Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    You were so fast that you didn't hear for they are jolly good fellows too !!!! Happy birthday twins :)

Agh I should have turned around and stuck with ye for a while then! You all set for DCM? Did you have a good run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Killerz wrote: »
    Agh I should have turned around and stuck with ye for a while then! You all set for DCM? Did you have a good run?

Yeah that was the longest so had some of my St Anne's park run relay team out with me at different stages for support 22 miles done so was delighted with that milestone done.

Yeah that was the longest so had some of my St Anne's park run relay team out with me at different stages for support 22 miles done so was delighted with that milestone done.

Fair play, great to get a 22 miler in, confidence booster and allows for recovery time for the marathon too.

Can't believe how long it has been since I posted here, although I should believe it as I keep taking huge breaks between posts. Since that last post I paced Dublin 3:30 group which seemed to go smoothly enough despite losing my balloon soon after halfway. Great craic with Don and Chris on the way around and delicious pints after. I was delighted to see so many people from St. Anne's parkrun running on the day - for some, it was their first time doing a marathon - well done to you all!

Paced Clontarf Half 1:40 group in late November - nice day for running and myself and Gijima had a decent sized group with us, although they had all gone ahead with about 4-500m to go and we looked around and there was no-one behind us! Job well done I suppose, but felt a bit weird just running in over the finish line with no one around us.

Myself and the family descended upon Clonakilty for the marathon this weekend. Unfortunately it fell victim to this Desmond business, so no running for me. Weather was absolute pants so I didnt get out for a run at all. We stayed on site in Clonakilty for a few days and had a nice break anyhow. Disappointed as was looking forward to rounding off the year and heading into the party season with another marathon under the belt, but safety first I suppose and that's the main thing.

The next thing I am signed up for is Donadea 50k in mid-Feb, though it is likely I will do something else in between, possibly Raheny 5 at end of Jan. Going to try and keep some discipline in my running, amidst all the joys, tantrums and hangovers the next few weeks will no doubt throw at me.

Got back from Clonakilty on Monday afternoon and headed out for 6 miles. Didnt feel great. The fry in the morning, the curry chips at lunch, and the fact that i was a bit fluey certainly didnt help, but the run was grand overall.

Out for 7 miles at lunchtime from work on Wednesday. Nice run on my usual route from Mespil down through Londonbridge Road, out to coast, Irishtown Reserve to the South Wall and back again. Still fluey.

Thursday another 7 miles, this time keeping the pace a bit brisker. Dont have my watch here to re-check but think it was around 7:15/7:20 average per mile pace. Starting to shake off the flu, although headed out for work beers at 4 o'clock and didnt get home til nearly 1. :eek: so that wont really have helped things.

Rest day today and will try get out for a few miles on Saturday and or Sunday evening. Will try get back to more of a usual week next week training-wise, and need to bed down my 50k training plan. I feel having done DCM I have a good base for Donadea training, but I need to get some speed back that I had in Spring of this year. I think my main focus will be on multiple runs per day rather than single long runs due to time constraints, and will try and keep the pace up. Have never done a triple session (morning - lunch - evening run) before but might try that as part of my plan.

I'm still not in the kind of place where I can have a really dedicated standard marathon plan as I need to be very flexible and the races really do take a back seat to the other things going on in life!

• Advertisement

Out for a couple of short runs over the weekend - 6 and 5 miles on Saturday and Sunday respectively, followed by 9 miles home from work on Monday and 5 miles back into work today.

There's a lunchtime 3k on in Trinners tomorrow lunchtime so I'm going to go down and do that for the craic.

Will endeavour to get in a lunchtime run on Thurs ahead of a work do on Thurs night and all going well will run in to work on Friday. RD at St Annes on Saturday and hopefully will get a couple of evening runs in again. Struggling to get longer distance in at the moment though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I saw you zooming down your road on Sunday night as I finished my post-journey-home-from-Loop-Head 10-miler. You were flying!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I saw you zooming down your road on Sunday night as I finished my post-journey-home-from-Loop-Head 10-miler. You were flying!

Haha I really can't do anything incognito :) Fair play on getting the 10 miler in after a weekend away - that's dedication!

Tipping away this week in between shopping, beer and work.

9 miler home on Monday: 9.19 miles 1:11:06/ 7:43/mi

4.8 miles into work Tuesday - felt very tired doing this. 39:52; 8:19/mi

Wednesday: Reindeer Run 3k at lunchtime in Trinity. Someone at work sent a flyer around about this so I said I'd give it a go. 2.5 mile warm up/ trip down from work. 3k run around Trinity was tough - it was a starting spur + 3 laps around the cricket ground, pav and rugby pitch - all was on tarmac/ path except maybe 50metres per lap on bark/ woodchip ground. Bumped into a lad from Raheny Shamrocks before the race and he said he was similar pace for a 5k as myself (albeit it has been a while since I've run sub17!). We said we'd give it a lash. He was out like a shot though and I was behind by the start of the the 3 laps and never caught him after that.

Found it tough, finished in 2nd place and 9:40 was the time I was given (9:41 on the Garmin which was useless given the tall buildings). Avg HR 171, max 180 which surprised me when I looked back at it as it felt much harder than that. Enjoyable outing in the end before a further 1.24 mile run back to work.

Actually I think that's one of the '10 Round Numbers' target - have nailed 6 of those now so happy days there.

Thursday got out for a lunchtime run 6.3 miles @7:18/mi.

--- then out for work beers that night --- :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Friday morning ran into work, no Garmin with me but the route I took is about 5 miles.

Saturday RD duty at St. Anne's where we saw some great boards performances. Hopefully get out for a few miles tomorrow (Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Had a feeling you wouldn't be rocking up for an easy run. 2nd? Nice. What were the chances the Raheny guy would be on campus too? Unlucky. :pac:

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Had a feeling you wouldn't be rocking up for an easy run. 2nd? Nice. What were the chances the Raheny guy would be on campus too? Unlucky. :pac:

Thanks D, yep I wanted a good workout and I got it! I didn't really mind that the raheny guy was there, I'm just happy I gave it a good lash and a respectable time.

Happy New Year all. Hope to run/ race/ parkrun with you in 2016.

Rounded off the year with a 5 miler this eve. Time for a Chinese now and then a few fireside beers.

This is quite long-winded but hope it captures the essence of the year I’ve had….

Too often (or maybe not too often as I don’t log enough) I put stuff down into this log but never really look back and reflect on what’s gone before. I’ve been running since 2008… away from what or towards what, I’m not too sure :pac: . Each and every year I’ve been fortunate enough to see progress in some or most aspects of my running and have been lucky enough to participate in a number of great events across three different countries (Ireland, USA and Canada given I lived in the latter for 3 years from 2010-2012). Running has also been good for my head, helping me deal with difficult and challenging times over the years at work, at home and just generally keeping me in a good headspace over that time. I’ve had the opportunity to give something back too – through parkrun, pacing races and helping out friends, family and colleagues in trying to achieve some of their running goals along the way.

Following the birth of my baby twins in late 2014, I figured that any bit of running I could manage in 2015 would be enough to keep me ticking over. No particular goals, no long-time advance sign up for races, try to get out at lunchtimes for runs, and run in or out of work a few days. Saturday morning 20 milers followed by Sunday morning 10 milers in general wouldn’t really be a goer – not only would that be 3 hours out, but trying to deal with twins after that when all I generally want to do is lie down and watch tv and eat didn’t really appeal!

With that in mind, I began 2015 with a view that running was to be pushed down the priority chart. I knew that I would keep some element of it going as I needed it for headspace and to keep myself fit, but I would fit those runs in where I could and races would be picked and chosen depending on their convenience. I'd keep an open mind on the situation and adapt as needed once we all got into a routine that worked. Generally speaking over the course of the year, my running week was as follows:

Monday: Run home from work (this is a minimum 4.5 miles, but I usually make it 5-7 miles, and occasionally 8-10 miles depending on pressing needs at home, and what time I get out of work at);
    Tuesday: Run into work; run lunchtime (6 miles lunch)
    Weds: Run lunchtime
    Thurs: Run home
    Fri: Run into work
    Sat & Sun: No particular running plans, unless I have a race or a parkrun

Runs might be dropped or rearranged depending on travel with work, days off etc.

First Half of Year:

It was a bit of a surprise then when I scooped a new PB by almost a minute in the Raheny 5 in late January, finishing in 28:12. This was followed by a half marathon PB of 1:21 and win at the EOI Lusk race in late February. While I did do some half marathon pace runs for this, my longest run was 10 miles. March brought some more success, recording a 5k PB of 17:09 and first place finish in parkrun, then a week later 16:58 at the St. Patrick’s 5k in Dublin. The streak continued into April, with a 4:51 mile in Raheny on 1st April (2nd place) and a first place finish in Clarisford parkrun a few days later.

I entered the Wings for Life in May, with the hope that I might get to marathon distance. That was hope more than expectation as the longest training run I got in for this was 14 miles, and that was in late March. The event went really well for me, and I finished in 7th place, recording c.39k on what I thought was a very challenging course. I was delighted with that, and figure I will give it a go again in 2016.

June brought the start of the BHAA season and a chance to get involved with the Bank of Ireland team for some shorter events over the summer. I only got to race three events this Summer – Trinity track, Phoenix Park Trail 5k and DCC Irishtown 5k but happy to say our team won each one outright – we have a couple of particularly strong team members so I was happy to be dragged along :D . Late June brought the Le Cheile Midnight Track marathon – my second time doing this, and was delighted to win this in 3:05.

Second Half of Year:

I signed up late to do a double marathon in August, part of the EOI Marathons festival of running. One marathon at 6am in the morning, one at 2pm in the afternoon. While I did finish first in each one of these, what mattered more to me was the times recorded (3:37 and 3:41 on a very tough course), the recovery and ability to run again, doing 52 miles off very low volume training. Late August brought the Tullamore Half Marathon where I was targeting a sub 1:23 in order to get a New York Marathon qualifying time. On a warm day, I managed to get 1:22:18 and achieve that time, albeit I probably will not now travel to NY in 2016. A few days later, our team scooped 5th place in the Grant Thornton 5k. I recorded a time of 16:44 – there are questions about the accuracy of the course length… I don’t know the answer to those questions, but either way, I would consider the time to be satisfactory just 3 days after running the Tullamore HM.

I was due to do the Clonakilty Marathon in December to close off the year but unfortunately that got cancelled. Recorded a 9:41 in a 3k race in Trinity in early December which was my last race of 2016 save for a parkrun on Stephen's Day which of course is not a race (17:50; 4th place :p ).

Pacing wise, I did the Clontarf Half in July (1:30) and November (1:40); the Race Series Half in September (1:40) and DCM in October (3:30). Enjoyed all of these in different ways.

I also took the opportunity during the year to take the babies out for a few runs. Longest run was 16 miles; fastest run was an 18:55 with the double buggy at parkrun in October. They seem to enjoy the runs, and it is something I hope to develop in late Spring and Summer 2016.

Training:

So what worked? With 1,597 miles recorded in total over the year, it is a reasonably low mileage year compared with the two previous. I averaged 30 miles per week so probably benefited from that, keeping me fresh going into races. Long runs were kept to a minimum over the year, however one of the key sessions I did was an overnight triple. So I would run home from work, run into work the next morning and also run lunchtime that day. Typically that would amount to c.20 miles over c.18 hours. I’d do that once per week – not every week, really depended on my plans etc. I think it gave me the benefit of endurance training but also allowing some recovery.

Otherwise, I would generally be quite active after races and runs due to child responsibilities therefore not lying about and getting stiff.

I would also push myself to run a bit faster to get home quicker and make the most of the time on my feet… I noticed my average paces reducing in most training runs.

All in all, it was a year that brought a lot of unexpected gains, especially on shorter distances, with PBs in 1 mile, 3k, 5k, 5 mile and HM. First on the agenda for 2016 is the Donadea 50k in Feb. While I would love to better my time from 2014 (3:46), it might be a bit ambitious to think that I can.

However, I will seek to push on from 2015 and continue the methods employed over the course of the year and hope they serve me well into the New Year. That all said, running will continue to sit in behind other priorities... BUT I think it is possible to continue to do it even with busy family and work life, just sometimes some things need to be adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

That was a disgustingly good return for your limited training investment.

Well done.

More babies required now to really test you.

Ferris B wrote: »
    That was a disgustingly good return for your limited training investment.

Well done.

More babies required now to really test you.

Thanks Ferris. But there will be no more babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

After all that you're going to waste the NY qualifier? Boo. Take the kids!

Great year, you're onto something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

What a year Jamie a great read on all your achievements well done.

Murph_D wrote: »
    After all that you're going to waste the NY qualifier? Boo. Take the kids!

Great year, you're onto something.

Thanks Murph. Re NY, its back to the 'priorities' thing for the year. Some other time hopefully.
    What a year Jamie a great read on all your achievements well done.

Cheers A. No slouch over 2015 yourself!

Promised I would log a little more in 2016

Week ending 27th December:

Mon: 6.09 miles home from work; 47:20; 7:47/mi
    Tue: 6.7 miles into work; 54:09; 8:04/mi - very tired doing this after drinking beers with the neighbours until 12:30am
    Weds: Quiet day in lunch so went out for a 9 mile lunch run - 1:07:04; 7:27/mi. Again tired as was out with the lads the night before, but got the last DART home thankfully!
    Sat (Stephen's Day): St. Anne's parkrun
    1.25 mile warmup @7:55/mi; HR avg 139, max 152
    parkrun - 4th place. Felt a bit sick during this as a result of too much food. Had my own battle with 5th and 6th place finishers but maintained my spot, finishing in 17:50. 5:49/mi; HR avg 170; max 181.
    1.25 cool down@ 8:24/mi; HR avg 134; max 143

Nice to see so many out for this (200 or so).

27.4 miles total this week. Decent enough return for the week that was in it.

Week ending 3rd January:

Down in Limerick for a few days.

Mon: 7.04 miles - 51:16; 7:18/mi
    Tue: 8 miles - 55:33; 6.57/mi. Nice session with a bit of pace built in

Back up to Dublin again...

Thu (NY Eve): 5.31 miles - 40:48; 7:42/mi
    Sat: St. Anne's parkrun - 19:31, 7th place. Just went out and enjoyed this one.
    Sun: 7.22 miles - 56:35; 7:50/mi

30.7 miles for the week, ahead of back to work the next day!

• Advertisement

Back to work this week after a nice Christmas break. Happy to dive right back in to some training though.

Mon: 6.9 miles home from work; 53:51; 7:48/mi
    Tue Morn: 7.2 miles into work; 58:19; 8:03/mi
    Tue Lunchtime: 6 miles; 44:10; 7:21/mi
    Wed Lunchtime: 5.8 miles; 41:16; 7:08/mi
    Thurs: 7 miles home from work; 54:32; 7:47/mi
    Fri: 5.3 miles into work; 41:36; 7:52/mi
    Sat: 11 miles in the evening up along Sutton and onto the hill in Howth and back. 1:24:22; 7:40/mi. Very cold and wet.

49.2 miles this week - very solid week for me, the key runs being the Wed lunchtime run and the Saturday evening run.

Pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Just curious what's the longest run you're hoping to do before Donadea?
    Have you a 'long run' plan or just continue with your current schedule and see what that brings?

Ferris B wrote: »
    Just curious what's the longest run you're hoping to do before Donadea?
    Have you a 'long run' plan or just continue with your current schedule and see what that brings?

Hi Ferris, nice to catch up today. I do have a long run plan. I had hoped to get in a 20 miler this weekend, ideally with 10+ MP miles in it and a decent long run next weekend. I can't see myself getting that in this weekend though and next weekend will be too close to donadea for a MP session so it will probably be another week of high intensity multiples this week, with hopefully 10-12 miles medium long run each of the next two weekends. I might able to get a 10 miler in tomorrow eve.

The short stuff worked last year (even for marathons) but I my main question at this time is whether I was living on endurance from the previous year and adding that to speed built up in the early months of the year.

So really to answer your question, ideally I'd like to get long runs in but I'm happy to just do as I've done before and am confident I can grit it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Love your summary of 2015, J! De-prioritising running hasn't done you any harm at all!

Looking forward to the first ever St Anne's buggy first finishers!

annapr wrote: »
    Love your summary of 2015, J! De-prioritising running hasn't done you any harm at all!

Looking forward to the first ever St Anne's buggy first finishers!

Thanks Anna, and on your second comment - that's a very tall order given the depth of quality on a typical day at St Anne's! But who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Killerz wrote: »
    Thanks Anna, and on your second comment - that's a very tall order given the depth of quality on a typical day at St Anne's! But who knows :)

you owe it to the twins! :)

annapr wrote: »
    you owe it to the twins! :)

Well okay so then! Just need to get to a sub17 level and have a lucky day. Easy peasy

Finally an opp to catch up after being locked out of boards for a week!

Week ending 17th January:

Mon Lunchtime: 6.09 miles; 41:49; avg pace 6:52/mi
    Mon Evening: 6.56 miles; 50:44; avg pace 7:44/mi
    Tue Lunchtime: 6 miles no watch
    Weds morning: 3.1 miles (5k) on treadmill in hotel in London before meeting. Ugh 25 minutes of sheer hell.
    Thurs lunchtime: 6.03 miles; 43:18; avg pace 7:11/mi
    Thurs evening: 6.54 miles; 48:28; 7:25/mi
    Fri morning: 5.22 miles; 43:42; 8:22/mi

Fairly solid week, but had planned on getting some runs in over the weekend which didnt happen as life got in the way.

39.54 miles total

Week ending 24th January:

Mon eve: 11 miles; 1:24:55; avg pace 7:43/mi. Nice to get out for a bit of a longer run tonight. Good for the head.
    Tues morning: 6.34 miles into work; 50:26; avg pace 7:57/ mi. Tired for this.
    Tues lunchtime: 6.16 miles; 47:02; avg pace 7:38/mi
    Weds lunchtime: 5 miles; 35:52; avg pace: 7:10/mi
    Weds evening: 6.54 miles; 45:30; avg 6:57/mi. Very pleased with this fast run on tired legs.
    Thurs morning: 5.01 miles; 38:46; avg 7:44/mi.
    Thurs lunchtime: 6.01 miles; 41:38; avg 6:56/mi.
    Friday morning: 5 miles no watch.
    Sunday afternoon: 10.14 miles with the double buggy. 1:17:10; 7:37/mi. My body is still feeling this one. I haven't been out running with the buggy since October. Still stiff, 3 days on. Nice to have decent temps for running for a change. HR avg 155, max 172. 10 miles with a buggy is probably equiv effort to 13/14 without from the way I was feeling during/ after.

Cracking week overall with 61.2 miles run. High points were the sub7 min mile paces maintained on tired legs during the midweek runs and doing the 10 miles on tired legs with the double buggy on Sunday. Low point was probably the extreme cold on Friday morning run!

• Advertisement

Week ending 31st January:

Mon eve: 6.17 miles home from work; 48:50; 7:55/mi
    Tue morning: 5 miles into work; 42:50; 8:37.mi
    Wed: 6.56 miles home from work; 50:37; 7:43/mi
    Thu: 6.2 miles no watch
    Fri: 5.19 miles into work; 40:14; 7:45/mi
    Sat: Donabate parkrun - 18:10, 2nd place

Original plan was to run this with the running buggy but (a) the buggy was too big to fit in the car without putting down the seats and (b) it was absolutely freezing so the babies were probably better off remaining toasty in the regular buggy.

So, plan for this was a good workout with 2 weeks to Donadea. Off we went, and myself, another guy and a lad with a Lusk AC singlet headed off. Lusk AC was moving well and was clear probably inside 200m. I passed the other guy and started following Lusk guy but he was well gone and literally out of sight within about 2k so no catching him. There was no one else near me in my rear view mirror either so the effort probably dropped on my part with no one to chase and no one chasing.

On the second lap I was passing a lot of backmarker traffic. Lots of it, and really had to run around it. As I was coming close to the end, one of the marshals (who is the Event Dir and I had met beforehand) said 'Jamie, you went the wrong way/ took a wrong turn'. A marshal beside him just laughed so I assumed it was a joke. I was closing in on the 5k mark so all was making sense. But then the turn for the end came and I was at about 4.9k. So I just said to the timer guys that I would continue on and make up the distance and come back.

Ended up doing about 5.1k in the end, and 18:10. Was well clear of third place and I probably ended up doing a harder course in the end. No big deal. Still not entirely sure where I took the wrong turn but sure these things happen.

Great setting and a lovely course - would recommend it.

Mile 1: 5:29
    Mile 2: 5:48
    Mile 3: 5:49
    0.17mi: 1:02

32.29 miles this week - just over half the mileage of last week, but suits me to take it down a notch and listen to the body.

Advertisement