Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam woes

Options
  • 28-11-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Ok so I'm in a bit of a sticky situation atm. I have my elective exam today which I know I'm going to fail.

I missed the oral, aural and class test for various reasons which I'd rather not elaborate on. The exam today is worth 40% so I'd have to get 100% in it to pass this module.

Is it worth my while driving down for the exam (it will take me over an hour) or should I just repeat it all in the summer.

I'm in first year so I don't know the procedures for the this kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Without asking for details - can you claim extenuating circumstances for missing the other bits? If not, well, my opinion is: if you haven't met any of the continuous assessment requirements of the course, and if you already know you don't know enough to pass on the exam, then it's fair to say that you have not done the course, in effect, and it's a lost cause for now.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Do you think I could repeat it in the summer? I don't mind paying repeat fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

merryhappy wrote: »
    Do you think I could repeat it in the summer? I don't mind paying repeat fees etc.

It depends on whether or not the course is being offered in the second semester. If it is, then you will be able to repeat it next summer; if not, then you won't be able to repeat the module until Semester 1 next academic year.

If you think you could get an extenuating circumstances exemption, then you may be able to submit part of the course work late, which may help you to pass the course, then sit the exam. If you don't sit the exam, as was mentioned above, you won't be able to pass the course (a number of courses require a student to pass the course assignments as well as the written examination) and will have to repeat it next time it is offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

elective exam on a Saturday?a mid term exam you mean?:D i thought we only have the big ones on a saturday.....ucd.....

and OT,OP go do it!you are 1st yr which is the year that you will find that it is surprisingly very hard to fail a subject,go do all the assignments/exams that you are still able to do,save yourself some hassle during summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

get 30% and pass by compensation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

muboop1 wrote: »
    get 30% and pass by compensation...

Could someone explain passing by compensation to me please? Or direct me to somewhere that explains it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

not very specific but what i heard all these years is :pac:

if you can get a E or F grade(which is 30%,failed,but close to 40%) in a subject,you can compensate of getting a pass for that subject.in order to do so i think you need an A or good grade in any one other subject.

is tricky,i know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I wasn't aware that it was possible to pass by compensation with an F. I thought the minimum grade required was an E?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I've done this a few times in the past...

You need an E, think its a grade between 30-39%.

You can compensate for up to 3 subjects if you can keep your GPA above a 2.0

It's somewhere in the UCD website... dunno where!

Advertisement