Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck on Monday. I'd say it will be a very special event this year. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck tomorrow. Should be an amazing experience. The support is going to be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Cheers guys. Great atmosphere here in the city. Sunny, and probably slightly warmer than ideal conditions, which works fine for me as I am just going out to enjoy it. The orange jackets this year are very very bright, even by my standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck Jamie! Don't pause for too long at Wellesley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

good luck

• Advertisement

Oh God, it has been so long since I updated this log. The whole month of April needs to be added here. First post will be lead up to Boston....

Week ending 6th April

Monday: 6.3 miles 49:59;
    Tue: HM pace session: 3.5 miles w/u, HM miles as follows:
    Mile 1: 6:14
    Mile 2: 6:18
    Mile 3: 6:21
    Mile 4: 6:18
    Mile 5: 6:16
    Mile 6: 6:14
    Mile 7: 6:07
    2.3 miles c/d
    HR avg 145 max 168. Total run distance: 12.8; time: 1:29:17
    Very good session

Thu: 7.4 miles; 59:27
    Sat: BHAA 4 mile Road Race at St Annes

No getting away from this place! 2 laps, mostly the same as parkrun, but an extra bit tagged on to each lap to make it 4 miles. Felt good going into this, though it seemed to be quite humid.

2 miles w/u
    4 mile race; 22:49; 19th place; HR avg 175 max 185. Our team won the overall Category A prize - delighted with that.

Felt good throughout the race and passed a lot of people on that second lap, using my good local knowledge to full effect. Finished strongly and really enjoyed the run.

Sun: 15.8 miles long run. Felt awful on this towards the end but struggled on home. 2:09:14

48.3 miles this week

Week ending 13th April

Tue: 9.15 miles; 1:12:17. Had planned a session here but wasnt feeling great so abandoned it in favour of a regular run.
    Fri: MP session run

1.4 mile w/u
    3 miles at 6:44/mi
    3 miles at 6:40/mi
    c/d 1.6 miles
    Total run 9 miles; 1:03:15; HR avg 145, max 161

Sun: 7 miles, 56:06

Total miles this week 25.15

Week ending 20th April

Mon: 6.75 miles; 54:27
    Wed: 7.1 miles; 56:54
    Fri: 3 miles easy; 26:19

16.85 miles this week, nice handy taper ahead of flight to Boston on Saturday and marathon on Monday.

I kind of entered this on a whim back in September 2013. I
    kind of half thought why not, and half thought that they would never accept my entry as the qualifier was the Tralee Marathon. Well, in short, they did accept it, and here I was in Boston. This was my second time running this magnificent race, and once again, I would be treating it as an enjoyable run, rather than a goal race. I knew I was in good shape, but this was one to relax and enjoy.

Arrived in Boston on Saturday, went for a couple of beers and food and hit the sack. Did a lot of walking on Sunday, then hit the pre-race dinner, Fenway for the baseball and then bed. Up early on Monday to meet Meno and get the bus out to the Athletes Village.

Got there with a bit of time to spare, but that flew past... after using the toilet, grabbing a coffee and bagel and just getting myself ready, there wasnt much time before we were brought out to the corrals. Its was getting hot already as we approached 10am and I was glad I wasnt gunning for a time.

Great atmosphere at the start (and throughout). Was kind of sorry I didnt go with my Ireland colours and green wig that I went with in 2011 which was a huge hit with the crowd.... but anyhow here i was, just one of the standard runners in Boston!

Off we went after the NAtional Anthem and helicopter flyover. I was in Wave 1 Corral 4 and was afraid I would get pulled along by the pace and pay for it later. Hundreds of runners streamed past me early on. I stopped early on to go for a wee specifically to slow myself down.

Felt a bit wobbly around 3-4 miles from the heat (think temps were about 21c) but thankfully that feeling went away later on and didnt come back. Found it hot out there throughout, but enjoyed all of it. Took on water at each station, a bit of gatorade here and there and 4 gels over the course of the race. Great race, great craic, cant fault it overall. The people of Boston were out in their thousands to line the route, drink beer, eat burgers and cheer us on. Wellesley gave me an earache again. The hills didnt really kill me as I just took them at a pace I felt comfortable with.

Pulled over at mile 25 to give the wonderful Mrs. Killerz ---swoon--- a kiss. The crowd went wild with delight and was filled with jealousy.

Finished well, was pretty tired pumping it down Boylston but how can you not raise your game for this epic few hundred metres, arguably the best finish of a marathon anywhere in the world.

A privilege to have been part of this great event once again.

Summary of official time: 3:16:46. Pace 7:31/mi. Garmin record as follows:
    Total 3:16:49; HR avg 153, max 174. Splits:
    7:35
    7:12
    7:14
    7:15
    7:12
    7:18
    7:14
    7:17
    7:17
    7:26
    7:27
    7:30
    7:32
    7:25
    7:44
    7:48
    7:32
    7:51
    8:05
    7:38
    7:45
    7:42
    7:57
    7:43
    1:38 for the last bit.

Splits a bit all over the place, reflective of my 'see how it goes' attitude to the day.

A great marathon, super day. Was wrecked after it. Heat took it out of me big time, but I think I raced it well, and made the most of it. Enjoyed a few beers in Faneuil Hall later on in the day before catching up briefly with DoryDory and Meno.

A little sunburnt the next day, but feeling good overall. After that it was off to Cape Cod to spend a few days in Cape Cod. A great holiday. Really enjoyable.

Week ending 27th April

Mon: Boston Marathon (as described in previous post)
    Thu: Easy 2 miler in Cape Cod; 17:35. Legs still quite stiff
    Fri: Easy 3 miler in Cape Cod, enjoyed this a little more; 26:00

31.2 miles this week.

Week ending 4th May

Mon: 5.65 jetlagged miles; 44:56
    Tue: 7.5 miles easy with 1 mile at planned HM pace (for pacing duties this coming Sunday); Total 57:24 with 1 mile at 6:44 pace.
    Thu: 6.5 miles; 52:11
    Fri: Easy 3 miler
    Sun: 1:30 Pacer, Limerick Half Marathon

Was always a little conscious of the effect of Boston on running a reasonably fast half-marathon under 2 weeks later. Thankfully my recovery had been good and I had been in good shape going into Boston. The planned pace would be c.7 mins slower than my PB, so even if felt tiring, it would be a nice challenge.

I was the only 1:30 pacer, where there were 2 for every other pace group. Added pressure. 2 watches on and ready to go. I was also armed with a whistle to rev the crowd up as we passed pockets of spectators.

Got the group going from the off, with a small bit of traffic to contend with at the start, but a decent enough sized group - maybe 10-12 starting to form by around 2 miles in. Mile markers were hard to see at times, so relied on the watch and my intuition a little. Thankfully I spotted one around 3 miles and we were pretty much bang on course. Looked out for them from then on and saw them each time.

Found the going quite humid, but the pace was fine. Group stayed together for the most part as we pushed on through. After halfway, and just after passing through the city centre for the first time (great atmosphere and support on the streets!) the group was strung out a little more, with some hills around Thomond really scattering the crew. There were a few lads and a lady (who seemed for the most part to be doing her own thing) that managed to stick with me as we counted down the miles for home.

With less than a mile to go, it was myself and 2 other lads, with others in front and behind but not directly linked to the group at this time. We rounded the last bend with plenty of time to spare, the lads sprinted for home and made very good times. A few others from the group went sub 1:30 too, so job done. Bananas in Pyjamas passed us by on the finishing straight, stealing our limelight a bit at the end.

Finished in 1:29:45. Nice race, great treatment by Limerick Marathon, Amphibian King as sponsors and Tom as pacer coordinator. Great to be part of this. Nice to meet some other boardsies before and after - both pacers and pacees and runners.

35.75 miles this week.

Week ending 11th May

Wed: 7.3 miles; 57:14
    Fri: 6.8 miles; 54:05
    Sun: 9.1 pre-Giro d'Italia miles; 1:13:56

Nice easy week, recovering after the Boston Marathon and Limerick Half Marathon. 23.2 miles total.

Week ending 18th May

Mon: 7.35 miles easy, 57:59
    Tue: BHAA Beach Race, Sandymount

Said I'd use this as a warm-up for the Calcutta Run 10k on Saturday. So anything really between 18:30 and 18:45 more or less would have been fine.

2.5 mile warmup
    3.1 mile/ 5k race - 18:14; HR avg 173, max 183

Nice evening for a run. Enjoyed the race overall, which was out and back twice along the strand at Sandymount. Hard sand for the most part which was grand, but a couple of stretches of energy-sapping soft sand to contend with towards the start and end of each lap. Nice atmosphere, nice race. Deviated from my race plan a little with about a km to go to burn off a guy who was drafting off me and would not pass.

Finished in 18:14, good enough for 19th place overall and a part of the winning team in the 'A' standard. Another nice team win, happy with that. Got my prize from Jerry Kiernan too! Some photos were taken... not sure where they ended up!

1.2 miles cool down after and then a further 3 miles run home later on.

Wed: Lunchtime 6.2 miler; 47:38
    Sat: Calcutta Run 10.3k

Had good hopes for this, target was to try and go under 37 and/or beat my placing from last year which was 6th. Warm day, run starts at 11am - things which dont work well for me.

Off we went, run course took us up to the North Circular entrance to Phoenix Park and then along that top road to the far end of Chesterfield and then down the middle and back to Blackhall place.

Got passed by a good few people at the start, but was soon making up those places despite the tough conditions. The dry air really stuck to my throat and so the water stations were a welcome relief. About 2k in, I saw the turn off for the 5k and gazed longingly at it before pressing on.

Really caught a good few between miles 5 and 8 as we went down Chesterfield Avenue. Took the last turns from home, holding on for what was ultimately 7th place overall.

Total run time: 39:10 for 10.3k. HR avg 172, max 180

Splits:
    1k: 3:40
    2 + 3k (forgot to hit split): 8:03
    4k: 3:50
    5k: 4:04
    6k: 3:57
    7k: 3:46
    8k: 4:07
    9k: 3:05 (something not right here!!??
    10k: 3:52 for a 10k time of 38:23
    10.3k: 47 secs

Splits are all over the place there and I wonder was this down to a couple of km markers being off (maybe the previous km was long?). No doubt the course was well over 10k though.

A little disappointed with my time, but I think the heat has to be taken into account. I also believe I was fatigued from the race during the week and travelling in the UK with work on Thurs and Fri. Taking that into account, it was a decent result overall.

Was pretty wrecked after this. Enjoyed the bbq after, had a couple of beers, a shower and then into town to watch the Arsenal lift the FA Cup!

Sun: Easy 4 miler.

34.35 miles total.

I'm signed up to do 5 marathons, 5 days in a row as part of the East of Ireland 10 in 10 in September. A new challenge awaits!

Killerz wrote: »
    I'm signed up to do 5 marathons, 5 days in a row as part of the East of Ireland 10 in 10 in September. A new challenge awaits!

Understatement of the year:)

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »

Haha, yes. Care to join me for any of them? Theyre local!

Killerz wrote: »

I am too young for that multi-marathon midlife crisis lark but Ferris B might be tempted.....:D

I am too young for that multi-marathon midlife crisis lark but Ferris B might be tempted.....:D

Ah yes, I neglected to take your youth into account when extending my invite. Carry on....

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Yeah sure, might even do all 10. Should be well rested then for Berlin the following week.

Killerz....this all sounds like penance for a misspent youth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How do you even train for that kind of ordeal? Do you do 5x22 milers a few weeks out? :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    How do you even train for that kind of ordeal? Do you do 5x22 milers a few weeks out? :pac:

Need to do some research into that, but will be trying to pick up a couple of marathons over the summer as training runs. I think running on tired legs will probably be the key.

Other than that, I'll be winging it. 5 x 22, sure why not!

Murph_D wrote: »

Need to do some research into that, but will be trying to pick up a couple of marathons over the summer as training runs. I think running on tired legs will probably be the key.

Other than that, I'll be winging it. 5 x 22, sure why not!

Week ending 25th May

Mon: 8.7 miles home 1:09:42
    Wed: 6 miles at lunch, no watch
    Thu: 10.75 miles home from work
    Fri: 6.2 miles into work, 51:12
    Sun: Mrs. K was going to Swords to get the 'fro styled, so I saw an opportunity, and got a lift out there, running home via a lap of Malahide Demesne. Just about to get out of the car and realised I forgot the watch... no idea how long the run would be or how fast. Off I went anyhow. Lovely weather, around 3-3:30. Ended up doing what turned out to be 10 miles, in roughly 1 hour 15 mins I think.

41.65 miles in the bank this week. Wont be focusing on speedwork this summer - idea is to build up to the marathons in September. Sure I will bang out a parkrun or BHAA race and give it socks while doing so, but I doubt there will be a PB in it.

Week ending 1st June

Mon: 8 miler home from work, 1:05:53
    Tue: 15.25 miles after work. Headed out from Baggot St to Bushy Park, following the Dodder trail down to Donnybrook, then heading out to the coast and along home. Warm enough evening, was pretty wrecked by the time I got home. 2:06:59
    Thu: 10.75 miles home from work; 1:24:09
    Fri: 6 miler into work, 50:22
    Sat: Baking hot 5 miler in the evening. Battery on watch ran out during this.

Total miles this week: 45. Not a huge week, mileage wise, but a couple of decent medium length runs in there which went well.

Week ending 8th June

Mon (bk hol): 7.75 miles easy, 1:00:47
    Tue: Oh man the torrential rain during this was absolutely awful. So cold, so wet. Rotten run. 12 miles. 1:35:32
    Fri: 6 miles into work. Garmin I think is on the blink.
    Sat: Long run incorporating Marlay parkrun. Used Mrs. Killerz garmin for this one. 20.3 miles; 2:39:24. I have previously run to Malahide Castle, done the parkrun and run back, making it about 17-18 miles including a few loops of the Demesne. I wondered could I do the same with Marlay. And yes I could. I headed out around 8:10am, making it to Marlay at about 9:25am, just in time for the start. Did the run in 19:15, good enough for 18th spot, before heading off for home again. Felt good throughout, kept plenty in reserve but finished strongly. Got pretty tired from about 18-20 miles, but made it back in one piece. A nice start to the day.
    Sun: Easy 6 miles.

A nice week's running there, with the highlight being Saturday's long run.

52.05 miles in total - very pleased with that!

• Advertisement

Okay, its been way too long since I posted on this log, and I have no intention of logging all the weeks that I have missed. I do have a spreadsheet though - so fear not, I am aware of how many miles I have done. I've been really busy - moved house in June; work has been pretty heavy going, and we are preparing for the arrival of twins in November.

As mentioned in a previous post, all of my running is focused on the 5 in 5 planned for September. I'm doing marathons 4-8 (Mon-Fri). I've been plugging away getting runs in while I can, and also doing a lot of physical work around the house etc as part of the moving process.

Some races over the past couple of months:

Le Cheile Midnight Track Marathon 21st June: 3rd place; 3:21. 95 laps of the track was tough going, but not actually as bad as I initially anticipated. Moved into the house that evening, drove out to Leixlip, did the race, back in car, home to bed, then up to do RD at St Annes on Saturday morning. A whirlwind 24 hours!

BHAA Irishtown 5k 16th July: 18 minutes flat for 11th place, 2nd place overall for our team.

EOI Roundwood Marathon, 26th July: 4th place; 3:38. Key here was running on tired legs. To prepare for this, I ran 15 miles on Thursday evening, 10 miles on Friday morning. The course was tough - 4 laps with plenty of hills. Got through it okay and was very satisfied with the time.

BHAA Dublin Fire Brigade Marino 5k, 27th July: 21st place; 18:49; 1st place for our team. Felt okay after the marathon the day before so turned up for the inaugural running of this event, which is just up the road from me. Happy I did turn up as I was the third scorer for the team, helping us to take 1st place overall.

Rock n'Roll Half Marathon 2:15 pacer, 4th August: Why not. Did a 4 mile warm-up for this and showed up on the quays in time for kick off. While the pacer gear was luminous enough as it was, I added some of my own colour and flair.... Also stuck a straw hat on and brought a whistle with me. Really enjoyed this pacing gig - great craic amongst the group. Tough enough course.

Waterstown parkrun, 16th August: Was looking to do a long run, said I'd check out Waterstown as part of it. FBOT joined me and we ran out to Waterstown (About 9 miles). Did a further mile or so while hanging around waiting for the start, did the parkrun, and ran home again. So all in all, just over 22 miles. The BOT's focused marathon training was in evidence here as he went ahead about a half a km in and I didnt catch him after that. 5th and 6th place for us on a challenging course, before we headed for home.

Time for a quick check in here again.

Continuing my training towards 5 marathons in 5 days, to commence on 15th September. It is part of the East of Ireland 10 in 10 event starting this on Friday the 12th September. The marathons are in Howth and Clontarf on alternate days (ie Clontarf on days 1,3,5,7 and 9 and Howth on the others.... I think). Each of them start at 9am, so come along and give us a cheer if you are at a loose end!

Looking forward to it now. Hope the temps will be a little cooler than recently. I'd hoped to be quite relaxed going in to them but work and home has been really busy and taxing of late so I'll probably be starting them tired... not ideal but sure them's the breaks.

In the meantime, I took the opportunity to join one of the work teams for the Grant Thornton 5k on Tuesday night. Ideal running conditions and a nice flat course helped me to a 10 second PB - 17:18. Very happy with that, considering there has been zero speed training in this training block.

Not much in the way of decent mileage so far this week, longest run has been 7 miles. Will do 10-12 miles home from work tomorrow and keep myself ticking over this week.

Heading out to the start of day 2 now, 9am start in clontarf. Yesterday's run went well. Tough going doing 4 laps of howth, but got around in 3:55 and change. Some of the lads doing the 10 in a row are really flying it.

A little bit stiff and tired this morning but no major complaints so here we go for day two. Will probably stick with the same pace as yesterday, being in the 8:50's range.

Getting set for day 3 now, parked up in howth. Tough day yesterday with the humidity but got there in the end.

Fbot and Ferris were out supporting which was a nice boost around 11 miles, and fbot later joined me for a few miles which was most welcome.

3:58 yesterday.

The 10 in 10 lads are showing some serious consistency, it really is something else.....

Day 3 went very well today in Howth. Felt the freshest so far, which was reflected in my time of 3:32. Everything just seemed to work, whereas yesterday I was struggling over the last few miles (even with FBOT's marvelous support). I just ate up the hills and actually looked forward to the climb each time I passed through Sutton Cross. Lovely cool breeze on that side of Howth was Heaven sent too.

And so on to the Battle of Clontarf again tomorrow. Looking forward to trying to better my time from yesterday, but I think the reason I like Howth is that different muscles are engaged - mixing it up, vs. Clontarf where it is the same ones all the time.

When I finish all this and get my exam out of the way on Saturday, I'll write up a detailed account of my adventures over the past few days.

Killerz over and out!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

You looked very comfortable out there today (thurs) J on number 4. Great running. Hopefully you'll stay that way and enjoy your last one in Howth tomorrow.

Ferris B wrote: »
    You looked very comfortable out there today (thurs) J on number 4. Great running. Hopefully you'll stay that way and enjoy your last one in Howth tomorrow.

Thanks C, really appreciated the support today from yourself, FBOT, marthastew and murphd. I had planned on taking things a little slower today but got giddy and put a bit of effort in. Hopefully there's something left in the tank to give it a decent lash in howth tomorrow!

On we go for day 5. On way to howth now to wrap up this 5 in a row business. Looks like a nice morning, a little bit of fog....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck. Bring it home!

• Advertisement

It's been a crazy few weeks in my life with lots going on but I have a few minutes here to put together my race(s) report from the 5 marathons in 5 consecutive days which I recently completed. Last Thursday saw the arrival of our twins - Adam and Sadie, just shy of 35 weeks. Adam is home with me here and carefully observing my report writing - he'll be asleep by the end of it, while Sadie is still in the ICU, getting some Kenyan blood into her and in an altitude incubator.

So here's the report.....

Background:

I've done a number of marathons and ultra-marathons, but the idea of going to bed, getting up the next day and going again (in terms of running marathons :pac:) had always appealed to me. The 10 in 10 held in Sixmilebridge last year appealed to me, but the timing wasnt right at that time. With the imminent arrival of twins, the timing was hardly perfect, but what did work was that the races were on my doorstep. My wife encouraged me to take it on. While it was going to be a huge undertaking, it ranked well behind other things I had going on this summer including moving house, redecorating, work and prepping for babies. In that respect, I focused on getting out for long runs when I was tired, and ran them slowly. Times were not a priority. Completing it was the priority, and completing it alongside everything else going on..... I also did a couple of marathons over the summer - the Midnight Track Marathon in June and the Roundwood Marathon in July. Each of those was on tired legs with no taper.

For the races, I would take a week off work and hope the twins stayed inside a little longer! To add to the fun, I had an exam the day after the 5 marathons were complete. The general plan for each day was: Marathon, lunch, sleep, study, dinner, study, sleep and repeat x 5.

The event was the 10 marathons in 10 days held by East of Ireland Marathons. I was to enter days 4, 5, 6, 7, 8; or Monday - Friday. Mon, Weds and Fri races were in Howth (4 laps each time) and Tue and Thu were in Clontarf (out and back twice from the Wind Monument along the prom, Bull Island and up to Sutton). So each marathon could be broken down into 4 segments. As mentioned, time wasnt a priority, but I had a secret target of Under 20 hours or under 4 per marathon.

Day 1: Monday, 15th September; Howth

After breakfast (2 x bagels and cup of tea - same each day pretty much), I arrived in Howth on Day 1 ready for the first marathon. Sunny and warm, and I chose to go without music for this one, with the idea that it would be a nice change to have some tomorrow. Met up with Ger and the crew, introduced myself and off we went at 9am. I adopted a conservative approach today, focusing on just running by feel. Water was available at the end of each lap and at the summit (about a mile and a bit before the start of each lap). I stuck with my usual clif gel raspberry, and the strategy was more or less to have one each lap. This ultimately transpired to having it at Sutton Cross each time (so maybe a mile and a half into each lap), having each time picked up a bottle of water at the start of lap. I dreaded the hills of Howth going into this, but after this experience I wont hold the same fear. I just got into it, and enjoyed the hills. The heat picked up as the day went on and I found it reasonably tough. Mentally I was wondering if I was this tired now, what would I feel like later in the week? Finished this one, had the obligatory Mars Bar, Coke and Crisps.... all of which tasted delicious. Some really fast guys out there doing all 10 marathons..... unbelievable standard.

Stats: Marathon #1 - 3:55:50. 5th place. HR avg 137 max 172. Avg pace per Garmin 8:53/mi

After: Comprehensive stretching, lunch, snooze, dinner, study, bed.

Day 2: Tuesday, 16th September; Clontarf

While the Clontarf route is very flat and in theory should be easier than Howth, I feared a little for this one due to the exposure to wind, the potential boredom of the flat route and the beach stretch. Furthermore, today was another hot one, getting more so as the day went on. Had a new set of runners ready for this, and had the music in the ears to help.

Off we went again at 9am. Water at this one was at the start/ finish area (also halfway) and out on the course around 5 miles in (Which doubled as about 7.5 miles, 18 miles and 20.5 miles or so). And I needed every drop I could get today. What was nice about this one though is you got to see all the other runners during the out and back sections. I gelled at 7, 14 and 20 miles today. Met FBOT and Ferris B at around 11 miles who were out cheering me on (and possibly holding hands I cant remember exactly) as I came off the beach and on to the wooden bridge. Great to have them out there and that helped me push on towards half way. Had some low points between 12 and 14 miles, due to heat, mental issues, tiredness and maybe the realisation I still had a long way to go... both today and over the remainder of the week. I wont lie, there were a couple of walk breaks on this one but I zipped up that mansuit and HTFU'd. Coming on to the beach with about 4 miles to go, FBOT joined me for around 3.5 miles. This really boosted me big time. I think my speed would have slipped were it not for him, and ultimately he drove me on to the target of under 4 hours.

Stats: Marathon #2 - 3:58:10. 7th place. HR avg 133 max 169. Avg pace per Garmin 8:59/mi

After: Very tired after this one. Went home had a good sleep and got ready to battle another day.

Day 3: Wednesday, 17th September; Howth

Felt a little twinge on my right heel during the first half mile for this one, but that went away and I started to feel very good early on. Ate up the hills today. Suddenly everything had changed. It was a little cooler, and I was on hump day. I worried had I ran the first two laps too fast but no, I was able to maintain a solid pace and finish strongly. 60% done! Overall I felt fresher during and after this than I did on Monday. Have I found my niche? I think the change in muscles being used on a bumpy course worked well, rather than the same plod on the flat which tired out the same muscles.... if that makes any sense at all.

Stats: Marathon #3 - 3:32:30. 3rd place. HR avg 140 max 185. Avg pace per Garmin 8:01/mi.

After: In great form after this. Tired of course, but confident I would get to the finish, and maybe speed up a bit too. Bring on tomorrow!

Day 4: Thursday, 18th September; Clontarf

A few nerves about this one after the great form in Howth yesterday. Did I push it too fast in Howth? Well, no it would seem. Went out at a reasonable pace - saluted MurphD who was out supporting - and kept myself in touch with 2nd and 3rd place as we came off Bull Island. A quick toilet break and I again caught 2nd, 3rd and 4th) who were running together and I tried to break free of them as we went to the turnaround on lap one (just over 6.5 miles). I thought I had shaken them but they caught me there and we ran on together back towards Bull Island. As we hit the beach I was with 2nd place guy but shook him off as I came up on to the pier and back to the wooden bridge. Felt good, but it was still only 11 miles in. Ferris and FBOT were there again cheering, this time at 13 miles which gave me a super boost as I turned around for the second half of the race. I could see my distance from 3rd 4th and 5th at this stage and there was a bit of a gap developing so I pushed on to increase it. I might point out at this stage that these guys were doing all 10 so let's be honest here, these guys were running a superb race. There was no chance of catching 1st - Brian O'Kelly ultimately won 9 of the 10 races and I think they were all sub 3:20. That is just outstanding. Stupendous.

Anyhow, I held on to the second spot. Met Marthastew with her mobile buffet on her bike on my way out to Bull Island. Coming off Bull Island, FBOT joined me for a few miles and I was happy to inject a bit of pace here as I was feeling good - I'm not entirely sure FBOT was happy to do likewise vis-a-vis pace but he stuck with me and kept me honest. A strong finish, coming in 2nd place - 3:31:25.

Off for some coffee and crumpets before heading home. Tomorrow would be the last day and I was a little sad about that!

Stats: Marathon #4 - 3:31:25. 2nd place. HR avg 136 max 177. Avg pace per Garmin 7:59/mi.

Day 5: Friday, 19th September; Howth

And so the final day came around. I wished I could have made the Saturday and Sunday races but due to the exam on the Saturday and a christening on the Sunday, it just was not possible. And maybe that was a good thing - end on a high and all that.

Anyhow, off we went again at 9am for my last 26.2 of the week and my last 4 laps of Howth. Marathon #24 in my lifetime. Nice cool temps, even a bit of rain for this one. First two laps went according to plan and I hoped I might make this one inside 3:30. As I finished the 3rd lap and moved on to #4 I passed Mrs. Killerz and Mommy Killerz having tea and cake at a nearby cafe. Was feeling a bit wobbly at this stage but hoped I could keep on pace and finish up nicely. Picked up some more water on course and kicked on up those hills for the final time before giving it a fair lash going down the hill and into Howth village to finish. Happy days!

Stats: Marathon #5 - 3:27:00. 3rd place. HR avg 142 max 181. Avg pace per Garmin 7:51/mi.

And so that was it! Didnt bother stretching or anything after that. Why bother!? Probably suffer tomorrow but so what.... Off to The Bloody Stream for some fish and chips but had to hold of on pints due to tomorrow's exam.

What a week. Great craic - met some great people, had some great support - most notably from the wonderful Mrs. Killerz who put up with me for a week and the weekend before which was a fun-filled experience.

131 miles in 18:24:55.

What did I eat/ drink in the evenings? Burritos, spaghetti bolognese, pizza, beef stir fry. Sandwiches, biscuits, diaoralytes, lucozade sport, milk.

Thanks to DBRC and EOI Marathons for the opportunity to participate in the event. This wont be my last EOI experience and I would encourage runners to try their events.

Advertisement