Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like reading a book on a screen???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I have read a large number of eBooks on my laptop computer. Because of disability I am unable to turn over pages. I control my computer completely with my voice.

This is obviously a very active forum. In the past I have got my eBooks from Fictionwise but the books I want to buy are not always available.

Some of the American sites to have special offers and are very much cheaper but are "GEOGRAPHICALLY restricted" for people in America only.

Can anybody recommend a site for modern fiction?

Another problem with eBooks is that I cannot pass them on to my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

By the way, I've posted this on a couple of similar threads, but these are the two sites I use at the moment:

www.booksonboard.com - sign up to Google Checkout, and when you are adding your credit card, set your billing address to one in the US. This isn't verified. You will then be able to buy no problems.

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com - works fine with an Irish address, but some books will be removed at checkout. You'll be charged the same price as US customers though.

I just got the new Michael Connelly book for under $10 - which was over $20 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

let me know if you have any more questions.

One very broad one.
    Which e-reader would you say is best, Kindle, Illiad, Sony etc.
    Keeping in mind battery power, range of file types catered for and memory capacity. Also the ability to mine Project Gutenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

I have the old Sony prs-505 which I love and many people prefer to the newer ones in terms of screen quality etc.
    Kindle I have mixed feelings about. Screen and overall tech/aesthetics are pretty good, but the fact Amazon can come into your device and delete books worries me a little. Also, despite their availability worldwide now, you cant download eBooks on the move like in America which takes away one of its main selling features/advantages.

Also, it depends very much on what you want to do with it. For light reading and portability I would go with the Sony pocket reader. for something more advanced including wireless access to libraries, wait for the Sony Daily Edition coming in the new year.

One very broad one.
    Which e-reader would you say is best, Kindle, Illiad, Sony etc.
    Keeping in mind battery power, range of file types catered for and memory capacity. Also the ability to mine Project Gutenberg.

Battery power is similar in all. About 6000-800 page turns (turning the page is the only power usage - displaying it requires none)
    File types catered for are broad on all, except maybe kindle where you are restricted to their file types, although I believe pdf compatability has just arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I already use my laptop computer which is always plugged in.

My favourite eReader is Mobipocket (I'm not sure of the spelling). The advantage of this the colour is very easily changed the background and text.

Also I can have two the pages is opened at the same time in the same way as eReader but not Microsoft Reader as far as I know.

Does anyone on this active forum know where a good site for reviews of books? Particularly modern fiction, Booker prizewinners nomination etc.

I have recently found this site e-book.com but I have not investigated it yet. I am familiar with the site diesel but I was very disappointed with Waterstones Barnes & Noble.

When registering with Barnes & Noble in America I gave an American address but I was still restricted in what I could get.

I've found goodreads.com to be great for reviews.
    I'm hoping to have their reviews on our site for all the ebooks shortly.

Advertisement