Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Between Ray Lanigan running the guts of 200 mile weeks after the arrival of a new born and you running 4.51 :eek: for the mile after the arrival of twins, there must be something in this fatherhood. It's practically cheating :D

That's some chunk under the 5 minutes. You'll have to give the track a go over the summer. Serious pedigree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Between Ray Lanigan running the guts of 200 mile weeks after the arrival of a new born and you running 4.51 :eek: for the mile after the arrival of twins, there must be something in this fatherhood. It's practically cheating :D

That's some chunk under the 5 minutes. You'll have to give the track a go over the summer. Serious pedigree there.

Is it BECAUSE of the twins or DESPITE having twins though that I am recording these times :D ??

Killerz wrote: »
    Is it BECAUSE of the twins or DESPITE having twins though that I am recording these times :D ??

....I like to think because. I feel better about it that way.

Cause and effect like.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Really well done! I didn't realise it was a PB - I thought 5.05 was the last mile you'd run, rather than your previous PB. Fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great running J... at least Gemma doesn't have to worry about what you're up to while she's away :D

• Advertisement

Time for a quick catchup:

Did the Raheny Mile per my previous update, then went down to Limerick for Easter weekend and decided to do:

Clarisford parkrun, 4th April 2015

Wife's family home is in Murroe, outside Limerick city. I decided to combine my trip down with some parkrun tourism, and head along to this event in Killaloe, about a 20 minute drive away. The legs still felt a bit sore after the mile race on Wednesday so I was wondering what kind of effort I may be able to put in. Had a quick chat with the organisers to get a feel for the course (which is effectively 5 laps), and to introduce myself given our common parkrun interests :)

Wife and twins were here along with niece-in-law, and given the nature of the course, they could watch the entire event from one vantage point which was neat. 49 runners were off at 9:30 and I settled in with two lads up the front and the pace felt okay. After one lap, it was just me and the other guy and we just kept in step. The laps are relatively flat, but with a little bit of a climb towards the end of each one, which starts to hurt towards the end!

Anyhow, the laps ticked by and we lapped a few other participants. I was comfortable enough but any time I went in front I slowed it down as I felt I would have a sufficient kick at the end if I needed it, and really didnt want to be pushing too hard - I was being a bit lazy. My times at the front were limited though as the other guy kept going back there. I was fine with that.

And on we went ticking off the laps. It was going to come down to lap 5 - with about 400m to go or so, on a downhill, he slowed up. I took the opportunity to pass and step on the gas, not looking back. Steamed up the hill one last time and round the corner to finish. Delighted with that - 17:43, ahead of second place by 13 seconds in the end. Had a nice chat with 2nd place guy afterwards - seems we know a lot of the same people - and he has got his rewards - with first place finishes twice since that day.

Stats:
    5km; 17:43; HR avg 175, max 188; pace 5:43/mile; 1st place out of 49 finishers

St. Anne's parkrun, 25th April

Ran this in awful conditions with the double buggy yesterday. Enjoyed it all the same. Tried to catch FBOT in his wonderful luminous orange tee, but to no avail :cool:

My 25th parkrun, Sadie and Adam's second parkrun. 20:52, good for 30th place, and a significant buggy PB vs. two months ago where we got 22:44. Buggy is caked with mud and is going to take some amount of cleaning!

Training:

Wings for Life up next this coming Sunday. Training as always has been sporadic, topping out at a maximum of 40ish mile per week, but often with as little as <20 miles per week. So, I feel endurance will be the big question for Sunday. General weather, but especially prevailing wind will play a major factor given the course only travels more or less in one direction.

Last decent run was Monday eve, with 10 miles done in <70 mins, followed by 6 miles around 7:30ish pace on Tues morning, then 6 miles at sub 7 pace on Tues lunchtime.

Plan for Sunday is to try run at 7 minute pace and see how I fare. If I can sustain that indefinitely, catcher car would get me soon after marathon distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck with the Wings For Life. I'm betting you'll get most of the way to Wexford. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck with the Wings For Life. I'm betting you'll get most of the way to Wexford. ;)

Cheers Murph... lovely conditions for it!!! Oh, and I wouldn't be placing that bet if I were you - unless you want to lose money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck, today. Might see you over there.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck, today. Might see you over there.

You running?

• Advertisement

This sounded like a pretty cool concept. It was always going to be this or the Limerick Marathon this weekend. When I signed up for it, I thought I would get some decent long runs in ahead of the main event. But I didn't. I have had two runs of 13 miles or more this year - the Lusk HM back in Feb, and a 14 miler in late March. Plan was to go out at c.7 min miles and target a marathon, which would have to be done in 3:08 by the time the car caught me. I had no scientific basis for targetting this - just a notion in my head.

Conditions looked awful on Saturday as the 4 Killerz trekked out to MarthaStewBinteely parkrun to let Mrs. Killerz off the leash for a few miles, which she executed with suitable aplomb. Briefly caught up with MS, Digger, CL and Meno after before heading off to Dun L to pick up the race number for Sunday. At that stage, I was not looking forward to battling the winds and rain for miles on end on Sunday.

Thankfully Sunday was a cracker, weather-wise. Not much wind, and decent temps. Luckily I brought shades and a buff with me given the sun. Caught up with a few heads pre-run and off we went at 12pm. Settled into a rhythm pretty quickly after a reasonably clean start.

The course was tough from the outset, but the crowd support and general atmosphere was fun. Was running with CL, who was lead woman at that time - a spot she retained through to the end... as we went around Vico Road, and down into Killiney, before proceeding to Shankill. At that stage, a group of four of us left the lead lady behind and hit a steady pace onwards towards Bray seafront.

Felt the heat a bit going through Bray and dialled the pace down a bit when we turned right and up a long drag out of the town. The drags seemed to continue, with very little downhill - or so it seemed. The water stations were a little hard to predict - sometimes you would only have a 2 or 3k gap - other times it could be at least 5k. If it was in bottles that would be okay, but cups made it that bit more difficult. I've no issues with cups, but you need to have regular, predictable water stations if using them.

Was still feeling strong passing the half marathon mark, but was into the unknown in terms of endurance at this stage. I knew I had the experience in the legs and the mind, but that was a distant memory to be fair. Also found the gels weren't going down too well. But still doing okay.

I remember seeing the 30k sign with a 'Congratulations, you have reached 30k' or something to that effect. 30k would have been a good achievement, and I was starting to really feel it at this stage... I knew now that a sub 3:08 marathon (ie achieving marathon distance) was highly unlikely - cramps, stitches, tiredness and general apathy were getting to me. But I powered on, couple of lads passed me between 30 and 35k, and I was delighted to see the 35k water station. Stopped there for a bit, took on some water and red bull before getting moving again. Anything from this point onwards was a bonus... And so 36k came, then 37k, and 38k and before I knew it I was in Rathnew.

At this stage my legs (and arms) were cramping. The hilly profile of the course, the heat of the day and my general lack of endurance were coming back to haunt me! Through Rathnew and the warning car came to well... warn me that the catcher car was coming. I picked up some water at the water station and moved onwards.... Turned right after the 39k marker and up another hill. Moved very slowly up that hill and turned around to see the fanfare of the lead woman behind me and the catcher car hot on her tail. They got caught and I knew I was doomed. Summoned up a bit of a sprint but was caught at 39.8k.... absolutely wrecked.

On to the sweeper bus where I spent the next 2 hours in the company of the top 10 finishers (we had to follow the course and pick up all those who finished ahead of me, including the winner at 52k) and a crate of red bull, water and bananas. Not ideal but something. Back to Dun L by 5pm, into the car and home.

7th place in the Irish run and 666th worldwide.
    24.68 miles, 3:00:55, avg pace 7:19/mi.
    HR avg 166, max 185.

Mile splits (vary considerably due to course profile, and later on, fatigue):
    6:52
    6:43
    7:28
    6:30
    6:51
    6:44
    6:33
    6:36
    6:56
    7:36
    7:37
    6:42
    7:08
    6:59
    7:22
    6:58
    7:09
    7:17
    7:44
    7:38
    7:53
    8:15
    8:20
    9:19
    5:43 (0.68 of a mile)

Really enjoyed the event and I think this will be huge next year.

What next? Given the course profile and my sporadic training over the past few months, that's given me the confidence for a shot at a marathon later on in the summer. Thinking Longford, with a half marathon maybe in mid to late July.

It's so gimmicky that it makes me feel bad for liking the concept. I even watched a bit of it on the d'telly. The most impressive thing was how the commentators rambled on at the start when there was essentially nothing going on. The cars hadn't even started yet

That's some running off essentially no long distance training. If I were you, I'd stay away from the marathon ;). You've shown some pedigree at the shorter distance road races recently.

It's so gimmicky that it makes me feel bad for liking the concept. I even watched a bit of it on the d'telly. The most impressive thing was how the commentators rambled on at the start when there was essentially nothing going on. The cars hadn't even started yet

That's some running off essentially no long distance training. If I were you, I'd stay away from the marathon ;). You've shown some pedigree at the shorter distance road races recently.

Cheers KU - really like the short stuff, but I'm passionate about the longer stuff.... Decisions, decisions :)

Killerz wrote: »
    Cheers KU - really like the short stuff, but I'm passionate about the longer stuff.... Decisions, decisions :)

Ah yea, you got to do what you are passionate about first and foremost. It will be interesting to see how your shorter distance gains translate in to the marathon too.

Ah yea, you got to do what you are passionate about first and foremost. It will be interesting to see how your shorter distance gains translate in to the marathon too.

It's also possible that I will change my mind completely over the coming weeks.... :rolleyes:

:eek: 666?

Well done J. Nice to get the plus-3:00:00, and a good chunk of Wicklow. :)

Red Bull though? Jayziz.

:eek: 666?

Well done J. Nice to get the plus-3:00:00, and a good chunk of Wicklow. :)

Red Bull though? Jayziz.

Cheers!

Given the sponsor of the event, red bull was the only energy drink available... needed something different at 35k... not sure if it helped, hindered or otherwise!

Did the Calcutta Run there on Saturday - good group from work were running. Had a work night out on the Thursday which was a little later than planned so that defo took it out of me - along with the residual tiredness from the Wings for Life a couple of weeks ago.

Managed a 37:00 chip time for a course that is (for some reason) either 10.2km or 10.3km (they do have a timer car at the 10km mark so you can remember your time from then. So some time around 36:30 is a fair result for 10km all things considering and sets me up to take a bash at the 35s later in the summer - maybe at the Fingal 10k.

2 weeks off work now, so happy days.

I'm down for pacing the Clontarf Half 1:30 group so that will keep me honest for the next few weeks!

Enjoying a nice break from work and have managed to squeeze a few runs in too. Did 10k with the twins last thurs along the seafront to Sutton and back, 48 mins. Tough going - it's the longest I've ever done with the buggy (still the normal buggy, we haven't stepped up to the running one yet) and found it challenging into the wind on the way back.

Down in Sneem, Kerry this week, and am getting in a few runs on the trails along the Kerry way and in parknasilla (no buggy!). Very enjoyable, but quite technical in places.

Regular buggy? You'll have to get yourself one of these

• Advertisement

Regular buggy? You'll have to get yourself one of these

Wow - monster truck style! Yes, I'll have one of those please!

Tipping away with the training. Got an opp to head down to St Anne's parkrun on Saturday to run and then scan, with the run being overseen by FBOT who handled over 320 runners (lucky runners!) with the usual high standards we've come to know and love. Mrs Mc was on-site and had a quick chat with Ferris b and Murph.

Was suffering a bit from a few beers the night before but held things together and ran a 17:33 for 4th place. Of critical importance was that I didn't get chicked, unlike Saturday's RD :)

Time for a catch up... Some highlights of the last few weeks:

Trinity Track Races 10th June

This was my first ever BHAA race back in June 2013 and would be my first one of 2015. Cracking sunny evening for racing, the place was thronged with students out drinking tasty beer outside the Pav. We (Bank of Ireland) had a male and female team (3 each) out for the 1200m and 2000m events. My score only counted for the 2000m, but my entry fee covered both races, with about an hour in between - so why not!?

I'm a Standard 7, so the way the categorisation worked had me in a race with categories 1-7 (1 being the highest possible). Great... may well finish last! Anyhow, 3:45 for the 1,200m; 16th of 18 runners.

An hour later I toed the line for the 2000m. This race included me getting into a bit of a scrap with a pretty irate runner on one of the bends about halfway through. But we made peace after so no big deal, but we could both have ended up on our arses if our balance hadnt held out. 6:25 for the 2000m race and 6th out of 8 on this one (winner did 6:01).

Our combined time scores were good enough to take first team prize overall on the night in the male category and the female team also took same. Left the venue with a lot of Trinity merchandise as prizes! A great evening's running, and nice to get back to winning ways, BHAA style.

Le Cheile Midnight Track Marathon, Friday night midnight/ Saturday morning, 19th/ 20th June.

This would be some people's idea of hell. 95 laps (lane 7 and 8) of a running track, at midnight. Did it last year and quite enjoyed it, finishing 3rd overall. It was an important part of my training for the 5 marathons in a row in September. Decided to go back and do this again this year, and join 49 others for this magical race.

Training has been limited due to family commitments, with longest run of 10 miles since Wings for Life (40k covered) on May Bank Holiday weekend. That itself was way outside what I thought was my endurance capacity at that time.

How would this go? Well, off I went at midnight. And it went well, finishing in just over 3 hours and 5 minutes and winning it. Winning margin was about a minute and a half, and I had a split of about 1:34/ 1:31, so a very solid performance. Felt good throughout. Took on gels at 20, 40, 57 and 75 laps. Humid night but conditions reasonable. Delighted with the win. Was also presented with a bronze medal from Marathon Club Ireland to commemorate my 25th marathon.... I've come a long way since DCM 2008!

Delighted with that.

BHAA Phoenix Park 5km Trail Race, Tuesday 23rd June

Stepped up to the plate for this one not knowing what kind of shape I'd be in, having not run since the marathon. We had 18 runners from BOI out for this one, with some fast guys in the mix so wasn't sure if I would make it in to one of the scoring teams for the bank given the tired legs. The course was comprised of 2 laps of what is more a dry cross country route than a trail if I were to be technical about it!

Lovely evening for running again and the park was looking magnificent. Started well and felt good. Got into a rhythm and sped up nicely. Kept going well and wondered when the legs might seize up. But they didnt, and I held on for 11th place and 17:27. I was second scorer for BOI, helping us to overall first place again (we took 4th, 11th and 12th individual spots to win the 'A' category). It was a super evening for the bank's teams, scooping 21 prizes between team awards and individual prizes on the night. Nice event again, my second time doing it and always fun to have the tea, brack and chats after these BHAA races.

Surprised that I had that speed after the weekend's exertions, but very happy with the race and bodes well for the next training block.

Pacing Clontarf Half 1:30 group this Saturday, before knuckling down to train for Longford Half, and keep the endurance up for 3:30 DCM pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Well aren't you the speedie one recently.

That's a super time in the Le Cheile considering your training, or lack of it.

Well done.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Well aren't you the speedie one recently.

That's a super time in the Le Cheile considering your training, or lack of it.

Well done.

Cheers CK, was very happy with it.... Thing is, I don't know if I am benefiting from not doing the long miles and hard weeks, or would I do better... I'm typically getting in 25-35 mpw. Tough call!

Very impressive, J. Congrats. Nice to
    Meet Mrs K yesterday too. You finally let her out if the house, I see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

A few highlights huh?? He says casually. Impressive is right.

Wow, that's some spread of distances and great times in each to boot. I actually don't know how you do it. Super impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great stuff Jamie.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil guys.... just enjoying the running at the moment. And Murph, yes, I felt she deserved day release for good behaviour over the past few months :) Great she got to catch up with all of you on Saturday.

Advertisement