Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged plasma TV

Options
  • 28-11-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Our plasma tv was damaged last night (2 yr old hit it!), and is now cracked and from what I see on the web they are not economically feasible to repair.

The insurance co says that someone will call Monday to arrange to inspect the TV and they mentioned that they'll either repair or replace.

Now I gues the repair option is going to work out more expensive than a new one (same model is now around 500, we paid 999 3 yrs ago)

When they say replace, I presume they send you a cheque for the value.

My questions if anyone has had this experience before:

Does replace mean financially or can they dig out another TV and expect us to accept it?
    Are items like this treated like a car, i.e. although we paid 999 for it, the replacement balue is now around 500 so the insurance will only pay out 500 minus the excess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will depend on the policy. You will only ever get the replacement cost for the same TV (or nearest available), so €500 not €999. If there is a "new for old" clause, you will get the value of a new TV (subject to the excess clause).

Fire guard for the new TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Victor wrote: »
    It will depend on the policy. You will only ever get the replacement cost for the same TV (or nearest available), so €500 not €999. If there is a "new for old" clause, you will get the value of a new TV (subject to the excess clause).

Fire guard for the new TV?

Thanks, I think the new version of the tv is about 500, but that's better than nothing!

I'm thinking more like electric fence.

I'm right in thinking that plasmas are not repairable for something like this (screen powers on but just a mish mash of colours, with a big grey spot around the crack - like when you pressed with your thumb on an LCD screen from years ago)?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

By replacement, they could offer you the same or comparable tv. They won't give you the thousand euro though, 500 max.

Advertisement