Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spinning backfist/elbow

Options
  • 28-11-2009 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

hey guys just a question after conflict in newry tonight, one fighter was knocked out after he stepped into a spinning back fist attempt, instead of the fist connecting the elbow did, just wondering if most promotions allow spinnig backfists?, i know when i fight in kickboxing they are not allowed due to the risk of the elbow connecting. it was a complete accident tonight...but a great shot all the same!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yep.Theyre legal in most promotions that I know of.Heres a good one :) (0:35)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishdownhiller

nasty!! great video, tonight was just as they were backing to the cage...guy got cut as wel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

hey guys just a question after conflict in newry tonight, one fighter was knocked out after he stepped into a spinning back fist attempt, instead of the fist connecting the elbow did, just wondering if most promotions allow spinnig backfists?, i know when i fight in kickboxing they are not allowed due to the risk of the elbow connecting. it was a complete accident tonight...but a great shot all the same!

In pro elbows are allowed so it would be fine, in amateur C class there not allowed so it would be illegal.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

If you land a spinning elbow you are worthy! I think the backfists were banned in kickboxing because people were getting clocked with the forearm and elbow more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Remember Shonie Carter's against Matt Serra?

I think Serra still gets surprized by it when watching a replay :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Anderson's one in Cage Rage beats them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qRQFJg9tA

3 mins in, more of an elbow uppercut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 xX Batman Xx

In UFC a down-words elbow is not aloud i think.

In UFC a down-words elbow is not aloud i think.

Yeah, I think its to the top of opponents head? (to the body is ok right?) There was a very recent fight I think the ref stopped it to warn a fighter to be careful doing that, can't remember what fight though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Devastator wrote: »
    Yeah, I think its to the top of opponents head? (to the body is ok right?) There was a very recent fight I think the ref stopped it to warn a fighter to be careful doing that, can't remember what fight though :confused:

A downwards elbow to anywhere is illegal. Downwards meaning the fist pointing towards the ceiling and the elbow going vertically down

The week before they drew up the Unified Rules there was an MMA show where one fighter got very hurt from elbows and some people on the commission wanted elbows banned completely. The no downwards elbows was the compromise

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    A downwards elbow to anywhere is illegal. Downwards meaning the fist pointing towards the ceiling and the elbow going vertically down

The week before they drew up the Unified Rules there was an MMA show where one fighter got very hurt from elbows and some people on the commission wanted elbows banned completely. The no downwards elbows was the compromise

Surely there have been fighters using a downwards elbow from side control and aiming for ribs/stomach ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Surely there have been fighters using a downwards elbow from side control and aiming for ribs/stomach ? :confused:

If their fist is pointing towards the ceiling and their elbow's coming directly down then it's illegal

You don't see as many fighters attempting it anymore, there used to be a lot more warnings given out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The wording iof the rule bans striking with the point of the elbow downwards.

You can still use the flat part of the elbow. And you can still strike with the point of the elbow upwards.

Advertisement