Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why surrender your firearm? just donate or sell to people

Options
  • 28-11-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Just coming off the the below tread.

What kind of firearm did you/will you surrender rather than relicence? :eek:

I see alot of good firearms which are surrendered because of the fees which are in place now.

My thought on this. Why not sell the firearms or donate to a person who is interested in shooting?

Im not sure on the hassle of paperwork or legal work of this, but i think it is a waste of a firearm just to be given in...

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I suspect that most of the people who respond to that poll interpret 'surrender' as applying to the Firearm Certificate, rather than to the firearm itself.
    I'm sure plenty of firearms have been 'surrendered' to the Gardai, but I personally know that lots have also been placed into the custody of firearms dealers and the Certificates 'surrendered'; many of those in a 'horse-trading' effort to licence other firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Spunk84 wrote: »

I see alot of good firearms which are surrendered because of the fees which are in place now.

My thought on this. Why not sell the firearms or donate to a person who is interested in shooting?

Im not sure on the hassle of paperwork or legal work of this, but i think it is a waste of a firearm just to be given in...

Or donate them to Clubs / Ranges

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not worth it if they're ratty guns of no particular value.
    I do remember someone on the antiques forum saying they cut up a BSA Martini and handed it in though :(. Would have loved one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

kowloon wrote: »
    Not worth it if they're ratty guns of no particular value.
    I do remember someone on the antiques forum saying they cut up a BSA Martini and handed it in though :(. Would have loved one of those.

the bsa martini's are nearly impossible to give away so i am told , the firearms dealer in crumlin may-tec or may-mac ? told me he had 6 of them and couldn't sell them so he chopped them up to make space , and a club in the uk the same , they had 50 of them as club guns and wanted to modernize , they chopped them up and used them as foundation filler under the new range.:(

i have a bsa international mk4 isu martini bought and hope to collect it tomorrow , i'll post some pics if i can .

So, so wrong. :mad:

I can see a lot more of this now that people are effectively restricted to three guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

kowloon wrote: »
    So, so wrong. :mad:

I can see a lot more of this now that people are effectively restricted to three guns.

Don't forget Super can require extra security at any level :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Spunk84 wrote: »

Mine is surendered to my local gun dealer for sale, if your interested in parting with some money you can have a cheap gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If I "surrender" anything I'll just give the gun to my Dad. He lives in Belgium and the only thing he needs as a firearm permit is his hunting licence. Covers him for all types of hunting firearms.

Alternatively I'll licence them in the North where common sence still rules a lot stronger in relation to firearms.

If I "surrender" anything I'll just give the gun to my Dad. He lives in Belgium and the only thing he needs as a firearm permit is his hunting licence. Covers him for all types of hunting firearms.

Alternatively I'll licence them in the North where common sence still rules a lot stronger in relation to firearms.

Dual nationality?

No dual nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

as far as I know, an application for a visitor's permit will require you to hold an Irish FAC. They're not keen on giving out Northern licences to non-residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You could join a range up there and store it as a club gun??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You could join a range up there and store it as a club gun??

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No RFD will accept my old .22 lr SA. I have tried at least 10 now. My only option is to put it in a black plastic bag and plop in on the desk of the Garda Station for destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No RFD will accept my old .22 lr SA. I have tried at least 10 now. My only option is to put it in a black plastic bag and plop in on the desk of the Garda Station for destruction.

why dont you post a picture some one might like the look of it, is this is a revolver you'd never know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

I was talking to my RFD and he's loves taken them in..!! He gives you no money just a receipt to show the Garda FAO and he plans to sell them on.
    I was in the shop to buy some amo and saw him take an SSG 69 .22-250 rifle mint with hard case scope extra mags and silencer + bipod, i was sick This is F¥<ed up...

Advertisement