Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best keeper outside top four and Given

• 28-11-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Looking around, there seems to be loads of top class goalkeepers in the Premier League outside the top four and Given.

Friedel, Jaaskelainen (minus last week), even Gomes has his days where's simply unstoppable.

Who is the best apart from Given and the top four?

Best goalkeeper? 139 votes

Sorensen
    0% 0 votes
    Friedel
    10% 15 votes
    Jensen
    23% 33 votes
    Hart
    0% 1 vote
    Green
    6% 9 votes
    Robinson
    3% 5 votes
    Schwarzer
    0% 1 vote
    Jaaskelainen
    16% 23 votes
    Howard
    30% 42 votes
    Gomes
    7% 10 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Schwarzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You forgot James.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

i voted for Friedel but now i am thinking Schwarzer:o

let me change it please, pretty please or can someone that was going to vote for friedel vote for Schwarzer this injustice must be rectified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jaaskelainen by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

My bad on James, JPA.

I voted for Joe Hart. I think he's a top class keeper, was the hero in England's U21 Champs during the summer and was a massive loss when he was suspended for the final. He's still young, and they say goalkeepers don't come into their prime until the latter end of their career so he's got a long career ahead of him.

He has to be in England's plans, too. Maybe after the WC.

• Advertisement

I think Sorenson is a great keeper.

Hart is too young to be considered best of the rest imo. Kirkland looked class, Green isn't setting the world alight anymore. Where is Carson? Robinson is decent at best these days. He needs a while longer.

Schwarzer, Friedel, James, Sorensen and Jaaskelainen should be the contenders IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Voted Friedel. Although he's starting to decline he's been more impresssive than Given was over his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Carson is in the championship where he belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

What has Given done to be mentioned in the same breath as Pepe Reina?

• Advertisement

Rob Green for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jaaskelainen for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why is papa reina so sought after? Im sure if he was as good as he is made out to be he would have been snapped up by them, er. galacticos...

He is a very solid keeper no doubt about it, but no more so that several others in the top flight

why is papa reina so sought after? Im sure if he was as good as he is made out to be he would have been snapped up by them, er. galacticos...

He is a very solid keeper no doubt about it, but no more so that several others in the top flight
    What? Reina wouldnt even go there, you do relaise they have one of the best keepers ever in Casilias.

Reina is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

At the moment,Sorenesen seems to be coming out of Friedels and Jaaskelainen's shadow from over the last couple of years.Sorenson for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

fkt wrote: »

Played for Newcastle and looked good while doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why would they want him? they have the only Spanish goalkeeper better then him...

Reina offers so so much. Fantastic character, keeps shouting at the back 4 at all times, fantastic concentration - can be quiet for the whole game and still spot the occasions when he needs to rush out of goal to clear the ball outside of his box just before an onrushing striker. Great shot stopper, excellent at pens and what probably sets him apart from most keepers, a fantastic eye for a potential opening in the oppositions defence and the ability to pick a man out with a GK from 3/4's of the pitch away.

His only weakness is sometimes being less then convincing for set pieces coming in from wide angles. And he's got 10+ years at the very top level ahead of him!

Played for Newcastle and looked good while doing so.

There's more to goalkeeping than shot stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

There's more to goalkeeping than shot stopping.

Where in my post did it say that, that was all he was good at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm sorry everyone, but you're all forgetting one man

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Where in my post did it say that, that was all he was good at?

Erm, nowhere. But shotstopping is his only quality for which he can be named in the same breath as the big four keepers.

I don't know why he should be named with the likes of Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Eh Cassilas? A legend at the club and one of the worlds best. Would make no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Sorensen top goal-keeper, will thrown his body at everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

But shotstopping is his only quality for which he can be named in the same breath as the big four keepers.

You Sir, know nothing about goalkeeping.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jussi has been great for years. It's a real shame he never got to show his brilliance for a bigger club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

MrStuffins wrote: »

lol

fair play thats something you wouldn't see a top 4 keeper doing very often.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Jaaskelainen hands down.

Also shouldnt Reina be on this poll, even still i probably still would have picked Jaaskelainen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

STEVE HARPER

curry-muff wrote: »
    Jaaskelainen hands down.

Bad words when talking about keepers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

MrStuffins wrote: »

Was about to post that!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Erm, nowhere. But shotstopping is his only quality for which he can be named in the same breath as the big four keepers.

I don't know why he should be named with the likes of Reina.

I'm really sick of seeing Given not get the credit he deserves on this forum. Are you seriously saying Given dosnn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Manuel Almunia?

What else does he offer apart from shot stopping? A calming influence on the back four, very very rarely makes an error, his handling and dealing with crosses is severly underrated, and has shown time and time again for Ireland that he can make that vital save when faced with little to do for much of the 90 minutes.

The only minor criticism you could level at him is he's a bit reluctant to come off his line, but when you're as good as Given, it doesn't matter as much. All things considered, I think him and Reina are the two best keepers in the league, and both amongst the top 5 in the world.

In answer to the O/P's question - Brad Friedel.

Re: Shay Given

I don't care what anyone says, Given is World Class and all this "He's only a good shot-stopper" rubbish is beyond belief.

Believe it or not, shot-stopping is the most important part of a goalkeepers job.

It's like saying Ruud Van Nistelrooy was a rubbish Striker because all he could do was score goals, but he couldn't turn a defender inside-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Shay Given is rubbish at dealing with crosses.

Thats why none of the top clubs ever went in for him.

Very very very good goalie. & one of our best ever players.

But not world class.

Mr Alan wrote: »

But not world class.

I'm sorry, but you've been listening to too much Jamie Redknapp and not watching enough football. His dealing with crosses is terribly under rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

But not world class.

Because he doesn't attack every single cross that comes his way, he's rubbish at dealing with crosses? Sorry, I don't buy that. He deals very will with crosses he can get, but sometimes discretion is the best way to deal with crosses, and Given will stay on his line rather than flap at a cross he had no real chance of getting, and would usually pull of a great save. Rather than punching fresh air, like Petr Cech has done on a number of occassions this season.

Given is easily world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

go on you jaaskelainen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    go on you jaaskelainen

It's a name I just like saying.
    I don't think I'm alone in that

Top keeper, got my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Well so far this season Given along with several other keepers in the premier league has conceded less goals than Reina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jussi for me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Brad Friedel. Nevermind parking the bus, just park Friedel there. Same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Jaaskelainen for me he has produced some of the best goal keeping performances I have ever seen. Excellent goalkeeper and it makes you wonder why he is not with a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

wonder if Jussi ever wears these;

JuicyPants.jpg
    does this post have merit or was it just an excuse to post that picture; you decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I voted Jussi, excellent keeper.

I'm trying not to be drawn into this whole Given isn't world class stuff but the "crap at coming for crosses" chestnut keeps dragging me in! It's like people have heard it and just accepted it. He comes for loads of crosses!! He also packs an almighty punch, so if he cant hold onto the ball from a cross, he usually smashes it out of his area.

And this "if he was that good, one of the top 4 would of gotten him" stuff that people throw about. The top four are VDS, Cech, Almunia and Reina. Think about the keepers that United brought in to replace Schmeichel. So many mistakes. They got VDS in the end who is doing a decent job but can be so rocky at times. Cech and Reina are absolutely brilliant keepers and there is no room for a Given in there but Arsenal probably should of taken Given to the emirates when they had to chance and I'd say Mark Hughes still thanks his lucky stars over getting him.

Just because the top four didn't go for Given doesn't mean there is an underlying flaw to what appears to be a World class goalkeeper. He is just a world class player. :)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

CHD wrote: »
    Hart is too young to be considered best of the rest imo. Kirkland looked class, Green isn't setting the world alight anymore. Where is Carson? Robinson is decent at best these days. He needs a while longer.

Schwarzer, Friedel, James, Sorensen and Jaaskelainen should be the contenders IMO.

gone for the rope!

But not world class.

He's far from rubbish in dealing with crosses.

In fact, and i'm not sayin that he doesn't make mistakes, but when thinking of Given errors....i'm thinking, Dion Dublin catching him out, but other than that....i'm struggling!! He's one of the most reliant keepers in the world!!

I remember Reina f*cking up at Old Trafford (the one where Anderson played his great match for Utd), Birmingham away, Ashton's goal in the Cup Final.

Keepers make mistakes, but those two are the two best keepers in the premier league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Ha! Who voted for Gomes?

Just on a side note, how many keepers still playing in the P/L (either 1st team or sub) have played for the top four

I can only think of

United:
    Tim Howard (Everton)

Liverpool:
    James (Pompey)
    Kirkland (Wigan)
    Friedel (Villa)
    Warner (Fulham)

Chelsea:
    Cudicini (Spurs)

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Ha! Who voted for Gomes?

Just on a side note, how many keepers still playing in the P/L (either 1st team or sub) have played for the top four

I can only think of

United:
    Tim Howard (Everton)

Liverpool:
    James (Pompey)
    Kirkland (Wigan)
    Friedel (Villa)
    Warner (Fulham)

Chelsea:
    Cudicini (Spurs)

In fairness to Gomez, he had a catastrophic start, but over the past year, he's shown his true form!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Looking around, there seems to be loads of top class goalkeepers in the Premier League outside the top four and Given.

Friedel, Jaaskelainen (minus last week), even Gomes has his days where's simply unstoppable.

Who is the best apart from Given and the top four?

Surprisingly enough he actually (along with the Spurs defence) set the Tottenham record for fewest goals conceded at home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/5328154/Heurelho-Gomes-ready-to-help-Tottenham-set-new-record.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

But not world class.

To be fair he deals with crosses very well. As a Newcastle fan myself I've seen him many many times when he was playing for us. I've seen him a lot, moreso than most people and he dealt with crosses quite well.

For a goalkeeper who has had to work with sh*t defenders throughout his career he is an unbelievable goalkeeper and has remained consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Schwarzer, soon to be Guzan

• Advertisement
Advertisement