kindle and Sony Reader get over these problems with having a non-backlit screen (yes, that means you have to read them in some form of lighting just like a book, which is what you SHOULD DO ANYWAY, for the sake of your eyes - if you think it's safe for you to stare at a bright screen in a completely dark room then you are mad, it's really bad for your eyes). Their screen backings are light coloured (as opposed to the usual black that LCD's are) and I think LCD characters form on screen in darker colours and it looks very readable. Problem is there effing price, they are ridiculously expensive for what they actually are.

Although I hate books with strong spines which keep trying to close but you wreck them if you stretch them hard. YOU JUST CAN'T WIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

as much as i think its a good idea in a way to have loads of books on one device!
    it will NEVER get rid of the feeling of grabing a book and a cup of tea and just relaxing! plus your eyes wont get worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

Ok here is another aspect to this question..
    Are we being ripped off with the cost of a published book???
    The point of view I am coming from is the same as that of the music industry where the cost of a download is tiny compared with that of buying a CD. Don't get me wrong I think authors deserve all their royalties, but are we suffering to maintain publishers profits??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

Are we not being ripped off in regards to music as well? you say the comparable cost is much less, but at 99/1.29 a track multiplied by 18 track average - thats still 17+?

I think we will see book and eBook prices come down over the coming years, but as you say, Authors deserve all they get if not more.
    Ordin73 wrote: »
    Ok here is another aspect to this question..
    Are we being ripped off with the cost of a published book???
    The point of view I am coming from is the same as that of the music industry where the cost of a download is tiny compared with that of buying a CD. Don't get me wrong I think authors deserve all their royalties, but are we suffering to maintain publishers profits??

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

We are definitely being ripped off in regards books and music, but the advantage to this is using torrent to get your favourite e-books and finally having a viable medium to put the on, a reader. Downloading a 400 page PDF and trying to read it on a laptop or PC screen is a horrible idea.

We are definitely being ripped off in regards books and music, but the advantage to this is using torrent to get your favourite e-books and finally having a viable medium to put the on, a reader. Downloading a 400 page PDF and trying to read it on a laptop or PC screen is a horrible idea.

and funnily enough, 60% of eBook readers still read on pc/laptop screens. Reader programs such as my favourite - Adobe Digital Editions - do make the experience a little easier.

regarding Torrents, I see where you are coming from, but for books in copyright, its ultimately the author who suffers, which I dont agree with personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ordin73 wrote: »
    Has one Actually used a Kindle and say the Sony Reader? Are they all they claim or are they just hyped up LCD screens??
    I agree that you just cannot beat a REAL book but as these can be so expensive are e-books the way things going???
    Is this the vinyl Record and the mp3 all over again?:confused:

You can not compare an eReader with a monitor. It is totally different technology. My understanding is that a page on an eReader is only rendered once - it doesn't continuously refresh like a computer screen. I need to wear glasses for computer use, but not while using my book reader or a normal book.

I wish people would actually try these devices out for a couple of days before dismissing them altogether.

eoin wrote: »
    You can not compare an eReader with a monitor. It is totally different technology. My understanding is that a page on an eReader is only rendered once - it doesn't continuously refresh like a computer screen. I need to wear glasses for computer use, but not while using my book reader or a normal book.

I wish people would actually try these devices out for a couple of days before dismissing them altogether.

I agree with you Eoin. It's funny - people are naturally wary of new technology, but it changes when its in their hands. I have serious trouble getting my readers back off people once I loan them out! Including my Grandmother!
    regarding the screens, the best ones - e-ink - are virtually identical to a book page in terms of contrast etc. As they are not backlit, there is virtually no strain on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I love reading books, but would be willing to give an E-Reader a go. I go through so many books that I run out of places to store them. I'm spending a year traveling now and wish I had invested in an E-Reader for while I am. I hate reading off my laptop, but E-Readers are supposed to be a lot better. That said, having an E-Reader definitely wouldn't stop me buying actual books.

I'd recommend an ereader highly. Despit the fact that I sell eBooks for a living, I actually really enjoy eBooks myself.(I'm my biggest customer!) The whole reason I set up the website was because I couldnt get eBooks here in Ireland to read on my e-reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

regi wrote: »
    I love my sony reader... best gadget ever. No eyestrain, I got used to it in about 5 minutes.

Are yo able to put PDF's on it?
    Can you download from the internet, or do you have to buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I think e-book readers need a few more years to mature. Colour ink, quicker page turning and maybe animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

Love it. I started reading on an old Palm - whatever they were called - many years ago, and moved to a Pocket PC before ending up with my current arrangement of reading on my iPhone. I rarely read on the laptop, though I have all the various software I use installed there too. I haven't been convinced by Kindle yet, though I'm tempted, because even their "small" version is larger/heavier than what I want to carry.

There are some factors that influenced my choice, though; I have to travel a lot and being able to carry my library in a tiny device is priceless to me. (Not to mention the fact that said device is also my phone AND music/video player AND game machine AND internet device AND address book etc which really helps keep the carry on within limits.) I love to keep books I've enjoyed and have NO storage space at home. My phone is easier to hold than a book, can be read at night without disturbing the OH, and the range of published material available to me is huge compared to the local bookshop. I used to have to order from the UK or the US to get the books I wanted, now I just download.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but eyestrain has never been an issue (and I'm not one of the younger crowd on this site). I am shortsighted and tend to read without my glasses for hours on end (when it's something I can't put down!) with no problems.

And YES, we are definitely being ripped off just as with the music industry. Paper and printing plus transport and distribution of printed material can't be all that cheap compared to electronic downloads!

Are yo able to put PDF's on it?
    Can you download from the internet, or do you have to buy online?

Yes you can view pdf's on e-readers. The text can be small in original review, but you can zoom in which is fine. Occasionally there are issues with the layout once you zoom in.
    You have a couple of options regarding eBooks. There are millions of books - Charles Dickens, Black Beauty, The Illiad etc available fre ethrough may websites online.

More recent books, in copright are available online through a variety of stores and in a variety of formats. For Sony Readers, epub is the best format, followed by pdf. Note that many eBooks available in US stores cannot be downloaded here due to geographic restrictions.
    There is only one eBook store in Ireland.

let me know if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That would be a benefit for people to like to read manuals, but the vast majority of books I've ever bought are in black and white. The page turn takes a while to get used to, but in practice it doesn't really take that much longer than focusing your eyes from the bottom of the right hand page to the top left of a standard book.

They are definitely not perfect, but closer to reading real books than a lot of people give them credit for.

• Advertisement

blubloblu wrote: »
    I think e-book readers need a few more years to mature. Colour ink, quicker page turning and maybe animation.

How about this?

Advertisement