Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xmas party dress help!!

• 28-11-2009 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Ok basically I need help finding a dress (or skirt and top, just an outfit really) for my work xmas party!! I walked around town for ages during the week and tried on loads of dresses! Found nothing!!

In the last year I've lost 4stone and I want the dress to be as flattering as possible and look my best. Thats why I am being so picky! I still have about 3stone to lose and because of this have some body parts that I don't particulary like!! This makes picking a dress even harder.

I am a size 16, I don't like showing the top of my arms, also not a major fan of my legs :rolleyes: so I always wear black tights with my dresses (have never ever went barelegged).

I find dresses that have minimal material and don't add excess volume are best, I like simple dresses, dark colour, also dresses that nip in at the waist are good on me.

Thinking of spending about €125 max!

Thank you so much!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Hiya, I know you said dark colours but
    55016900_F_m1.jpg
    this would be a fab, unusual party dress and would look great with silvery heels and black tights. This is nice too, has a slightly longer length and sleeve details but I prefer the one above for a party.55010536_F_m1.jpg
    Had a look at a few websites but a lot of the party dresses are really short and/or add bulk to the hips and thighs! So unflattering! These are both Monsoon. Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I wouldnt mind wearing a lighter colour, I would prefer darker and a block of colour but as long as it aint neon it should be ok.

Oooo I do like that first one! Never worn something like that before! Thanks for your help!

Also anybody any ideas of what would be nice over a dress if it had no sleeves to cover my arms. Looked around and didn't find much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Dorothy Perkins do a nice range, and pretty reasonable! You can get dress accessories and shoe for well under that! And their material is really flattering!

I'm the same, size 16, tights, arm conscious... Invest in a pair of spanx or a good body suit, M&S do FANTASTIC ones that i SWEAR by!!! And wear it when tryin on dresses, you'll feel a lot better about the outfit if your hair and make up are nice when trying on things -- that way you'll have a better idea what it will be like on the night when your really dressed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hi Jwacqui!

I'm in pretty much the same position as yourself as you know! I've tried on a couple of dresses and my favourite so far is this Dorothy Perkins one (it also comes in black):

07500711_thumb.jpg

It's really flattering on, and not too short. The belt also creates a waist as I don't have much of one! I'm gonna try on a few more before deciding but this is definitely the frontrunner.

PS It's a lot cheaper to buy DP & Monsoon stuff stuff online, even with Post & Packaging! Plus you can always try on the stuff in the shop first. Have fun deciding :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 claire_m

Xmas party next week and need to get an outfit

thinking of leather skirt but........... is this classy or slutty ? .. definetly will be over the knee length with pair of boots and black top

Advertisement