Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservation of Castles?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what is the situation in Ireland about the conservation of castles? There is a castle near me, I won't say where, that is slowly going to pieces due to weather, vegetation and animals.

I am unsure as wheter any archaeological investigation has been done on it, but I'm sure you'll agree that it is important to preserve our history?

Has anyone else encountered such situations where important pieces of history are just left to degrade? Is there anything that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Vonluck, unfortunatly that is the situation with many remaining archaeological sites and heritage sites around the country.

It depends on whether it's owned by the State (through OPW) or in private hands, both can be beneficial and detrimental.

If it's more of a Norman tower, rather than a Victorian or baronial castle then there is less of a chance of it becoming restored (like Bunratty, Oranmore, Rockfleet) but at the same time it shouldn't be left to crumble (Terryland Castle in Galway, is a complete ruin but there are metal scaffolds in place to keep it stable).

Chance are an archaeological investiagtion has been carried out. But many of these aren't partiularly important from a historical point of view or of any architectural benefit to the state. As long as they have a few of everything they're happy to leave some other go. Can't save them all !

Other examples exist everywhere, my Galway examples;

Menlo Castle
    Woodlawn House
    Renville House
    Ardfry Castle
    Tyrone House
    Castle Taylor
    Clonbrock House

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

For a privatley owned castle what problems/issues are there if you want restore it using modern practices (modern floor beams, roof beams, slates and electrifying) or using contempory practices (oak beems etc.)? Also obviously age is a factor so how would these issues be overcome on a pre 15th castle and a post 15th? Alot of questions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well the castle in question is a Norman castle, small enough but has a courtyard and round tower. I believe it to be privately owned also.

This could be a problem in its degredation as they are farmers and allow cattle and sheep to roam around it. Cattle are especially a problem as they enjoy scratching themselves against the stone walls.

Are there any sources where I can find out if there was an archaeological investigation carried out, and what they discovered? I'd be interested in knowing the history of my locale...

What county are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Well restoration is usually strictly controlled BUT, I think there are plenty of examples out there of pretty horrific revamps and rebuilds in historic buildings. There is a tower house just outside Galway City, which was bought by an American woman who had the entire exterior plastered! Doesn't look awfully bad but there was a big fuss at the time. Similarly places like Carton House in Kildare have had monsterous additions stuck on which really take away from the house itself.

I think if you can show you are trying to save as much heritage as possible without wanting to live in an oak beamed, tapestry-covered tower house then it's up to you on the interior. Especially if there is no interior left!

If it's in private hands then you cna't force them to restore it, but the OPW might be obliges to structurally stabilise it....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Kilcash Castle recently (10 years?) was given to the OPW by the Butler family and since then has undergone 3 years of work to make the building stable again.

I'll probably never be open to the public again but I was impressed that in under 10 years work had begun to render the structure safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

All of these castles, towers, etc., are registered monuments, you should be able to get a reference from your local Teagasc Office, to refer to the OPW.
    Also each Local Authority should have a Concervation Officer, you can contact to get a lot more information from, regarding history and stableising or restoration guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

I would think, technically, that any restoration would prioritise conserving the original structure and building around them ensuring that they are preserved in situ. Like in the UK. If this is the case it can mean the long way around, more money and hassle, ie. using certain stone which are is keeping with the building rather than the cheapest. However, the mind boggles when you see some of the structures added on to historic buildings in the posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

My website might interest you:-

www.AbandonedIreland.com

I'm trying to get round all the big house ruins.

You can use the email address on my website if you would like to see any specific structure documented.

Your website does interest me, but i was wondering how you got access to Woodstock in Kilkenny? Beause as far as i know it isnt in state care but privatly owned so who did you ask to see inside it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Your website does interest me, but i was wondering how you got access to Woodstock in Kilkenny? Beause as far as i know it isnt in state care but privatly owned so who did you ask to see inside it?

You don't always have to ask. Necessity is the mother of invention! :D

Maybe but I would have bring my boltcutters if i went down that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

AI wrote: »
    My website might interest you:-

www.AbandonedIreland.com

I'm trying to get round all the big house ruins.

You can use the email address on my website if you would like to see any specific structure documented.

I love that website. Pics are brilliant. How do you do the 360 ones? Loads of abandoned building around louth/meath

Well restoration is usually strictly controlled BUT, I think there are plenty of examples out there of pretty horrific revamps and rebuilds in historic buildings. There is a tower house just outside Galway City, which was bought by an American woman who had the entire exterior plastered! Doesn't look awfully bad but there was a big fuss at the time.
    I don't think it is plaster - it is a lime render AFAIK and is similar to what is on many houses and castles in Scotland and many other places (including Ireland)

Most old stone buildings were meant to be rendered in Lime plaster anyhow and then white washed.

Advertisement