Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What do you define as "connection" ?

For the majority of Irish people this,

''I grew up watching the double winning team of 94 and 96''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Foxx92 wrote: »
    For the majority of Irish people this,

''I grew up watching the double winning team of 94 and 96''

nobody, anywhere, is actually connected to any football team initially. ever. the connection is something you build yourself through your own experiences, emotions and expectations.

if i tell a loi supporter (not a loi bash, im a fan) that im a drogs fan, thats fine. if i tell them im a villa fan instead (which i also am), then its "ah yeah, support a foreign team". but the fact of the matter is that when i was born i supported neither. nobody supported a football team til they actually saw them and over time found themselves building a love towards them for whatever reason, be it on telly or in the flesh

this "ah sure you only ever watch them on telly" stuff is nonsense. yeah maybe the only chance they get to see them is on the tv, but that doesnt make their will for the team to win any less relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

I'm an avid Ireland fan, although I do watch a lot of football from all the major European leagues.

Most of My friends would passionately support English football teams.
    TBH sometimes their levels of support are borderline embarrassing. Especially when they start chanting (in English accents) various club songs in the local pub. You know the songs , “UNOI—TID , UNOI-TID” and things like this. Also there is nothing more cringe worthy than a grown man wearing a top with the name of another man on his back! Its truly pathetic when you think of it. A fat beer bellied guy in his twenties , wearing a jersey with Cristiano Ronaldo’s name on it never fails to make me laugh.

I’m not surprised a lot of “football” fans in this country prefer foreign club football to their own national team. Lets face it, most people here support Liverpool and Manchester United. Most Liverpool fans cropped up in the eighties, most united fans in the nineties. Most Irish “club football” fans are just shameless glory hunters. Of course they’ll feed you some rubbish about their family history supporting a particular team ( Its always the same and its always lies).They even convince themselves that they are one of the few United fans etc that are unique, that are not just glory hunters (after all they’ve been to the matches lol). Yes they are unique, just like all the other “fans”. Fact is, they don’t watch Ireland because they are not successful. Pure and simple. As soon as Ireland qualifies for a world cup, they jump back on the bandwagon in typical glory hunting fashion.

In recent years there has been an increasing amount of Arsenal and Chelsea fans in Ireland….VERY few supporters of teams outside the top half of the premier league….. Funny that…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The recent playoff with France underlined how much more important the fortune's of the Irish team are for me.

Helix wrote: »
    nobody, anywhere, is actually connected to any football team initially. ever. the connection is something you build yourself through your own experiences, emotions and expectations.

But that's the thing, I have more of a connection to Galway United then I have to any other team(nearest team to me, go to games etc.).

I'll give you an example, in a history class last week my teacher asked the class( of about 30) who supported either Liverpool or Man United as we were doing a bit on the industrial revolution in N.England. Only four didn't raise their hands. Next he asked who had been to either of these cities, not one person raised their hand. I just can't get how 26 people, a large amount of whom are avid supporters, have never been to the city where thier beloved team is based. I can't get how they can't even name a street there.

I wouldn't class 'I support them because they won X in a certain year' as a reason to support a team, that, however seems to be the case amungst the majority.

I'm not having a go at you for supporting an English team, you could have family or some other valid connection to the team. It just frustrates me to think that if Man United came to Terryland next week there would be 1,000 Galway United fans and 5,000 Man United fans from Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Country by a mile!!! You feel so apart of it when they do well. You never picked your country like you did with your clubs.
    Big clubs are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
    International football will always be more equal and fair. You cant buy trophys.
    You cant beat World Cup fever!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

1. The team I manage.

2. The club I support. That's Shels

3. Foreign Club football on TV.

International football isn't on that list because I think it's shít. I'll watch the WC from the quarter finals onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The support for clubs is somewhat non-sensical.

When the vast majority of the players who play for the club dont even support it and leave it for money and a whole host of other reasons, why do you?

Rondolfus wrote: »
    I'm an avid Ireland fan, although I do watch a lot of football from all the major European leagues.

TBH sometimes their levels of support are borderline embarrassing. Especially when they start chanting (in English accents) various club songs in the local pub. You know the songs , “UNOI—TID , UNOI-TID” and things like this. Also there is nothing more cringe worthy than a grown man wearing a top with the name of another man on his back! Its truly pathetic when you think of it. A fat beer bellied guy in his twenties , wearing a jersey with Cristiano Ronaldo’s name on it never fails to make me laugh.

I’m not surprised a lot of “football” fans in this country prefer foreign club football to their own national team. Lets face it, most people here support Liverpool and Manchester United. Most Liverpool fans cropped up in the eighties, most united fans in the nineties. Most Irish “club football” fans are just shameless glory hunters. Of course they’ll feed you some rubbish about their family history supporting a particular team ( Its always the same and its always lies).They even convince themselves that they are one of the few United fans etc that are unique, that are not just glory hunters (after all they’ve been to the matches lol). Yes they are unique, just like all the other “fans”. Fact is, they don’t watch Ireland because they are not successful. Pure and simple. As soon as Ireland qualifies for a world cup, they jump back on the bandwagon in typical glory hunting fashion.

In recent years there has been an increasing amount of Arsenal and Chelsea fans in Ireland….VERY few supporters of teams outside the top half of the premier league….. Funny that…

-1 to that post !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How do you know?? This is nonsense. You're the liar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ive been told (as have most Utd fans who arent from Manchester) that Im a glory hunter. Maybe I am! I got interested in football in primary school. The time came when ya had to declare your allegiance to a team and as Utd had just won the premiership and were playing a exciting brand of football, a 10 year old me chose them. Im not ashamed of that.

I know now myself that if Utd were to slid down the table and maybe into lower divisions in the future, it wouldnt stop me following them now. When youve invested so much emotion into something, its pretty impossible to switch that over to something else. Maybe it would even increase my interest in the team.

I still think the club comes second to your country though. Football fans who just say "International football is ****, i dont watch it" or "I couldnt give a toss about the national team" dont make sense to me. Football is about communities against communites. What better than seeing a team of your own countrymen (including one or two brits! ;) ) piting their wits against other nations teams?
    Just because all the glamour and money is in the club game doesnt make it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I really can't see how people that are born and raised in Ireland can pick a foreign team, that they don't have an underlying connection with and that is mostly full with players who don't give a rats-arse who they play for as long as they get paid, over their own country. I support United, I have no connection with them, the love I have for the Irish national team is so much greater than mine of United. I can understand how people who support their local LoI clubs have more of a connection with the club rather than Ireland. The majority of the players know how much it means to the fans, there's a much higher chance of a local lad joining the club at an under-age level and become a club legend in the LoI than there is in the major leagues. LoI players are much more down to earth and approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

baz2009 wrote: »
    I really can't see how people that are born and raised in Ireland can pick a foreign team, that they don't have an underlying connection with.

Well personally speaking I have always had a very strong bond to London, yes I didn't start supporting Arsenal until I was 13, but I'm certainly not an armchair fan. Highbury was a huge part of my life and The Emirates certainly will be also.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Well personally speaking I have always had a very strong bond to London, yes I didn't start supporting Arsenal until I was 13, but I'm certainly not an armchair fan. Highbury was a huge part of my life and The Emirates certainly will be also.

How often would you see Arsenal in a season?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I really can't see how people that are born and raised in Ireland can pick a foreign team, that they don't have an underlying connection with and that is mostly full with players who don't give a rats-arse who they play for as long as they get paid, over their own country. I support United, I have no connection with them, the love I have for the Irish national team is so much greater than mine of United. I can understand how people who support their local LoI clubs have more of a connection with the club rather than Ireland. The majority of the players know how much it means to the fans, there's a much higher chance of a local lad joining the club at an under-age level and become a club legend in the LoI than there is in the major leagues. LoI players are much more down to earth and approachable.

:confused::confused::confused:

Double standarding?

• Advertisement

:confused::confused::confused:

Double standarding?

Finish reading the sentence and you will see that it ends with: "over their own country."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Country each and every time.

monkey9 wrote: »
    How do you know?? This is nonsense. You're the liar

Yes of course, just so happens that the vast majority of Irish "Families" chose to pledge their allegiance to the two most successful clubs in English football i.e United and Liverpool. What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Fact is, Irish supporters of these clubs were drawn to them because they were/are successful. None of my friends will openly admit that, but anyone with half a brain knows its true. They are glory hunters, which is why they have little patience for international football.

Supporting Ireland doesn't appeal to the "glory hunter" for obvious reasons.

However the thing that really makes me laugh about the Irish supporters of the big four english clubs, is their hypocrital attitude. For example, when the Glaziers took over United I distinctly remember my friends getting into a heated debate over "foreigners" taking over "their club" LOL. Also they, for some reason, don't feel that supporters from places like Thailand or USA are "true" supporters. In reality, a supporter from Thailand is in the same bracket as a supporter from Ireland i.e they are just "fans" from a foreign country looking to be part of something successful. They would do well to remember that.

Yes of course, just so happens that the vast majority of Irish "Families" chose to pledge their allegiance to the two most successful clubs in English football i.e United and Liverpool. What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Fact is, Irish supporters of these clubs were drawn to them because they were/are successful. None of my friends will openly admit that, but anyone with half a brain knows its true. They are glory hunters, which is why they have little patience for international football.

Supporting Ireland doesn't appeal to the "glory hunter" for obvious reasons.

However the thing that really makes me laugh about the Irish supporters of the big four english clubs, is their hypocrital attitude. For example, when the Glaziers took over United I distinctly remember my friends getting into a heated debate over "foreigners" taking over "their club" LOL. Also they, for some reason, don't feel that supporters from places like Thailand or USA are "true" supporters. In reality, a supporter from Thailand is in the same bracket as a supporter from Ireland i.e they are just "fans" from a foreign country looking to be part of something successful. They would do well to remember that.

I feel there is a big difference between an Irish person supporting a team that is 45 minutes away on a plane, compared to an Asian or American person supporting a team that is half way around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Is it not possible to do both? I know I do...

• Advertisement

I feel there is a big difference between an Irish person supporting a team that is 45 minutes away on a plane, compared to an Asian or American person supporting a team that is half way around the world.

lol of course you do. But in reality there is no difference you're still a foreigner supporting the club.

By your "geographical proximity" logic people living in Calais have more of a "right" to support london based clubs than people in Newcastle??

That said, the vast majority of Irish fans of English clubs have never even made the 45 min plane trip to see their "beloved" team play.

lol of course you do. But in reality there is no difference you're still a foreigner supporting the club.

By your "geographical proximity" logic people living in Calais have more of a "right" to support london based clubs than people in Newcastle??

That said, the vast majority of Irish fans of English clubs have never even made the 45 min plane trip to see their "beloved" team play.

It's no surprise that the Irish support the English league because it's where the best Irish players play.

It's no surprise that the Irish support the English league because it's where the best Irish players play.

Is that an influence though?

Is that an influence though?

It's not for me, but it is for some people. Plenty of oul fellas around now who support Leeds and West Brom

Wow just wow. Football fans support successful teams shocker:eek:

Its also were the best players from America play and the best players from a host of other countries too. So why, as some Irish seem to believe, are Irish supporters of these clubs "truer" supporters than American or Australian or any other country for that matter?? My point is , they're not.

You see some Irish people that support the likes of Manchester United seem to forget the fact that they are supporting a team from a different country. Therefore, they are no more or less a supporter than somebody from Australia, America or Thailand.

Also how many Irish players actually play for most supported English teams (top 4)?? Only one regular . John'O shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the current crop of Irish players were all playing in division 2 and lower, I doubt you'd see mass binning of Sky subscriptions.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Wow just wow. Football fans support successful teams shocker:eek:

WOW a poster who missed the whole point shocker. LOL

You should be aware that a hell of a lot of fans don't support successful teams. In fact these fans, tend to be the real die hard football fans. The type of fans that attend Eircom league games here, or League one games in England for example. The type of fans that tend to know a bit about football...

Its also were the best players from America play and the best players from a host of other countries too. So why, as some Irish seem to believe, are Irish supporters of these clubs "truer" supporters than American or Australian or any other country for that matter?? My point is , they're not.

You see some Irish people that support the likes of Manchester United seem to forget the fact that they are supporting a team from a different country. Therefore, they are no more or less a supporter than somebody from Australia, America or Thailand.

Also how many Irish players actually play for most supported English teams (top 4)?? Only one regular . John'O shea

I always thought you judge a supporter by the amount of games for said team he'll attend. If a guy who lives 10 minutes from say Anfield goes to see Liverpool 5 times a season as opposed to the guy from Cork who goes over to see Liverpool 10 times a season, is the guy from Cork a lesser supporter because he's from Cork? I go over to Anfield between 5-6 times a season as well as 3-4 away games(Europe included). Am i not a supporter?

WOW a poster who missed the whole point shocker. LOL

You should be aware that a hell of a lot of fans don't support successful teams. In fact these fans, tend to be the real die hard football fans. The type of fans that attend Eircom league games here, or League one games in England for example. The type of fans that tend to know a bit about football...
    I know a bit about the game. Try me on for size if you like?

• Advertisement

When I started supporting Arsenal we had 11 English players in our starting line up and 98% of our squad was English. Football did exist in England prior to the premier league and the influx of foreigners.

Yes in supporting Arsenal I am supporting a team from a diffrent country but I don't view myself as less of a supporter then someone from England and have never been treated as such in fact it is the complete opposite. I certainly wouldn't view myself as a better supporter from anyone else though I do actually go to matches regularly that maybe someone from America etc doesn't but thats becuse we are less than a 50 minute flight to London

I don't support Ireland so the fact that we have no Irish players is of no concern to me.

I know a bit about the game. Try me on for size if you like?

lol are you serious?? "Try me on for size"?? lol . Yea I'm sure you know how to use google. Fair play to you.

The point of this thread is club v country. I firmly believe, Irish "football" fans that choose a foreign club over their own country are just glory hunters. They only follow success. Football is not just about success, indeed its only a very small part of it. There can only be one champion, the rest are losers. Following football should be about belonging to something bigger, a community. If you can't support your own country ( becuase the players are not up to your "standard"), but you can support a foreign club, than I don't believe you are a football fan at all. You are merely a fan of watching other people being successful. Now that is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

lol are you serious?? "Try me on for size"?? lol . Yea I'm sure you know how to use google. Fair play to you.

The point of this thread is club v country. I firmly believe, Irish "football" fans that choose a foreign club over their own country are just glory hunters. They only follow success. Football is not just about success, indeed its only a very small part of it. There can only be one champion, the rest are losers. Following football should be about belonging to something bigger, a community. If you can't support your own country ( becuase the players are not up to your "standard"), but you can support a foreign club, than I don't believe you are a football fan at all. You are merely a fan of watching other people being successful. Now that is pathetic.

Yeah I support United because I'm a glory hunter. Except for oh my mother being born in Manchester and having relatives there who pretty much didn't give me a choice growing up. United has been bred into me.

Club > Country why? Cause United is where I feel at home. Ian brown once said "its not where you're from. its where you're at". I am in love with the culture that surrounds the cities of Manchester, Salford and Trafford. The music, the sense of humour etc. I just like the place. I don't think you can support United or City if you aren't in love with the place.

And me not supporting Ireland is nothing to do with the standard of football. I'll watch a world cup if its on but I quite frankly don't care who wins. I cannot turn around and suddenly dislike Wayne Rooney because he is playing for England and by the same logic I can't turn around and love Shay Given (City) or Robbie Keane (ex-Liverpool) just because they are playing for Ireland.

All I care about is that no United players come back injured or they are not responsible for England going out (looking at what happened to Beckham and so on)

apoch632 wrote: »
    Yeah I support United because I'm a glory hunter. Except for oh my mother being born in Manchester and having relatives there who pretty much didn't give me a choice growing up. United has been bred into me.

Blah blah blah, every second United fan says something similar. "ooh my great grandfather visited Manchester with his pet cat, ever since my family have always supported the team." You may very well be telling the truth, i don't know/care. What I do know is, the vast majority of United fans in Ireland support them becuase they are successful. They ALL try and create their own "legacy" of support. Its hilarious. Anything but face up to the truth I suppose.

If what you say is true, than you have connections in manchester and are half english hence wouldn't fit into the category of "glory hunting Irish fan". However, I suspect all the other posters will now start fabricating their deep connections with their top four English club of choice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Blah blah blah, every second United fan says something similar. "ooh my great grandfather visited Manchester with his pet cat, ever since my family have always supported the team." You may very well be telling the truth, i don't know/care. What I do know is, the vast majority of United fans in Ireland support them becuase they are successful. They ALL try and create their own "legacy" of support. Its hilarious. Anything but face up to the truth I suppose.

If what you say is true, than you have connections in manchester and are half english hence wouldn't fit into the cathegory of "glory hunting Irish fan". However, I suspect all the other posters will now start fabricating their deep connections with their top four English club of choice lol

If I am half english that I don't know. I've always been confused about what nationality I fit into tbh

Different conversation for a different time me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Club over county any day. Getting to an All Ireland on St Patrick's day with a team of lads you've hurled with since you were a toddler must surely be the greatest feeling in the world.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

flahavaj wrote: »
    Club over county any day. Getting to an All Ireland on St Patrick's day with a team of lads you've hurled with since you were a toddler must surely be the greatest feeling in the world.:pac:
    But what if its a local county, not a foreign one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mmcd wrote: »
    But what if its a local county, not a foreign one?

Most lads hurl for the local club and county bai.;)

Club>County.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

apoch632 wrote: »
    Cause United is where I feel at home. Ian brown once said "its not where you're from. its where you're at". I am in love with the culture that surrounds the cities of Manchester, Salford and Trafford. The music, the sense of humour etc. I just like the place. I don't think you can support United or City if you aren't in love with the place.

Would you not move there? Not challenging you - an honest question.

I agree with you about Manchester. I was born there to Irish parents (moved here at 11 - 27 years ago) and have loads of family there. It's a fantastic place, but I feel like Dublin is my home.

• Advertisement

Where did i say i don't support my country. Lol. Typical paronoid loi fan. Read,think,post. In that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Country obviously. Man Utd are just some Brit team I picked as a young fella..

Where did i say i don't support my country. Lol. Typical paronoid loi fan. Read,think,post. In that order.

hmmm maybe you should follow your own advice. If you read my post properly you'd realise I never accused "you" specifically of not supporting your country. I was making a point in general about people who don't. Its called using a "generic" you. Easily identified in this context by the following ...

"I firmly believe, Irish "football" fans that choose a foreign club over their own country are just glory hunters. They only follow success."

also by the line... " If you can't support your own country ."

The "you" can easily be replaced with "one", however, it would sound a bit too pretentious for a football forum.

In light of this my advice to you is , "Read, Read again, perhaps read aloud, think, and finally post."

I agree with Rondolfus that most Irish people who follow an English Prem team (9 times out of 10, a top 4 team) do it because the team are successful. Ive said it myself, I got into following Utd when I was kid on the back of their success. Im sure alot of Irish people have relatives, or some links with these clubs, and great if they do. I have nothing to do with Manchester, and I wouldnt cod myself by pretending otherwise.

The only people that have any real right to claim allegiance to an english club are the english people from that particular town or city. Its a community v community thing. The problem in Ireland is, soccer (to distinguish it from GAA) only became respectable to people outside of its traditional hotbeds of Dublin and Cork etc, in recent years. The GAA has always catered for the community rivalry in rural Ireland, and serves the same purpose as football does in england. Im from rural Ireland, theres no soccer team in my parish, let alone a LOI team. So that, and the fact every great Irish player has plied his trade for a big english club, leads lots of people to follow english football.

Im still not blinkered by the Sky Sports propaganda and the dazzling lights of a super sunday though. Bottom line is the national team is made of Irish men who are representing US, not a town in the north of england.
    Whatever highs and lows Ive experienced following Utd, dont even compare to that of the Irish team. Bonners save against Timofte, Houghton in the Giants Stadium, McAteer against Holland. Nothing matches those moments.

"I firmly believe, Irish "football" fans that choose a foreign club over their own country are just glory hunters. They only follow success."

also by the line... " If you can't support your own country ."

I'm not a glory hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Ireland to win world cup or bohs to qualify for the champions league group stages?

id go with bohs everytime.!!!!

• Advertisement

Are you allowed to pick the country you support?

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to pick the country you support?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

If you can't support your own country ( becuase the players are not up to your "standard"), but you can support a foreign club, than I don't believe you are a football fan at all. You are merely a fan of watching other people being successful. Now that is pathetic.

what about if you dont support "your" country becuase you think international football is pointless and dull?

Helix wrote: »
    what about if you dont support "your" country becuase you think international football is pointless and dull?

By the same token, would that mean that if in say 20 years the premiership was no longer the glamour league in Europe and all the top players were playing in Serie A again, you would quit supporting an english league club because they were full of average players playing a kick and run game of football? Is that as far as your support goes?

major bill wrote: »
    Ireland to win world cup or bohs to qualify for the champions league group stages?

id go with bohs everytime.!!!!

I like the way a user called "Gavin shels" thanked this post. lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement