Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dvi to hdmi ?

• 28-11-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭

Whats the diffrence if any between the above and hdmi to hdmi. I'm looking at a free to air box and all it has is dvi output.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For video, the only difference between HDMI and DVI is the connector. If you haven't seen them the difference is DVI is square with screw in secure fasteners whereas HDMI is flat and unsecured a la USB.

For Audio, DVI does not carry any audio signals, HDMI allows a couple of channels (wires) for audio.

Many places sell dvi <> hdmi adapters, cables and gender changers to suit your equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Sweet so if Im reading it correctly the picture is the same as a hdmi to hdmi connection. The only disadvantage it cannot carry the sound.

I have an optical output so I could use an optical cable instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Barr wrote: »
    Whats the diffrence if any between the above and hdmi to hdmi. I'm looking at a free to air box and all it has is dvi output.

i dont suppose its a dreambox by any chance?

dvi is not usually meant to carry sound but i have a dreambox DM800 with a DVI - HDMI adapter and then a HDMI-HDMI cable, and the sound is carried through somehow.

if its not a dreambox, then you'll need a DVI-HDMI adapter and then run the audio separately, as already stated!

adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Adam,

DVI can carry audio through its TMDS digital signal, that's why it's working for you with the DVI-HDMI adaptor. See Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

The same digital line in a HDMI/DVI can carry both the audio and/or video. Both are encrypted into the one digital stream and the encoding scheme is TMDS (more or less). Its just a wire at the end of the day, it doesnt care what the bits being transmitted mean.
    It really depends on the electronics in the receiving end on whether both the video and/or audio can be extracted from this encrypted stream. I've seen DVI receivers actually being able to extract audio although I'm not sure if they appear in consumer devices.

• Advertisement

big_moe wrote: »
    i dont suppose its a dreambox by any chance?

dvi is not usually meant to carry sound but i have a dreambox DM800 with a DVI - HDMI adapter and then a HDMI-HDMI cable, and the sound is carried through somehow.

if its not a dreambox, then you'll need a DVI-HDMI adapter and then run the audio separately, as already stated!

adam

It’s exactly that :) I'm shopping for a DM800 HD at the moment. It comes with a dvi to hdmi cable and I was wondering how I would get sound.

Did yours come with an adapter or did you buy it separate?

it comes with a DVI - HDMI cable that works fine but i wanted it longer so i got a DVI - hdmi adapter and then used my own HDMI cable

Did you ever try the dvi to hdmi cable without the adaptor on the dream box. I’m guessing there will be no sound without the adaptor?

no the dvi to hdmi cable in the box brings picture & sound perfectly

Advertisement