Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell laptop problem from hell

Options
  • 28-11-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

hello all.
    I have purchased an expensive dell xps laptop from dell 2 years ago and it is constantly failing. this is the third time in 1 year it has failed. for some reason the graphics card keeps breaking with thick blue and red lines showing on the monitor and i cannot use the laptop at all for my work. so i was wondering do any of you know the contact details of dell head office in bray as i am looking for a replacement system that does work as technical support do not seem to be interested in making a permanant fix for this laptop. this is surely the last time i ever purchase a dell system again. at the moment i am doing a computer repair course and need this laptop for studying so this is really going to set me back. thanks to anyone that can direct me to the proper people in dell to deal with this ongoing problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Since the repair was not permanent, you are fully entitled to seek alternate redress. If they refuse a replacement or refund, then use the Small Claims Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

jor el wrote: »
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Since the repair was not permanent, you are fully entitled to seek alternate redress. If they refuse a replacement or refund, then use the Small Claims Court.

thanks very much for the information jor el

I am awaiting response from the national consumer agency on this issue. hopefully on monday i will get some information.

well i got a reply from the national consumer agency and i am in the process of writing a letter to dell i was told to register the letter as well. will have to wait now a few days to see what dell's response is. if i still get no satisfaction it will have to be the small claims court.

the redress was successful dell contacted me by phone just now and are replacing the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/nvidia.html

This is a pretty well known issue with laptops with Nvidia cards, to the point where their share price tanked because of the cost of replacing these chips. If they replace the laptop with a laptop with the same gfx card you are going to have the same problem in a years time. And you will most likely not have a warranty with them at that time. I would push for a refund due to the inability for them to fix the problem.

• Advertisement

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/nvidia.html

This is a pretty well known issue with laptops with Nvidia cards, to the point where their share price tanked because of the cost of replacing these chips. If they replace the laptop with a laptop with the same gfx card you are going to have the same problem in a years time. And you will most likely not have a warranty with them at that time. I would push for a refund due to the inability for them to fix the problem.

as far as i can tell at the moment ...the guy from dell rang me and said the replacement will be of the same or upgraded so i will see in the morning via e-mail. once it bloody works and has the same or better specs i'm a happy camper. i really need to transfere my work doc to a new laptop fast cause pen and paper is a pain. any way i will know tomorrow as he has to send the specs of the new replacemnt sys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

glad this has been sorted out for you after months of failed repairs op, and it also proves the power of a letter compared to a call to some indian call centre! Their job is to save the company money even if that means customers are made pay for repairs that should be free etc. Always Write to these companies and they will usually treat you fairly as they know you are prepared to take action!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    glad this has been sorted out for you after months of failed repairs op, and it also proves the power of a letter compared to a call to some indian call centre! Their job is to save the company money even if that means customers are made pay for repairs that should be free etc. Always Write to these companies and they will usually treat you fairly as they know you are prepared to take action!

thats for sure foggylad. i have just recieved the dell response in e-mail. i am more than happy with these specs thats for sure.

As discussed hereby sending you the specs for the replacement system. this is the best gaming system what we have which matches the original order. Kindly have a check and let us know if you agree for it with the shipping address so that I can book the order. Awaiting customer response. Most of the parts have been upgraded when compare it to your original order.
    Components
    COLOUR CHOICE Alienware M17x Gaming Laptop - Space Black
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9800 (2.93GHz,1066MHz FSB,6MB L2 Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
    OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office 2007 Home and Student - English
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 2 years Next Business Day + Accidental Damage
    SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee® VirusScan Plus (15 month subscription)
    LCD 17-inch Wide UXGA 1920 x 1200 - Beyond HD (1200p) Display
    MEMORY 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
    HARD DRIVE 250GB (7,200rpm) Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive
    GRAPHICS CARD Single 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
    OPTICAL DRIVE Internal Blu-Ray RW (Blu-Ray, DVD and CD read & WRITE) Optical Drive with Software
    PRIMARY BATTERY 9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion battery

ALIENFX COLOUR Mars Red
    WALLPAPERS Alienhead 3D(Widescreen)
    MOUSE POINTERS Standard
    TIMEZONE (GMT + 00.00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
    WINDOW STYLE Window Style - Default
    BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module - Europe
    ACCESSORIES Alienware Tactx Surround sound headset (with microphone) KIT
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card (802.11n) European

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

nice new machine anyway.

good on you to take action, so many people just replace at their own expense.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    nice new machine anyway.

good on you to take action, so many people just replace at their own expense.

thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement