Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constipated dog?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all. Just noticed something strange with my dog, ben. He is trying to go to the toilet in the garden, but he is whinging while he is trying to do it, is it just constipation? or should I be really worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Hi all. Just noticed something strange with my dog, ben. He is trying to go to the toilet in the garden, but he is whinging while he is trying to do it, is it just constipation? or should I be really worried?

I would suggest putting a call into the vets and explain the situation. They might recommend something from the chemist.

Put your mind at ease in a couple of minutes. I would say he could be constipated but really a checkup is your safest bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Thanks cipher, will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Easiest way to help a constipated dog is to add some tinned oily fish to his dinner - like sardines. Always does the trick for my lady who strains occasionally. Or add a spoon or two of oatbran or wheat bran to their dinner.

Could be too that his anal glands are bothering him. That might necessitate a trip to the vet. Is he scooting his bum along the ground at all, or swinging his head back and trying to nibble at his bottom?

More likely he's just constipated though - try the sardines trick first. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've used Weetabix for one of our pooches before, with water rather than milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Could be dodgy anal glands - infection or impaction. I can't tell you the number of times one of mine has been squatting and walking around the garden trying to go to the toilet and not being able to due to glands. They are on a good quality food and have their glands drained regularly but they can still turn bad very quickly. I would take your dog to the vet to make sure it is not this. Some dogs don't show any symptoms until they are in a bad way so your dog may not be scooting his bum, licking his rear or biting at his back end and there could still be something wrong.

If it turns out he is just constipated, liquid paraffin is the best stuff to flush them out. Most vets and chemists will stock it (consult your vet for dosing). I use Shredded Wheat to help bulk out my lots poo, mostly for anal gland problems but it would work just as well on constipation. Also, if your dog is constipated you may need to take a look at what you are feeding them. Supermarket brands are not good quality and can easily cause digestive upset, along with other problems. Your vet will be able to help you choose a good quality food that is in your price range - there are lots of them out there!

If this is a once off incident, there is nothing to worry about but if it becomes a regular occurrence you will need to consult your vet to make sure there is nothing else wrong with your dog. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Tell me more about your dog OP. Is he an older un-neutered male for instance? Dogs like this can suffer from problems with enlarged prostates, which can push on the colon, making it difficult for him to pass faeces. This can usually be diagnosed by a rectal examination by the vet, and is usually sorted by castration. The fall of testosterone in the body with cause the prostate to shrink back to size.
    It could also be a tumour of the prostate or many other things. Not trying to scare-monger, but it might not be as simple as constipation. A quick trip to the vets can rule this out... :)
    Hopefully its nothing serious, but get Ben to the vets for a check up to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

He is a 2 yr old neutered lab rottie x. He hasn't been scooting his bum, and he hasn't had his glands done. He seems alright today now after soaking his food in warm milk, we feed him on the husse premium plus. But will take him to the vet to make sure.

Advertisement