Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we love football

• 28-11-2009 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

What is it you love about football most?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

FYP
    What is it I love about football most?

Some millionaire and some pretend county council set up a club in you front garden:p:rolleyes:

Id go with the arthritis from playing or standing in the cold watching others play

If i actually thought about this properly id probably take up fishing instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

We all love the sport. thats what counts. No matter what the level you support it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I love the banter, its always a good talking point in the pub on a Saturday night or whatever, and it give ya that connection with a lot of people, its fantastic.

I also love that passion between fans, as said above, the banter between rival fans, when kept in a light hearted and fun attitude is brilliant.

As far as the game itself, its little things like a clever flick that works out, or seeing a man skin his marker and make an eejit out of him, strong tackles, last minute clearences off the line, long range efforts that fly into the top corner, seeing minnow teams upstage the bigger teams and get shock results, oh its a wonderful aul game.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The simplicity, all you need is something to kick and something to aim at and you've got a game going

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I don't love football, I love Shels.;) Why do I love Shels, the banter on away matches, the atmosphere (even if there is just 22 of us on a terrace on a Monday night in the lashings of rain), my mates, everything apart from the football we play actually.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Essien plays it and I <3 Essien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I need something that I can talk to my father about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I love it,just for the off chance I get to see sexy ladies in the crowd at games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

abusing the opposition

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Paul Merson and Stan Collymore are pundits, thats why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I love how it provides me an outlet to vicariously bask in the reflected glory of the achievements of a group of complete strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

I don't love football, I love Shels.;) Why do I love Shels, the banter on away matches, the atmosphere (even if there is just 22 of us on a terrace on a Monday night in the lashings of rain), my mates, everything apart from the football we play actually.

Shut up Gav will ye, just cause you can't kick a ball straight:p

Someone said the simplicity, spot on. There's not that many people I know who don't like playing football, you don't have to be a passionate fan of any team to be able to play football for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't know why I love football, I just do.

And that makes me love it even more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Used to love it a hell of a lot more. Sky tv,advertising and the loss of matchday atmosphere have a lot to do with that. Oh and football phone in shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

It's just a great game.
    From supporting a club since you were a kid, you grow attached to it and it means something to you.
    When you place a bet, it makes football even more interesting. The anxiety of penalties, holding out in the last mins. Not good for the blodd pressure but great craic all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I love it for a lot of reasons:
    -A match-day experience, I've only experienced proper match days in Old Trafford, pub for an hour before the game, walk about two minutes to the stadium with the lads, buy a scarf at one of the stalls on the way, spend about five minutes trying to find the way in, a pie and a beer, chanting/singing, the unbelievable rush when your team scores, pub for about five or six hours after the game.

-Slagging off your mates when Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea lose and your one of the only United fans in the group.

-Everyone supporting the one team when Ireland play.

-A small team knocking a big team out of a cup.

-Penalties

What a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

jumpers for goalposts

when the ball hits the crossbar and bounces back up into the roof of the net

sliding tackles in the rain

nutmegs

lobbing the keeper

dinking it over the keeper

last minute winners

etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

I love my Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I love football because we can play sh1t and still beat Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love football as it has given me some the best days of my life. dyas I will never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's the little things.

A perfect takedown from a goal kick, a simple header from a bouncing ball to maintain possession, a turn away from a player and pass to the full back, the little things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It doesn't have a menstrual cycle or a mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

Idu wrote: »
    jumpers for goalposts

when the ball hits the crossbar and bounces back up into the roof of the net

sliding tackles in the rain

nutmegs

lobbing the keeper

dinking it over the keeper

last minute winners

etc etc etc

best feelin ever when u mill someone with a tackle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

best feelin ever when u mill someone with a tackle!

A Danny Mills style tackle in the rain beats anything

Although I did see someone try a Jonny Evans once, the other guy ducked and he clattered a post...

Advertisement