Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

• 28-11-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Which are you more passionate about and why?

Im a Utd fan of nearly 20 years. I grew up watching the double winning team of 94 and 96 and was always more into club football than International. But over the last few years my interest has kind of waned in it, and I seem to be more passionate about following Ireland. I think alot of it is that most of the players that were around when I was a kid are now retired. The game seemed more blood and guts back then and was full of great characters, players who gave everything for the club etc.
    Now it seems to be just a massive commercial excercise, packed with preening primadonnas who are only loyal to the biggest paycheck.

Thats why the International game is more appealing to me. Players are actually doing it for the pride.
    Maybe another thing is that supporting United makes ya used to success, whereas as with the national team, every draw or win is a scrap and makes it all the more worthwhile.

What say yous?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There was a thread like this a few months back with a poll and all,
    but it'd be country over club for me just about.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519252

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

club

couldnt care less about international football mainly coz i think its rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Think there's been a few threads about this.

Club winning domestic cup > Ireland winning World Cup. No contest.

Opposite to OP. My interest in Ireland has steadily waned since I was younger although I still go to matches and like the team to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

This question was answered for me, When robbie keane scored against france i was like, Alright we scored. When i went to the spurs match and cesc got the second. The Euphoria was amazing within me.

Club everytime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Country, I'm Irish and really proud to be. Nothing beats a World Cup/Euros summer when your country is in it. Amazing. Only thing that comes close for me is Chelsea winning the CL or EPL and even then I'd still prefer watch Ireland in a WC even though they might only have 3 group games then be going home.

Think this thread was done not too long ago with a poll, could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres a small problem of saturation of exposure :

Club football is so regular and every game is available to watch (online or on TV)....like it or not Club games are thrown at us - so they have become mundane.

International games are a couple of times a year - and sometimes our country has problems even to secure the rights for coverage of away internationals :D

However - the standard of International games has dropped - there is very little excitement amongst the routine group games - until the final couple of games and bandwagon supporters come out to play....lets face it we arent a country that can kill off an opposition - we play a team of part timers like the faroes and win 2-0 but yet can beat france 1-0 when needed.

This has been done recently enough.

Club without question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Neither, I couldn't give a rats arse if Milan or Ireland never won a game again so long as I got to see some good football, I really don't understand all this bull**** tribalism that people get caught up in.

I like seeing Ireland, Athlone, Milan and Swansea doing well but if they lost every game they played I wouldn't be fazed so long as they tried to play ball.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Neither, I couldn't give a rats arse if Milan or Ireland never won a game again so long as I got to see some good football, I really don't understand all this bull**** tribalism that people get caught up in.

I like seeing Ireland, Athlone, Milan and Swansea doing well but if they lost every game they played I wouldn't be fazed so long as they tried to play ball.

You don't mind if your team doesn't win? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Country. A club has a chance of winning at least two trophy's every year, and the country is completely split on who they want to win. Ireland only have a chance of getting to a major tournament, with a very slim chance of a trophy, every two years. For the last few Qualifying games and the few weeks in the summer if we get there the whole country is united by the power of International Football, big green hats and drink. It's savage craic when Ireland do well.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You don't mind if your team doesn't win? :eek:

Couldn't give a monkeys, I'm a fan of the sport, as long as the game is good, what does it matter?

Couldn't give a monkeys, I'm a fan of the sport, as long as the game is good, what does it matter?

Fair enough. You wouldn't be classed as a supporter then?

Why not?
    I already said I like seeing the teams I like win, but if they lose who cares, how does it affect my life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Seaneh, you say you're a fan of good football, the why are you an AC Milan fan, they play in one of the least entertaining leagues in Europe, footballing wise.

Seaneh, you say you're a fan of good football, the why are you an AC Milan fan, they play in one of the least entertaining leagues in Europe, footballing wise.

Technique > Physique when it comes to watching a game for me every time.

Italian football = Technique based.
    British Football = Physique Based.

Italian teams keep the ball on the ground, retain possession and play football.

99% of Premiership games = one team playing football while the other team lumps the ball around the pitch playing like headless chickens, I can't watch that ****e.

Any Italian league game is far better to watch than Bolton Vs. stoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When houghton scored against the english in 88 is the biggest footballing/sporting high ive had.

Id rather take the dog for a walk than watch the irish rugby team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Football is a tribal game. Why do you think there are rivalries between clubs? The game would be dull if there were no rivalries, no banter between rival fans. The same goes for most other sports. I've never heard of a football fan (or any other sports fan) who didn't care whether his/her team won or lost. If you're not a fan of a particular team then it is understandable that you don't care about results.

Club for me, without a shadow of a doubt.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Football is a tribal game. Why do you think there are rivalries between clubs? The game would be dull if there were no rivalries, no banter between rival fans. The same goes for most other sports. I've never heard of a football fan (or any other sports fan) who didn't care whether his/her team won or lost. If you're not a fan of a particular team then it is understandable that you don't care about results.

so you'd be happy if your team played terrible football so long as they won (Think Greece in 2004, Rangers in the UEFA cup a few years back, Liverpool in the CL 2005)?

If Milan EVER played negative, destructive football like that for a prolonged period of time I'd lose all interest in them, no matter how many titles they won.

I'd rather watch Milan, Arsenal, Barca, Seville, Roma etc play football and lose than watch horrible football and win every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

United always come before England for me

• Advertisement

so you'd be happy if your team played terrible football so long as they won (Think Greece in 2004, Rangers in the UEFA cup a few years back, Liverpool in the CL 2005)?

If Milan EVER played negative, destructive football like that for a prolonged period of time I'd lose all interest in them, no matter how many titles they won.

I'd rather watch Milan, Arsenal, Barca, Seville, Roma etc play football and lose than watch horrible football and win every game.
    I like to watch good football, and I like my team to play good football. Sometimes games can be scrappy and you need to grind out a result. Ideally I'd have both good football and good results, they're both important. If you're a fan of a club, you want the club to do well, whether it's winning leagues, promotion, cups, European qualification, so results are important. I wonder how many Greece fans don't care about winning Euro 2004 because they didn't play like Brazil. Are there any fans who would be happy losing every game for a season if they played attractive football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Said it all before but I believe anyone who picks Club over country is wrong. :)

World Cup imo is the greatest football tournament. I love Liverpool with a passion but your country is your country.

My belief that people who pick club over country and think "international football is rubbish" are those supporters who support the best teams and are used to the glamour of winning premierships and champions league football.

Those who have issues with the FAI then fair enough but I just think the whole sunny day element influences people greatly here.

Even when Ireland were struggling to beat the Farore Islands I still supported them even when others couldnt of been arsed.

joe123 wrote: »
    Said it all before but I believe anyone who picks Club over country is wrong. :)

World Cup imo is the greatest football tournament. I love Liverpool with a passion but your country is your country.

My belief that people who pick club over country and think "international football is rubbish" are those supporters who support the best teams and are used to the glamour of winning premierships and champions league football.

Those who have issues with the FAI then fair enough but I just think the whole sunny day element influences people greatly here.

Even when Ireland were struggling to beat the Farore Islands I still supported them even when others couldnt of been arsed.
    What about people who support their local team who prefer club over country?

As I said I believe the world cup is the pinnacle of the sport. International football should be an honour etc etc. Its just the way I feel. If you play well enough for your club you might be called up to the International squad.

Another level sort of thing. All imo of course.

What about them? They are supporters like everyone else. Just because your club is local doesn't mean it changes. Well it means you live closer to your club and it is easier to get to games but that is it.

CHD wrote: »
    What about them? They are supporters like everyone else. Just because your club is local doesn't mean it changes. Well it means you live closer to your club and it is easier to get to games but that is it.

It means its tougher to get to international games because theyre further away so they dont bother...;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Country everytime, even though I'm a crazy Leeds fan they don't even come close to Ireland.

As I said I believe the world cup is the pinnacle of the sport. International football should be an honour etc etc. Its just the way I feel. If you play well enough for your club you might be called up to the International squad.

Another level sort of thing. All imo of course.

I think club football is more involving. There are more highs and lows. There are strong rivalries compared to the Irish national team. You get to know people from it. Players are approachable. I don't have to travel to D*bl*n to watch a game. Just as I'd prefer Cork GAA to the International Rules team, City mean more to me than Ireland.

I think you missed the point. It was more aimed at this (it should be obvious enough that people who support their local team are less likely to experience "winning premierships and champions league football") ;

It means its tougher to get to international games because theyre further away so they dont bother...;)
    The majority of the national teams support is from Dublin. It's easier for them. There wasn't enough demand in Cork for a single charter flight to Paris for the France game. Sure it's no bother travelling to away games at the opposite end of the country or in Europe. Traveling to national teams away games just involves flying to another capital, it's a bit different to European club games.

• Advertisement

The majority of supporters are from Dublin because the majority of the population lives in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

The majority of supporters are from Dublin because the majority of the population lives in Dublin.
    1 out of 4 million is not a majority!

Mmcd wrote: »
    1 out of 4 million is not a majority!
    You know what i mean, im tired.

:rolleyes:

There's around 25-35% of the population from Dublin? What about the other 65-75%? People from the rest of the country can't be arsed supporting the national team, couldn't even get a plane load of people from Cork for the playoff in Paris. Few people care enough to travel to Dublin for home games.

:rolleyes:

There's around 25-35% of the population from Dublin? What about the other 65-75%? People from the rest of the country can't be arsed supporting the national team, couldn't even get a plane load of people from Cork for the playoff in Paris. Few people care enough to travel to Dublin for home games.
    You speak on behalf of 70% of the country do you? Show me proof tat they don't care. The way your going on its like only Dubs support Ireland. Wouldn't use Cork as an example tbh.

You speak on behalf of 70% of the country do you? Show me proof tat they don't care. The way your going on its like only Dubs support Ireland. Wouldn't use Cork as an example tbh.

I speak for 70% of the country as much as you speak for "the majority of the population" who live in Dublin :D. I gave you anecdotal evidence that people aren't bothered - few people travel to home games, not enough demand for a single charter from the second biggest population centre. Can you prove otherwise? I would use Cork as an example, it being the second biggest population centre. Should I have used a location closer to Dublin?

• Advertisement

I speak for 70% of the country as much as you speak for "the majority of the population" who live in Dublin :D. I gave you anecdotal evidence that people aren't bothered - few people travel to home games, not enough demand for a single charter from the second biggest population centre. Can you prove otherwise? I would use Cork as an example, it being the second biggest population centre. Should I have used a location closer to Dublin?
    Use Wicklow, Kildare or Meath :)

I disagree that 70% of the country aren't arsed. Of course the west/south of Ireland won't have many people travel up for late kickoff games in Dublin. Doesn't mean they are not ''arsed'' about the team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Club. You see them every week, you put your heart and soul into every triumph and loss. You get to know the players. They become part of your life and part of your weekly routine.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As I said in the other thread on this, Shels to win a match against Bluebell United over Ireland to win a World Cup anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Absolutely no contest for me, Club all the way, have zero interest in the international team.

I have a strong attachment and bond to Arsenal (and London)that I just don't have or have ever had to the national team. Prime example was the recent France game, and although he doesn't play for us anymore, my concern was with the stick Thierry was getting and nothing else.

Also I'm really starting to really dislike international football and the negative impact it can have on my club, RVP out for five months :(:(:(

I would take an Arsenal corner kick over a world cup win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Club. You see them every week, you put your heart and soul into every triumph and loss. You get to know the players. They become part of your life and part of your weekly routine.

Exactly how I feel...

I also feel you'll support your country as a matter of form, to do otherwise would be poor form to many people.

But when you support your club, you take much more of an effort. You follow them, you watch them, you live for the wins and the triumphs, you despair at the losses... It's all encompassing. Well, for me it is anyway. I've been known to skip weddings, family occassions, friends' birthdays etc. because I was going to/watching a Chelsea game.

All my friends know, never try to contact me if Chelsea are playing, cos I'm either at the game or watching it and am not to be disturbed:D

I was not impressed when Ireland were knocked out by the Hand Of Henry. I was pissed off. But this was nothing compared to Chelsea's exit in the semi-final of the Champions League last season. I pure flipped out.

I take club over country every single time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I can't undertstnd how anyone would find zero interest in international football. To all the people who feel that international football interferes with their clubs performance - Would you be happy to see the entire international football scrapped tomorrow? Would you rather go next summer without any football at all? I have to say for me, summers without a major international tournament (World Cup, Euro Championship,Copa America) feel empty.

When France beat Ireland last Wednesday, it was the single most disappointing footballing moment of my life - so for me, its country over club any day.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I can't undertstnd how anyone would find zero interest in international football. To all the people who feel that international football interferes with their clubs performance - Would you be happy to see the entire international football scrapped tomorrow? Would you rather go next summer without any football at all? I have to say for me, summers without a major international tournament (World Cup, Euro Championship,Copa America) feel empty.

When France beat Ireland last Wednesday, it was the single most disappointing footballing moment of my life - so for me, its country over club any day.

In an ideal world, yes but thats just the way I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I don't understand how people can prefer some foreign team they have no connection with full of players just doing their job, some just for the money, to their own country playing for the pride of the nation.

I don't understand how people can prefer some foreign team they have no connection with full of players just doing their job, some just for the money, to their own country playing for the pride of the nation.

What do you define as "connection" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would you be happy to see the entire international football scrapped tomorrow?

Maybe there will be a time when it may be be downgraded. Perhaps to an Olympic competition. The big clubs will get more and more pissed off if players start coming back injured or late. I'm sure more players feel the same way as Stephen Ireland too.

I read recently that Bobby Charlton once had to miss an important European Cup game because the FA ordered him to play a friendly. :D

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe there will be a time when it may be be downgraded. Perhaps to an Olympic competition. The big clubs will get more and more pissed off if players start coming back injured or late. I'm sure more players feel the same way as Stephen Ireland too.
    I read recently that Bobby Charlton once had to miss an important European Cup game because the FA ordered him to play a friendly. :D

That point was made on the recent Stephen Ireland doc. on RTE that you will find more and more footballers go down this route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed, I remember watching Italia 90 (when i was 8) and being over the moon, USA 94 amazing. Various play off let downs = heartbreaking. Getting beaten by Spain in 2002 was hard to watch, was in work at the time. No getting to SA 2010 i'm still depressed about it!!

Country over club any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Club, without doubt. You watch them week in, week out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Genuinely couldn't pick between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just can't and don't choose. I take it all as it comes!!!

For example, the Ireland match the other week against France. I can't express my disappointment at how we were knocked out. I was in the depths of footballing depression. When RTE came back from the ad break, they put up a graphic of the matches they would be showing the highlights of, on Premier Soccer Saturday in three days time, one of which was Liverpool Vs Man City.

In that moment, i couldn't have given a f*ck about those matches. In that moment, i couldn't have cared less if i'd never had seen another match again.

Put you pick yourself up and go back to the club football (jaysus, i sound like a player here), and when your club is on a good run and vying for success, international football becomes a disinterest during those times.

I just compartmentalise (is that the correct word??) my different interests within the game. I have a great love for football and my main passion within that love is for St Patrick's Athletic, Liverpool and the Republic of Ireland.

They have all given me highs and lows. With Liverpool, it's Istanbul. With St Pat's, it's either Fabio's goal to defeat Krylia Sovietov or the win over Elfsborg and with Ireland, it's Robbie Keane's equaliser against Germany in the 2002 World Cup. In O' Brien's on Dame St with all my mates, all on the same side, just going mental.

I couldn't choose and don't want or need to. I love football and all it's given me, in whatever format that may be!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement