Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullfinch

• 28-11-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Saw a pair of bullfinches in the garden today. They seemed to be eating sycamore seeds. Are they a very rare sight in a garden? It is probably 15-20 years since I've seen one! Even when we were putting out lots of seeds and nuts in winter I hardly ever saw one.

Unfortunately I only got a tiny and rubbish pic of the male on my mobile phone, see attached.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

looks more like a robin to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

They are quite common here outside my house in MAyo. Infact there are a pair feeding now of seeds in the field opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Saw a pair of bullfinches in the garden today. They seemed to be eating sycamore seeds. Are they a very rare sight in a garden? It is probably 15-20 years since I've seen one! Even when we were putting out lots of seeds and nuts in winter I hardly ever saw one.

Unfortunately I only got a tiny and rubbish pic of the male on my mobile phone, see attached.

Beautiful birds but they are a menace in orchards as they love those blossoms and buds. They don't tend to be birdtable birds - in my experience. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

PCPhoto wrote: »
    looks more like a robin to me.

Then you should have gone to Specsavers. :rolleyes:
    It's clearly a male Bullfinch.

They are not rare in gardens but still a good one to get. They visit gardens but are not regular visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

We have a pair and the female is hilarious with the male, quite bossy!

The pair we have are quite particular, they won't appear for anything but Sunflower seeds.

Thinking of a similar sized bird, I'm hoping we don't get any Black Caps this year, very territorial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement