Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID 0 using more than 2 drives on ASUS Rampage II Extreme Mobo

Options
  • 28-11-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

hi,

Regarding the built in Intel RAID controller on the ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard. what support is offered for striping RAID 0, how many drives are supported in this mode,

I downloaded the manual and it mentions to only 2 drives in R0 in the brief description. has anyone got this motherboard who knows the maximum number of drives that can be connected to it using RAID 0

The pictures of the board show 2 colours or grouped SATA ports, I presume 1 group for the controller and one for standard sata controller. is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Why use Raid0? The Performance gains are minimal. You're better off just getting a SSD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I want to get 4/6 SSDs and RAID them, but not if my cheap mobo controller is crippled to only support arrays of 2 drives for RAID 0 as has happened in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Spacedog wrote: »
    I want to get 4/6 SSDs and RAID them, but not if my cheap mobo controller is crippled to only support arrays of 2 drives for RAID 0 as has happened in the past.

If you really want to raid that number of drives: then you are getting a proper dedicated Raid controller.

Why would you want to use a low end POS software based built in raid controller on your mobo that leaches from your CPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Raiding ssd's doesn't give much benefit, they're already v fast. Just get one

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Raiding ssd's doesn't give much benefit, they're already v fast. Just get one

Raid 0 SSD have much better small file performance IIRC, but the newer SSDs all have pretty beefy caches now for them so it is not much of an issue.

• Advertisement

yeah, anyone have this motherboard with an answer to my question?

RAID 0, ASUS Rampage II Extreme, how many drives?

the answer was six.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

OP,

For the love of Cthulhu if your data is important to you DO NOT USE RAID 0......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

the answer was six.

So x6 SSDs then?

how many/what are you getting?

uberpixie wrote: »
    So x6 SSDs then?

how many/what are you getting?

I really really hope the OP doesn't RAID0 6 SSD.

Such a waste, though I would laugh if one died in a week :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

your going to have to spend a stupid amount of money for a setup like that.

I read article some where on raid ssds before and if i remember correctly
    you will not get much much of a performance gain if you raid more than 2 ssds

so you could hook 2 ssds up to your motherboard and in built controllor would be able to handle that fine

yes you're right, I'll get 2 coursair P64s and Raid em up, a dedicated controller means eating up PCI express lanes I'd rather keep for future proofing graphics and USB3.

Advertisement