Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help with home heating oil burner

Options
  • 28-11-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

We had a firebird kerosene & light oil burner installed during the summer and has run without problems until our last delivery of diesel oil.

model No: RDB2.2 FIREBIRD C26 90K 744T3K

Aprox. 15 minutes the burner resets and the red reset button needs to be pressed every time to get it running again. At this point I have tried all \i can, the manual states to check various components like the photo cell and fuel filter, the photo cell is spotless as it is a new burner and I removed the fuel filter and cleaned it in warm soapy water. Also, I bled the burner and fuel is reaching the burner without any problems.

Referring to the manual also states to adjust the air-damper and fuel pressure. I am not sure messing around with the fuel pressure as I really don't have the knowledge or testing equipment to make accurate or educated adjustments, but what I did do was set the air-pressure from factory setting 3 up to 4 to test for changes, then from 4 to 2 to test with no positive results.

It's ruddy freezing and my kids just got the swine-flue vaccine, please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Have you a clear plastic bowl on the fuel line?

Does it appear to empty as the burner fires ?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

no, it's a steel bowl type. I'm pretty sure fuel is getting to it as when I unscrew the bleeder screw there is good fuel and pressure, unless after a while the pump stops working...

Only other thing I noticed was when I removed the plate on the burner to check for blockages in the plates was that was soot covering the small window not allowing me to see the flame...excessive soot mean anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

yeah it means incomplete combustion.
    Your burner is definitely set up for diesel not kero?

You need to get it serviced methinks as something is wrong with the fuel mix and you won't get it right without a combustiion meter ( too expensive for diy purchase)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Looks like your burner is setup for kerosene. It would run OK in the warmer weather, but the flame is now floating away as the temperature is dropping. All modern burners run best on kerosene, even if you can set them up for diesel. If there is soot, you need an expert to set it up properly for diesel.
    Jim.

Advertisement