Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your dream pets

Options
  • 28-11-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

At the moment I have two 'normal' cats but, if things changed and I could get more pets I would love a maine coon cat, the size of them just fasinates me (and I am aware of the health problems they can have) I'd also love a more wild looking cat such as bengal, sahvana(spelling:confused:) even a toyger another cat I would love is something like a blue russian wouldn't have to be a blue russian just that colour.

Pets other than cats would be an african pygmy hedgehog and a chipmonk(saw some in a pet shop, one guy was on his own and and stretched out to grab my finger and wouldn't let go:o, it was so cute). I'd like to have fish as well and birds that do alot of chirping. I'd love to be able to keep chickens too.

When I go into a petshop I want to bring home everything(except maybe spiders and probably snakes, don't like the thought of feeding the snakes) but the ones I have listed are the top ones that I have wanted for ages.

So what are yours? and is your dream a reality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

I remeber when I was younger(30 now) I wanted a monkey :confused:

Had it all worked out and everything, was in my parents house and the garden is about 75 ft long so I had planned to build an enclosure arounf the whole lot of it and let the monkey run free..... I had actually started to build the enclosure with breadboards and chickenwire but needless to say it never happened for some reason ha.

Im a bit more sensible now but apart from dogs Im not really an animal man ie wouldnt have a bird, snake , fish, lizard etc but not taking from anyone that has so on that note the only pet Id really want is s german shepherd and its a reality cos we got one 2 or so months ago, had one when in my parents which is still there and for me they are the `dream`dog/companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

A white german shepard.Love them :)
    2900245928_61afc30243.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Shes a beauty! We just got our girl Finn three weeks ago. She's my dream pet! Sorry for hogging the thread but here she is, still only a baby!
    A white german shepard.Love them :)
    2900245928_61afc30243.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Those white german sheperds are lovely.I always wanted a bulldog,or a puffin,but a dinosaur would be too sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have two bengal crosses. And a blue burmese cross, along with my moggies.

The most important thing to remember is that, even though the animal's appearance may fulfil a fantasy you have for an accessorized pet, they still have their own personalities and characters and even though it might look like something you always wanted, it may not behave that way.

My bengal cross female, who's never been mistreated a day in her life, bites like a bitch (less so now, because we've solved some of her behavioural problems, but it's been quite a bit of work). The male, Hahn, is belligerent, and has mexican standoffs of misbehaving (e.g. I'll find him on the counter, so I'll put him off it and give out. He'll lay his ears flat against his head and jump onto a different part of the counter. This time I'll put him off the counter by carrying him to a different part of the house. Soon as he's on the floor, he races past me, flat ears, and when I get to the kitchen he's up on the counter, "hiding" under the wooden dish rack and refusing point blank to move.)

I love them to bits, and they definitely do respond to consistent treatment and training, but I'd always pick a pet on personality rather than appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I have two bengal crosses. And a blue burmese cross, along with my moggies.

The most important thing to remember is that, even though the animal's appearance may fulfil a fantasy you have for an accessorized pet, they still have their own personalities and characters and even though it might look like something you always wanted, it may not behave that way.

My bengal cross female, who's never been mistreated a day in her life, bites like a bitch (less so now, because we've solved some of her behavioural problems, but it's been quite a bit of work). The male, Hahn, is belligerent, and has mexican standoffs of misbehaving (e.g. I'll find him on the counter, so I'll put him off it and give out. He'll lay his ears flat against his head and jump onto a different part of the counter. This time I'll put him off the counter by carrying him to a different part of the house. Soon as he's on the floor, he races past me, flat ears, and when I get to the kitchen he's up on the counter, "hiding" under the wooden dish rack and refusing point blank to move.)

I love them to bits, and they definitely do respond to consistent treatment and training, but I'd always pick a pet on personality rather than appearance.

I'd put a bad/unsuitable personality as one of the reasons why I wouldn't get a type of pet but we can always dream.

If I do get any of those pets it won't be for years and after some searching for the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

One day I'd love to get my own horse, a 16h Chestnut Gelding with a white blaze on his face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't the time or space to keep one now, but in the futre.................!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

since i was a small child i always wanted a rottie, have tyson 3 years now and he is my dream dog.. :)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Oh the list is only massive!!

I am getting:

A horse - Its been 3 years since my last lady left me. I feel totally empty without one :( I would love a Friesian or a Througherbred x Connemara.

A cat or 7 maybe. I grew up with cats, mum and dad could never turn away a stray so at one point we were sharing a house with 15! until we found some of them new homes. I'd love a big ginger cat and I would call it Pumpkin!

We already have a German Shepherd and a Pointer X who are my dream dogs but I would love another German Shepherd and a Staffie and a Bernese and a Newfie. :o

I had a Donkey for a while to keep one of the horses company so I would love another one or two.

Chickens and Ducks are so funny so I wouldnt mind a few of them.

A Pot Bellied Pig would also be great.

Now, I need a farm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

My ideal dog would have to be a samoyed x norwegian elkhound. Would love a cross between these two. Not for another few years, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

this:
    Axel%20small.jpg
    South Russian Ovtcharka

just a tad too rare and difficult to become reality though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I would love to have a couple of rescue cats and dogs. There is so much animals homeless and i would absolutely love to adopt some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

lisajane wrote: »
    I would love to have a couple of rescue cats and dogs. There is so much animals homeless and i would absolutely love to adopt some.

Well they are easy to get, my two cats are rescue ones. The three legged one picked up from an animal shelter the other was straying for years(someone might have been feeding him but he really needed vet care and cuddles, he's still not fully better yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Orla K wrote: »
    Well they are easy to get, my two cats are rescue ones. The three legged one picked up from an animal shelter the other was straying for years(someone might have been feeding him but he really needed vet care and cuddles, he's still not fully better yet)

I know they are easy to get. But if i get one, they'll be my responsibility and i don't want to land them onto my mother when i go back to college next year, so probably wouldn't have the time or the money for another pet. I already have a cat and dog (well the families pets). But its enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

An andalusian stallion or a chestnut arab stallion with a white blaze a flaxen and mane tail and four white stockings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are a couple of exotic freshwater turtles I'd like to add to my collection, but only if they were captive bred.

I knew a guy when I was a kid that had of all things a fruit bat.:eek: Very cool creature. Remarkably clever and social too. Very friendly. Would hang upside down on his perch and when anyone came into the room would be over like a shot to explore and lick them. He used to let him fly free too(in the summer) and he would come back after an hour or so. A bit smelly though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

a male Lion, grizzly bear, wolf and my dogs that i own now - you did say dream pets? :D maybe a couple of the other "big cats" also probably a wolf pack so they wouldn't get lonely - of course i would still insist they should all sleep in the kitchen cos it's too cold outside haha

FYI as i type this i am in the kitchen, Tyson (Lab/boxer) in his bed to my right, Buldozer (German Shep/Newfie 10 week old puppie we are keeping) kicked his mum out of her bed behind me, Roxy (German Shep rescued while pregnant) asleep on rug to my right, and the other three puppies (Penny, Derrick and Hollie - who's flying to my mums in Yorkshire tomorrow - hence me being up so late updating the old sat nav - which has never heard of Waterford Airport) next to her - ahhh life is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'd love a Norwegian forest cat, but I'd like it (and all subsequent cats from now until eternity) to have the personality of the cat we have now.

Norwegian%20Forest%20Cat.jpg

I don't think I'll ever get one because I don't really believe in paying for pedigree cats when there are so many cats that need a home. We adopted ours from the SPCA and I love that we rescued him and gave him a home (where he is spoiled absolutely rotten!).

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

peasant wrote: »
    this:
    Axel%20small.jpg
    South Russian Ovtcharka

just a tad too rare and difficult to become reality though
    That is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I'd love one of those mini pigs, they don't grow any bigger than 14 inches!

pig1.jpg

Apart from the enormous price tag, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a 'fashion' animal, all my animals are rescues. Who knows, maybe one will turn up at a sanctuary one day and my dream could come true, would just have to persuade hubby I need a piggy!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Morganna wrote: »
    That is lovely

not always ...
    The Southern Russian Sheepdogs were mostly bred by [Soviet] military kennels to be aggressive guard dogs.

Advertisement