Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a Router pls....

• 28-11-2009 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Am on Smart 6mb wired profile atm but am foreseeing needing a wireless router before Santa starts to hohoho.My Bro is as tech savvy as it comes but is being a typical pissshead when i ask him after 9pm .....So i ask what can someone link me to that i can get delivered within 2 weeks or so which can deliver on a similar scale to smarts generic router ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As routers go, the Linksys WRT54G is quite highly recommended. Since you have DSL though, you're probably better off getting a combined DSL modem/router. Avoid Belkin, they tend to be crap. My last modem/router was made by Sweex, which are fairly generic, but it was fine. For Smart, make sure it's and ADSL2+ modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I changed to this router about 6 months ago and it's the best I've used so far = D-Link DIR-655, Extreme N Wireless. I've got a Desktop, Laptop and a PS3 WiFi networked. No problems and excellent security, I purchased it from Komplett.ie. It's currently priced at €79 euros, this time last year it was priced at €165. so it's now excellent value.

I changed to this router about 6 months ago and it's the best I've used so far = D-Link DIR-655, Extreme N Wireless. I've got a Desktop, Laptop and a PS3 WiFi networked. No problems and excellent security, I purchased it from Komplett.ie. It's currently priced at €79 euros, this time last year it was priced at €165. so it's now excellent value.

+1, The DIR-655 is a very good router. The wrt54g, as mentioned earlier, was decent in 2004 when the revisions available had adequate ram to handle the high number of tcp/ip connections that are required for todays usage. Later revisions have been very poor at handling connections because they halved the ram. They then released the wrt54gl which can be flashed with custom firmware like ddrt. This is the way to go if you want an excellant router on a budget and don't need wireless N or gigabit ethernet. You can get it at komplett also.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078
    The dsl modem will be set to passthrough mode when you connect your router so it wont affect performance at all and that way the telco will continue to support you if you have issues in future so i think you should go with a standalone router.
    If you want a router that is going to meet your needs for many years to come then go for thi:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=492607

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

d22ontour wrote: »
    Am on Smart 6mb wired profile atm but am foreseeing needing a wireless router before Santa starts to hohoho.My Bro is as tech savvy as it comes but is being a typical pissshead when i ask him after 9pm ....

Why not ask him before 9pm?

d22ontour wrote: »
    .So i ask what can someone link me to that i can get delivered within 2 weeks or so which can deliver on a similar scale to smarts generic router ?

I am currently with Smart and using the Netgear DGN 2000. It seems to be a relatively recent model - had N wireless - its pretty compact and has an on/off switch which can be handy. It also gets some good reviews on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk which can be a good resource for user reviews if you are thinking of a particular model/

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=7255

I bought mine in IT direct in town if you did not want to buy on line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I am not a piss head :(

I have the Dlink DSL 2640B for you, otherwise the DIR 655 is a decent choice. Avoid Belkin tho

• Advertisement
Advertisement