Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you left behind some money in an ATM today

Options
  • 28-11-2009 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

go check with the guards, 'cause we handed it in to them.

You'll have to tell them which ATM, what time (approximate), and how much money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fair play for handing it in. It was obviously someones lucky day that you came along when you did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Good to see honesty is still alive and well, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

fair play!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Drinks are on the guards tonight so!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you come to an ATM and see money in it (and are honest) are you not best to wait for it to suck the money back in as the bank will not take it from the account then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

What happens if no one claims it? What do the guards do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I didn't know ATMs do that.

Also, we needed to use the ATM, & we were in a hurry. (Then it took 45 minutes to drive to and from Mill St... sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I wonder if they'd ever look up the security tape for you if that happened and the next person nicked..I suppose it is technically nicking it, maybe not..hmm.
    They would have the bank acc of the next person, unless it was just a passer by.

Oh there's a short film in here somewhere!:D

Fair play Xiney!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I shouldn't really be taking all the credit. Mr Xiney was a force to be reckoned with and would barely hear talk of keeping it.

(He is honestly the nicest guy that ever walked the earth)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Xiney wrote: »
    You'll have to tell them which ATM, what time (approximate), and how much money.

Gwan give's a hint :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I am a true believer that your good will; will come back to you some day.

My Father in Law left money in the ATM one night and the guy who found it was badly stuck. It was in around Xmas too. The lad who found it felt the luck would come back to him so searched for the person who lost it.

I don't work with ATMs but I think they have 2 safety features built in;
    1. Card comes up before the money and beeps so you have to take the card first.
    2. If the money if left it will be taken back in and dumped inside so you probably missed the owner by a minute max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭....

Gwan give's a hint :pac:

2 hints.

not in city centre because she had to drive.

about 20 mins drive away from mill street.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Ah, 'tis mine alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Xiney wrote: »
    go check with the guards, 'cause we handed it in to them.

Nice. But if you had taken it CCTV footage would have got you.

I once (like an idiot) left my ATM card in machine after I had entered the pin (got distracted) the next user took money from the machine.

I reported it to gards and 3 days later they got the guy and got the money back. There is no hidding place from ATM's, most of them have 2 CCTV cameras on them.

Of course you totally did the right thing and you should be commended. So easy to keep it and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I really hope I'm wrong about this but from my experience the guards are the last people I'd trust with a wad of cash that belonged to someone else. Perhaps that's just my cynicism coming though though and the fact that any guards I've had runs in with have been the bad apples in the basket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You should have just left it for another minute and it would have gone back into the machine.

Then again, you weren't to know, so you did what you thought was the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP- well done for the 'honesty'- the simplist solution is phone the bank whoever's ATM it is i.e. BOI, AIB etc- tell them the time, the location and the amount- they will have a record electronically of this, and can easliy write to the customer letting them know where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shanofin

Really though! How much?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Honest Xiney. Maith thú!

I'd rather let the money 'rest' in my account. I'd tell the cops to get the person to contact me rather than hand cash to the cops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement