Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay docked for Union leaders last Tuesday?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

As a member of the ASTI along with all other 250,000 workers across the public sector workers, I won't and rightly wouldn't expect to be paid for last Tuesday, November 24th nor this Thursday, December 3rd if the impending second skrike goes ahead.

However, will the Union leaders who are earning the guts of €150,000-€190,00 (in pay and expenses) per annum request that their pay is docked for the strike day(s) in "solidarity" with the ordinary public sectors works on the ground.

Some Ambulance Personnel who were on emergency over for the day still worked a 12-hour shift and won't get one cent for working that day, as well as the nurses and other emergency service cover staff.

I certainly would like to see the likes of John White (ASTI General Secretary) and Peter McLoone (Chairman, ICTU Public Services Committee) and others be docked pay for the day(s) in recognition of the pay sacrifices of the Public Service works on the picket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Given that they are paid about 5 times the amount of the lowest paid worker, there should be a rule that they take a deduction of at minimum 5x (1day of the lowest paid worker) per day of strike action.

You could be certain, if that were the case, their strategies would be more carefully thought out. Its easy for me to order you to walk through hot coals, if I can just stand on the side line watching you.
    If I have to walk through it with you........................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you are a member of one of these unions then you can propose these arrangements. These people have served those who pay them better than the leaders of the banks who wiped out their shareholders capital or the government who have ruined the country on behalf of these pals in the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Personally, I voted against the Strike. I want to protect my pay and conditions but on the overall scheme of things striking is not going to achieve anything - only more pay deductions are a result of not working on those days. I do support the public servants on the picket but I certainly hope to god Thursday's strike is averted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It is for union members to bring this forward.
    OP, all you have to do is raise this at the branch meeting and it'll go upwards to HQ. Simple as that

The leaders represent their members, if you want something from them then go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

foxymm wrote: »
    Some Ambulance Personnel who were on emergency over for the day still worked a 12-hour shift and won't get one cent for working that day, as well as the nurses and other emergency service cover staff
    I work in an essential frontline service and did a 15 hour shift that day (7am to 10pm). I'm not 100% sure but AFAIK, I'll lose a full day's pay.

(Yet unfortunately, we are being unfairly associated with those who simply had a day off work or who were only required to attend for 1 hour's picket duty. :()
    foxymm wrote:
    I certainly would like to see the likes of John White (ASTI General Secretary) and Peter McLoone (Chairman, ICTU Public Services Committee) and others be docked pay for the day(s) in recognition of the pay sacrifices of the Public Service works on the picket.
    I wouldn't necessarily agree. If trade union leaders took a pay cut, it would send out the message that pay cuts are appropriate and acceptable which might not sit easily with a lot of members.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I work in an essential frontline service and did a 15 hour shift that day (7am to 10pm). I'm not 100% sure but AFAIK, I'll lose a full day's pay.

(Yet unfortunately, we are being unfairly associated with those who simply had a day off work or who were only required to attend for 1 hour's picket duty. :()

WOW.. public or private, strike or no strike, a 15 hour day for no pay really sucks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Pay docked for union leaders:D:D
    I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

ardmacha wrote: »
    If you are a member of one of these unions then you can propose these arrangements. These people have served those who pay them better than the leaders of the banks who wiped out their shareholders capital or the government who have ruined the country on behalf of these pals in the banks.

Yea, David Begg certaintly represented those who pay him while sitting on the boards of the Central Bank and Aer Lingus. And didn't McLoone do a great job in FAS.:rolleyes:

Advertisement