Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you cut or colour your own hair?

• 28-11-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

I noticed the hair thread dedicated to bad hairdresser experiences so I won't rant (too much ;) here.
    I never really like my hair after I come out of a salon. My hair is gone from waist lenght to a bob in the past year. I managed to loose half my hair to highlights, and after visiting a second hairdresser the cut is still nothing like I wanted. I think I lack that skill of telepathically placing what I want into the hairdressers head :D I used to henna my own hair so thats what I've gone back too. Given up on blonde. Now I'm thinking of cutting my own hair :eek:
    I know exactly what I want ... so no need for telepathy ... plus I have a helping hand ... hennaing today, possibly gonna brave the cut next week.
    Can't face trying a hairdressers again .. I'll be bald by Christmas!

Any horror or good stories about home dying or cutting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

often colour my own hair and have never had a problem, but would not dream of cutting it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

There is no way I would cut my hair.

Maybe you unrealistic expections. Do you bring in pictures and ASK if it is possible to get you hair like that? Certain hair cuts will only suit a certain type of hair. For example I loved the Posh Spice bob but couldn't get it as I knew it wouldn't suit my thick, wavey hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I colour my hair myself, and sometimes trim my fringe but I wouldn't do any other scissor-work on myself!

Be very very careful applying henna dye if your hair has recently been chemically dyed...and vice versa, if the henna doesn't work out DO NOT put a chemical dye over it for several weeks as the two can react with very bad results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've coloured my hair loads and loads of times. I wouldn't call any of what happened disasters, although some people might! :o

A few years ago, I had jet black hair and bleached it peroxide blonde, twice in one day. It started white at the roots and gradually got darker towards the ends. :eek: I just threw a bottle of red hair dye over and it was fine!!!

If you stick to doing pretty basic things and not drastically trying to change your hair colour in one go, everything should be ok. :)

I often trim my fringe myself and have cut my hair a few times but I have loads of layers and one side of my hair is long and the other side short so mistakes aren't noticable! If you have a blunt, straight hairstyle, cutting it yourself might not be a great idea unless you are relatively confident that you know what you're doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

I dye and cut my own hair. I have fairly light hair naturally and have been bleaching it for about a year. I just bleach the roots ever 6-8 weeks with a Wella highlighting kit, its in a really old fashioned looking blue box. My hair is still in really good condition and even though I bleach it, it doesnt look bleached it just looks realy blonde, if ya get me? :confused:

My hair doesnt really have a style so its easy to cut myself. My hair is all the same lenght except a few long layers and is down to my lower back. I just hold it all straight above my head and cut into it instead of cutting a straight line.

If any hairdresser is ready this I'm sure they would cringe at what im doing to my hair but I cant afford to get it done and I've never loved anything a hairdresser has done for me so find it way better to do myself :D
    I think that if I had hair that was anyway complicated though I would definitely go to a hairdresser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

going to the hairdressers is my favourite treat. Its the only time I get to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I always colour my hair myself. Wouldn't attempt to cut it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Henna was a complete success (bought pure henna and mixed it with lemon juice and wine myself) - it even took over hightlights (but they were put in a good few months ago)

Gonna brave cutting it next week :D ... I think this is gonna be fun

looking online its kinda of like a marmite thing, either 'Oh no!!! how could you possible concieve not going to a hairdresser! :eek:' or 'yeah I do it all the time, its all good :)'

I should have put a poll on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I dye my hair myself all the time and trim it in between trips to the hairdresser. I've curly hair so you cant see if it's a little uneven, I dont think I'd do it if I had straight hair though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I have long curly hair and cut and coloured it myself for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It turned out perfectly and I'll probably keep doing it for the forseeable future! I used a technique a hairdresser showed me for the length/ fringe, then used a thinning scissors to remove some of the weight. I wouldn't attempt this if I wore my hair straight however, not much room for error!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I have long, straight hair and I cut it myself. Bought a pair of scissors in boots about a year ago and since then have cut it myself.

2 things you need. Patience and good sharp scissors.

If I make a balls of it I can ask someone else to trim it, or go to a hairdresser.

So, far no disasters. I usually cut it every 2 or 3 weeks and everyone is always saying how healthy it looks. Am not going to pay €50 for a trim. No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Been colouring my hair a long time, love a nice change every now and then - been many shades, incl green highlights (was temp and completely coincidentally around Halloween) :eek:

As for cutting, I do that too ;) That is, up until recently... I usually have short hair and so frankly its been fairly easy to do (well I wont say easy, the back is obviously a little more tricky). But, Ive let it grow for over a year now and I want it properly done - as its such a big style change I dont want to risk it myself.

Tbh, if you feel confident enough to give it a go, then by all means try - altho take it easy (And not that I want to scare you, but I hope you look good in a hat!). I dont mind going to a salon too much, its just it takes like 3+ hours to get a cut and colour done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I hate going to the hairdressers-I get bored, fidgety, it vosts a fortune and im never happy with the result, always have to go home and style it myself.

However, is an unfortunate neccesity, because I would never cut it myself. I occasionally attempt a fringe fix-up but anything further than that is a no-no for me.

Colour my hair myself all the time though-been every colour under the sun and no major disasters except the blonde attempt (Ive close to black hair!) but that was fairly epected and I had a red dye to go over it for backup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

bought hair scissors today :eek: he he ... no going back.
    I really hope this works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

I would never cut my own hair, not even the bangs. I've seen other people's disasters, and haircuts just aren't expensive enough to risk it.

But I always do my own coloring, using the semi-permanent formulas from the grocery/drug stores. I stay within a very short range of colors, though, very close to my natural shade, and primarily use it to cover the grey. It ends up looking pretty natural, because the greys end up just a bit lighter than the rest of the hair (I'm about a third grey), so it almost looks like natural highlights from the sun.

I'd go professional to go blonde (if I ever had the money), but then I think I'd feel comfortable doing the roots in between salon blonding.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I see this post was ages ago, so you might have opened up a salon by now, just wondering how you got on cutting your own hair as I'm thinking of giving it a go, after I colour mine today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

There are loads of how-to videos on youtube. Watch a few to get tips and techniques. At least you'll see what to do, or what not to do, to get the hair you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I colour my own hair, its dark anyway so as long as im realistic about it and dont try anything too drastic it always turns out ok....cutting it however I couldnt even attempt, although its short so requires a bit of talent. I do agree though that i hate going to hairdressers and i am realistic and very clear about what i want and ask for, no matter how many times I ask for a specific thing they almost always cut it too short.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread - Please do not open up old threads, just start a new one.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement