Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Lesotho

Options
  • 28-11-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Anyone ever lived in Lesotho, Africa....

Love to hear your experiences...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yellowstar

hey I never lived in Lesotho but i lived in South Africa very close to the Lesotho border and visited a few times. Its really a very beautiful country even with its size. Living there as a foreigner would be quite difficult, I knew some girls who lived there as part of their voluntary placement they loved it but they were there as part of an organised group. From what I can rem its very African still in that there was little to no western influences but that was about 5 years ago so alot could have changed by now. Not sure Im any help to you sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pipsickle

fi314 wrote: »
    Anyone ever lived in Lesotho, Africa....

Love to hear your experiences...

Hey, I've been out to Lesotho as a volunteer twice now and am due to go there again in January for a few months. It's a wonderful country, with friendly, joyful and welcoming people on the whole. As with all countries you need to know the local etiquette and the rules for keeping safe. For example, you don't go out after dark, if you're a foreigner, particularly white, you wouldn't live anywhere that doesn't have a security fence around it. You might even need a night watchman for the place. I had a good experience of being in the country and travelled around independently by day by private car. Public transport is by minibus taxi which is a small bus that waits until it is full before travelling (very slow way to travel) and private taxi (which can be very expensive). Car hire is pretty expensive and based on Euro/Dollar hire charges. If you're thinking of setting up a business there most of the business owners I met were living over the border in South Africa and commuting in. If you're going from Ireland you might want to ask the advice of the Irish Ambassador, Paddy Fay, who lives in the capital Maseru. Anyway, good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Thanks for the information, I hope to move out in Feb for a year...

I have previously lived in nariobi so I have a good grasp of HSS issues.

From your experience whats communication facilities, for example is internet widely available....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pipsickle

Yes, there are places with good internet connection. The best one I found is in TY (situated 1/2 way between Maseru and Maputsoe). There is a business outlet called R2 and they have broadband. The only other way we found was to have a Vodafone Dongle (I think that's what they're called) which you pay for as you go like a mobile phone. But you can only use this if you're very near to the South African border. There are places to get connected to the internet in Maseru and also in Maputsoe too, but, like I say, TY was the best when I was there.

Advertisement