Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Ferris B wrote: »
    Love it. Will be following with interest.

Well, I hope I can be interesting... but expect more of the same in terms of my training!

Decent couple of weeks gone by. Busy with work and a few bits and pieces going on. On an encouraging note, considering the weather has been cooperative, myself Adam and Sadie have been doing our runs together (with the help of the double buggy) and have been doing 7-10 milers.

3 buggy runs in last 8 days in reverse order from today backwards.

10 miles 1:17:43 7:27/mi today
    8 miles 58:58 7:24/mi thurs
    7.4 miles 53:34 7:15/mi sun

The workouts are tough and are fairly wiping me out, especially given Adam and Sadie's recent preference for 5:30am wake up calls!

Went in to Trinity on Weds to get the vo2 max test done which was an interesting and informative experience. Lots of information and advice to take in.

Other than that, been tipping out a few miles here and there when I can :)

Wicklow Way Ultra this coming Saturday. Looking forward to this, which I will be treating as an easy paced training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck today, hope the arms don't get to tired with no buggy to rest them
    on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hope all went to plan today, J. Perfect day for a run in the Wicklow Hills. Nothing like overnight rain to soften up the ground for you.....I trust you enjoyed it :)

Thanks guys and .... ugh tough conditions. Rain and wind for almost 3 hours. Will post more details in due course but a character building experience !

Time on feet though and two fingers to that weather were the main outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done J looking forward to the report.

IMRA Maurice Mullins Ultra 51km, 26th March

5:54:31 67th place (TBC*)

This was tough. Amongst the toughest things I have ever done. I was never 'racing' this - idea was to go out, run it, spend some time on my feet and try an IMRA event for the first time. I did 6 runs during the week, taking Friday off, but spent that on my feet shopping and gardening. To run this on tired legs was part of the plan so no issues there.

Race morning the rain started, didnt get much better, So be it. Runners, socks, shorts, buff, long sleeve top and jacket on. Had this bumbag thing (can convert into a backpack) where I kept a spare tee, some gels and a half bagel. Also carried a handheld water bottle with me. After registering and leaving in my drop bag, I started walking to the start line. The adjustment strap on my water bottle was fraying - not a good start.

Off we went at 9:30am, and it was a minute or two in before I realised I hadnt started my Garmin. Great. Rain coming down. Then, HR monitor wasnt being detected. Forgot that I hadnt synched my replacement garmin with this HRM. Righto - one of those days.

On the paved roads (very little of these) and fire roads, I used my speed to make up for areas where I would be at a disadvantage due to my trail novice-ness and lack of trail runners. But some of the rocky descents were very hazardous and I was slowed to a walk, allowing people pass. But on the downhill roads I flew it and usually caught those who had passed me. Lovely forest surroundings and clear air to take in.

The first aid station came at 12k. By now the fraying strap had gone from my bottle, still had a wider strap but a bit less comfortable to carry. Really I just took all these things as extra challenges to add to the experience. Topped up my water bottle, took a gel, a chocolate bar and on i went. My feet were fairly mucky and wet at this stage but really things were to get a lot worse...

Out of the aid station and up, up, up hill before another tough descent with difficult footing to cross the Dargle at the top of Powescourt waterfall. Then back up the other side. And after that a very mucky and long ascent up the side of Djouce. This was horrendous. Muck, water, streams coming towards me. Got to the top of that, and then more of the same. Lovely. Was telling myself I was going to call it a day at half way. The rain was coming down, fog/ mist in the air, the wind was strong and I felt like everyone was passing me. Then the boardwalk came and the descent down Djouce. All seemed okay with the world again. Down down down, then on the forestry road into Ballinastoe Woods where I saw the 'Halfers' starting out in the other direction. Hit halfway (25.5k) in about 2 hours 45. Filled up on water and turned around.

Started walking up the hills, feasting on a bagel. Out of Ballinstoe Woods and onto the ascent up the Djouce boardwalk. Cramp hit pretty bad here but I stretched out and hoped I could keep it at bay. Powered on up and the mist had cleared and there was a wonderful view down over Lough Tay on my left. Felt better.

Off the boardwalk and back on trail. The trail was now made up of shallow streams. I purposely ran in them as the small stones and rocks provided some grip vs. the muck fest either side where I was likely to fall. So running in the shallow cold water (probably akin to multiple puddles if that makes sense) was the order of the day.

The descent down the far side of Djouce towards Powerscourt again wasnt as bad as I feared and I managed to stay on my feet the whole way down (despite a few near misses), though by now I craved the uphills as my quads were in bits from descending too quickly. That was the end of the really mucky and wet trails. Eventually got to the aid station at 38k. Forgot all about my drop bag but ate some jellies, chocolate and some buttered brack, filled up my water and on I went.

More cramping ahead but managed to stave it off and make my way forward and up the hills and rocks before the last major climb which like many of the significant climbs today was more of a power hike. Final long descent then on to the roads, last short hill and home in 5:54.

Picked up my Finishers Mug and changed into dry clothes before heading home absolutely spent.

31.8 miles per the Garmin, average pace 11:06/mi - acknowledging of course that I didnt start it til a bit late. Minutes per mile spread from 7 min to 18 min miles there! I must point out that this is a great race - for me it was very tough as I hadnt done any recces, hadnt done IMRA before so that obviously affected me. It pushed me, but didnt overcome me.

As far as time on feet and gutsing it out goes, it was job done. So that's a positive. In many ways, the longer the better. This was the longest I had run in one sitting since a trail ultra I did in Canada where I went for almost 10 hours. But boy was this tough. Well organised, and for 15 euro it would be hard to find a better bang-for-your-buck race out there. My race report is a bit rambling and I dont have much concept of where i was at different times, but today was about just plodding along, which I did. Managed to avoid falling too which was a plus - would be genuinely fearful of how long it might take to be rescued from certain areas on that course!

* For some reason my name is down as bib 25 and a DNF whereas I was bib 116. 116 is listed as 67th place which is my time so I'm sure it will be fixed IDC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

As I said, crazy man!! Well done J, tired even reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Great race report. I was at the JP Malone stone taking race photos, high winds and misty rain all the time.

Well done J, unreal stamina, utmost respect completing that race, not surprised
    its bit of blur :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

OMG, what a report. It broke my heart when you had to turn around and go back over Djouce again :eek: I'm going to save this and re-read any time I'm tempted by mountain running again.

Fair focks to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great report. Makes me want to sign up straight away :) FairPlay. Good job!

Oh my god sounds awful how do you do it ??? Serious well done J ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

holy cow man! you were craving UPHILLS??!! and running in a stream? and you managed to see the view?! actually none of this surprises me :D well done crazy J!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Totally mad. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

A 51k trail ultra with no trail shoes!

Great performance. Really enjoyed report.

Thanks very much for all the nice comments. It was a tough race but I hope I wouldn't put people off doing it. Better preparations and dry conditions would have made a world of difference. I can't fault the race at all, more to do with me being a road running softie!

DubOnHoliday - fair play, I remember you well. It's one thing running in those conditions, it's another thing volunteering! Any link to your photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'm not even sure where to start after reading that! Sounds like you definitely challenged yourself anyway, fair play! Good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Killerz wrote: »

DubOnHoliday - fair play, I remember you well. It's one thing running in those conditions, it's another thing volunteering! Any link to your photos?

They are on the IMRA FB site.
    About 1/3 of the photos were usable due to the poor conditions :(

Time to update my log again, it has been a while.

Productive last couple of weeks, highlights were running my 35th parkrun last weekend, getting about 50 miles in each week, with some good long runs with the buggy too (9 miles last Saturday and Sunday with the buggy and 13 yesterday morning, 6 miles yesterday afternoon)

Have now done the new St Annes course twice with the buggy as part of a longer run - definitely tougher with the buggy vs. the old course as you have a hill towards the end of each lap. Was just over 20 mins last weekend, but managed 19:26 yesterday for 14th place.

First triple run was done on Tuesday - 6 miles into work, 6 miles at lunch and 5 miles at 7 in the evening. That was preceded by 6.5 miles the evening before. Felt okay overall, but then again, not huge distances.

Wings for Life up next on Sunday week before planning my lead up to the 24 hour event in late June.

• Advertisement

Decent week again last week with a triple on Tuesday covering 21.5 miles, and a double-double over Thursday and Friday being the highlights. Covered 70 miles over the 7 days from Saturday to Friday, running only 5 of those. So a high average daily mileage for me.

Went to the physio on Weds as I have had a little pain and tenderness in the left foot. No significant issues so will power on and hope for the best.

Nice easy paced parkrun on Saturday morning - no buggy this time, funnily enough my time was much slower :)

Time to put together a bit of a report from the Wings for Life on Sunday.

Distance: 40.97km. Time: 3:05:08
    Placing: 19th in Ireland, and (I think) 608th in the world.

I think this is a really cool and novel concept for a race, and really enjoyed it last year (though found it tough). Last year I hit 39.8km. I had a loose aim of trying to achieve the marathon distance, but no real plan except to try and hold on to 7 min/mile pace as long as possible. This year, I had the same aim in trying to hit the 42.2k. The course is tough – loaded with hills. There is some respite between 30 and 40k, but then they hit again – just when it hurts. On top of that it was a warm day on Sunday, and heat has always been my main nemesis. After my Chicago collapse, I’ve always been that bit more wary of the sun and hot days, it’s always at the front of my mind. Nonetheless, I put on the suncream, buff, and shades and would also be trying out salt tablets in a race for the first time. Plan was to take these approx. every 30 mins at water stations where I could, depending on how they fell during the race.

First 10k or so passed off without a hitch (although tough, and warm), with the exception of almost getting knocked down by a van coming on to the roundabout just before Shankill village. Unfortunately, water stations were 5k apart and it was only cups – this is a bit too much of a gap on a tough, warm course. I lost a good bit of time over the course of the day ensuring I got enough water into me… but needs must and all that.

Got a good bit of water in on the seafront in Bray, drenching myself with it, gave me a new lease of life before ascending Putland Road and then turning left to cross the 15k timing mat. Brief respite along there before hitting the monstrous hills between Bray and Greystones. My average pace decreased from c.7 min miles here to 7:07 or so, and even with the downhill into Greystones, never really returned to that level again. Through Delgany then around 22k and more hills. Nice shoutout from friends there before more climbs on the road to Kilcoole. Was told I was in 37th place at that point.

Feeling reasonably okay at this stage, still taking on salts and having gels at 55 mins and 1:50 or so. Traded places with Bubendorfer around Kilcoole and he disappeared off into the distance (caught him later on though :) ). Still knocking out a good pace here but losing time at the water stations. Was ticking off the miles/ kms along roads that felt very ‘samey’ to me, but finding myself very thirsty due to gel intake, heat and distance between the water stations. Passing a few people now, lots of lads resorting to having their tops off – big sunburn risk! Few resigned to walking… Kept on going. Got to the 35k water station and was told the catcher car was 10k behind. Couldn’t remember what pace it was supposed to be going at at this stage but figured I would need at least 7 * 4 min kms to get to 42k, and wasn’t sure if that was possible. Ploughed on and left turn into Rathnew. Knew the 39k station would be my last water so just took a little on and ploughed up the hill at Tinakilly, over the 40k marker and then more hills. My legs were like jelly going up here and I knew the car was breathing down my neck. Just kept going until it caught me at 40.97k. I didn’t see the 41k marker so it wasn’t like I had my eye on that. Looking beyond where I was caught, there were more hills – I think I would have needed a good 6-7 mins to get to 42.2k, so it’s not as if I was even that close. Delighted nonetheless to surpass last year’s total.

Had to walk back almost 2k to the water station to get the lift back – haha I suppose there’s my marathon – had the company of Karl who was caught just metres before me. Got back to that water station and it was like seeing a whole load of people after being shot lying on the side of the road – wish I had a camera! Bus wasn’t long coming and we were headed back to Dun Laoghaire.

Overall, generally felt quite good during this race. Looking back, I reckon if I had attempted to maintain 7 min mile pace, I may well have blown up.

Great event again, but the 5k gaps for water stations from 20k onwards would be better served with bottles of water. Numbers are significantly lower at that stage, so it would be logistically easier.

Stats: 25.36 miles per Garmin; average pace 7:18/mi; HR avg 165, max 188.
    Pace per mile varied wildly from 6:31/mile (Mile 12) to 7:55 (Mile 25) as a result of the variety of elevation!

All roads now lead to Belfast on the 25th June. Time to start slowing my pace right down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great running, Jamie! Not that long now to Belfast.

annapr wrote: »
    Great running, Jamie! Not that long now to Belfast.

Thanks Anna. Yeh, I think it's 6 weeks from this weekend! A fair bit of prep still to go too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Placing: 19th in Ireland, and (I think) 608th in the world.

holy hell man, that's something to be very proud of! great going on a hot day and good prep for the big event no doubt, well done!

Super stuff Jamie great ground work for Belfast :D Supporters road trip woh woh !!!

Super run J, must be longest continuos in a while, always amazes me how you
    can belt out a Marathon, hope rest of training goes well, looking forward to seeing
    how Belfast goes.

Firedance wrote: »
    holy hell man, that's something to be very proud of! great going on a hot day and good prep for the big event no doubt, well done!

Thanks AM, very happy with it alright. Need to slow my pace right down now... something doesnt feel quite right about that!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Super stuff Jamie great ground work for Belfast :D Supporters road trip woh woh !!!

Thanks A. I want to be in the support section - sounds like its gonna be fun :)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Super run J, must be longest continuos in a while, always amazes me how you
    can belt out a Marathon, hope rest of training goes well, looking forward to seeing
    how Belfast goes.

Thanks Gary, and yes, longest since the Wicklow Way beast a few weeks ago. A few long runs now to get in ahead of the 24 to (hopefully) give me confidence I can keep going for that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How was recovery and sunburn? Congratulations on a super run. Some going.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    How was recovery and sunburn? Congratulations on a super run. Some going.

Thanks A. Tender enough quads on my Tues and weds recovery runs but felt okay again this morning. Our lunchtime yoga was moved outdoors onto the roof today at work. Delightful, and good again for the recovery, but a reminder of the heat of last Sunday :) Hard to get back to my Gordon Gecko life in the afternoon after that ;)

A week's holiday now... Maybe a few miles on the Kerry Way to keep me honest!

Advertisement