Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail And Shopping in Waterford

Options
  • 28-11-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

What do you think the people Say about Retail in Waterford when they come here From Wexford, Cork, Kilkenny, Clonmel? And is there Any New shops or Shopping Centres coming to Waterford? Also where do you think is the best place to Shop in the City? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I worked in a shop in city square once and people used come in and ask me for directions to the shopping centre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

At the moment the selection of stores is poor,but in general across the South East it is aswell.Imo the attraction to Kilkenny is most likely H&M even though its the smallest H&M iv ever been in.Once this retail complex is constructed and the likes of M&S,H&M,New look,Zara come to town it will reverse the decline we are seeing at the moment.I presume the CitySquare redevelopment isnt far off either as all the units have been closed that they are redeveloping! It can only get better once these start!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Baby4,Once you build this complex even if it all units are not full on opening day it will find its feet,Mc Donagh junction took 4 years before it became fully let.H&M have said they are seeking a suitable Waterford unit.New Look are in Dungarvan a small town,they would deff locate a unit in the City.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Baby4 wrote: »

Its not as simple as just saying we need Blanchardstown here. :D

No way could a population of Waterford support another Blanchardstown.

Ferrybank Shopping centre is lying idle already and its in a good spot close to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

...Ferrybank Shopping centre is lying idle already and its in a good spot close to the city.

If it was in a good spot it would not be lying idle.

BBM77 wrote: »
    If it was in a good spot it would not be lying idle.

Its in a perfect spot. Whats wrong with the location?

Its no further than Harvey Norman and that? Whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Footfall footfall footfall there is none in Ferrybank and never will be it was an idiotic position for a centre of its size it's emptiness is testament to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

It’s in a small low income suburb.

It was built on a false pretence of huge population growth in the area.

It was given planning permission for political and rates collection reasons not good planning ones.

Harvey Norman is hardly in a good spot either. At least it is on a ring road.

If it is in such a perfect spot why don’t any shops go in there and make piles of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Mayor happy with significant progress on major retail development for Waterford City
    13 May 2014 at 08:11

wrote:
    Mayor of Waterford Cllr. John Cummins has said he is delighted with confirmation received by Minister Michael Noonan that NAMA is to go to the market in the coming weeks to seek a joint venture partner to develop a major retail development in the heart of Waterford City centre.

Speaking to this newspaper Mayor Cummins confirmed that significant progress has now been made on realising a major retail development on the former 4 acre KRM site. “Since my election as Mayor I have had a number of meetings with Minister Michael Noonan on this issue and City Manager Michael Walsh and the City Planning team have met with the site project team consisting of NAMA, BKD Architects, and Bannon Retail Consultants. My latest correspondence with Minister Noonan confirmed that NAMA are now in a position to advertise for expressions of interest to proceed with the project on a joint venture basis”.

Mayor Cummins said “The revised concept designs for the KRM site and adjacent Apple Market are extremely exciting. Having been involved in the process from the beginning it has been an experience to see the plans evolve from an original concept to the final concept designs. Naturally any joint venture partner will have to input into the plans and the public will have an opportunity to engage during the planning application process”.

It is understood the proposed development comprises of 22,000 sq/m retail space broken into units ranging in size from 500 sq/m to 6,000 sq/m. It is envisaged these will be built at the same ground level of Michael Street, effectively meaning they will be concealed by rising ground levels towards Stephen Street. This opens up the potential for future expansion at the Stephen Street level which will house a City roof garden overlooking the new retail square below. The development of a 430 space car park is earmarked for the adjacent Browns Lane/John’s Lane site with a short pedestrian link bridge across New Street.

Mayor Cummins said “Waterford City Council is willing to bring significant added value to the development by upgrading the public realm in Michael Street/John’s Street and linkages to the Viking Triangle. We also plan to significantly redevelop the Apple Market and John’s Street area in conjunction with this development and create gateways into the City Centre shopping area so that you know you are entering the shopping precinct.

Asked about the potential of major retailers entering Waterford City Mayor Cummins said “The absence of many of the big multiples is the number one issue that people raise with me when talking about the city shopping experience. A review of our retail core highlighted what we already knew, that we have a serious lack of Medium Sized Units (MSU’s) to facilitate the bigger names. However a survey of target international retailers by Bannon Retail Consultants showed 83% of respondents have an interest in entering Waterford City should suitable scale units be available and the tenant mix be appropriate. This is very encouraging and bodes well for the Michael Street Development as it would provide suitable MSU’s and enable similar retailers to locate adjacent to one another which is what these retailers want because they feed off each other”.

Mayor Cummins concluded by saying “I will continue to engage with Minister Noonan and at a senior political level to progress this project for the people of Waterford and the South-East. It has the potential to transform our City Centre, is socially necessary and will remain at the top of my agenda if re-elected on May 23rd.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

He must be blessed with luck that this progress has all been made in an election year and be ready to announce so close to an election too! Hope he plans on doing the lottery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

AdMMM wrote: »
    He must be blessed with luck that this progress has all been made in an election year and be ready to announce so close to an election too! Hope he plans on doing the lottery!

You'd swear he was building the thing himself with his own bare hands.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You must be awful worried about John's election chances looking at your comments recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Haha just realised that it probably looks very Negative Nancy of me.

I just get cynical of announcements like this, where timelines behind projects appear to be politically motivated. That's not working for the electorate, that's working for yourself. It just so happens that these type of announcements do appear around election time. Don't even get me started on Labour's posters that enthusiastically list their "achievements" so far...

As for John, he'll skate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

Haha just realised that it probably looks very Negative Nancy of me.

I just get cynical of announcements like this, where timelines behind projects appear to be politically motivated. That's not working for the electorate, that's working for yourself. It just so happens that these type of announcements do appear around election time. Don't even get me started on Labour's posters that enthusiastically list their "achievements" so far...

As for John, he'll skate in.

I was canvassed by John about 6 weeks ago and he refered to this announcement and explained what he was after doing and said he was waiting on a letter from Michael Noonan and hoped to get it before the election. In fairness I've kept all the candidates leaflets and he references it in that too and that would have been printed well before election so to be fair I think he deserves to take some credit and comments like "you would swear he's building it with his own hands" are petty and typical Waterford begrudgery. I do think he'll get in too as we need young people but I don't think he'll get either of first 2 seats, most likely 3rd or 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

know of a party that's interested in purchasing the development and it wont be a JV with NAMA. the gentleman in question has said there wont be a government politician or previous government politician at any unveiling or the likes......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gardner wrote: »
    know of a party that's interested in purchasing the development and it wont be a JV with NAMA. the gentleman in question has said there wont be a government politician or previous government politician at any unveiling or the likes......

Which wouldn't be unusual but I suspect the Mayor of the time will be there.

Are you a banker?

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    It’s in a small low income suburb.

It was built on a false pretence of huge population growth in the area.

It was given planning permission for political and rates collection reasons not good planning ones.

Harvey Norman is hardly in a good spot either. At least it is on a ring road.

If it is in such a perfect spot why don’t any shops go in there and make piles of money?

I understand what your saying. Im not even saying that its an alternative to a good new development in town but surely it shouldnt be just ignored.

Shop doesnt need a lot of footfall if their the right shops. Theres retail parks all over the country that prove that.

Anyone with a business background who can explain why exactly its left closed and not just offered free or cheap for a few years to a major shop like tesco or lidl in the hope that others will follow?

"If it is in such a perfect spot why don’t any shops go in there and make piles of money?"

Thats exactly what im asking aswell. :D

I understand what your saying. Im not even saying that its an alternative to a good new development in town but surely it shouldnt be just ignored.

Shop doesnt need a lot of footfall if their the right shops. Theres retail parks all over the country that prove that.

Anyone with a business background who can explain why exactly its left closed and not just offered free or cheap for a few years to a major shop like tesco or lidl in the hope that others will follow?

"If it is in such a perfect spot why don’t any shops go in there and make piles of money?"

Thats exactly what im asking aswell. :D

Ferrybank needed a supermarket with a few ancillary shop similar to superquinn complex on the Tramore road, what they got was a large city centre development that is probably too big even for Waterford City centre.
    It is too big in the wrong place and unless a Google come along we will witness some of it being demolished in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

If there's so many shops clamouring to come to Waterford, why don't they fill up some of the spots on O'Connell St, Railway Sq, Patrick's St or any of the other loads of empty units, big and small, all over the city? I'd love to read those reports and surveys the Mayor referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Because those areas are now mostly residential.

Advertisement