Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done, sounds like challenging conditions too. Good luck with the last few weeks of training

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Just catching up here J. All my posts on this log are congratulatory, as is this one.

Well done again. Mighty running.

Have you some Kenyan ancestry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Thanks a mil Laura and Colm. Felt controlled and comfortable throughout (as much as you can be on a day and course like that)... Much different to the WW Ultra. It's gonna be all about finding some marginal gains now to give me all the help I can get over next few weeks

Mixed couple of weeks, running-wise. Was away in Kenmare two weeks ago for a week so limited running done. Came back on the Friday and did the Calcutta Run 10k, with the double buggy. Put in a decent performance for 41:47 and 14th place overall. Hard workout, and took me a while to catch my breath - the twins didnt understand that! Nothing else major to report from that one.

24 Hour Event Training Day. 93km/ 58 miles/ 10 hours covered.

And so to yesterday, Friday. I took the day off work to dedicate it to a sort of dress rehearsal for Belfast. It's 4 weeks out so enough time to change a few things and recover. Didnt get to bed til 11, but no problem - no harm being tired for this. I'd set one of the bedrooms up with my gear changes and various bits and pieces. I'd also left some water and other stuff in the porch so I could come back and collect it without going into the house. I took a handheld water bottle with me to leave in a tree and come back to as necessary.

Plan:

Plan was to do 3 hours/ break for 1 hour (to allow wife get ready for work and cover time before childminder arrived)/ 3.5 hours/ 1 hour break/ 3.5 hours. Each run period was broken down into 30 min slots - Run 25/ Walk 5 mins. Target was 18 miles/ 20 miles/ 20 miles respectively. Run pace 9:45/ mile; Walk pace <15 min/ mile.

First 3 hours (29k):

The alarm went off at 3am, I jumped in the shower, got my gear on (shorts, long tee, jacket, hat, gloves), had some breakfast (coffee, porridge and toast), and was on the road soon after 4am. These early morning slots were mostly done down on the seafront between Watermill Road and the Service Station on the seafront path to Sutton. One of the loops was a trip home to pick up more water. All went well here and the novelty factor ensured the time passed by. Salt tablets at 1, 2 and 3 hour; gel at 1.5 and 2.5 hour. Lovely and tranquil out... a pleasure to run.

First break:

In home and had a recovery shake first, changed my gear (into shorts, tee, hat, gloves), refilled all water etc., charged my mp3 and garmin and ate some muesli, toast and a ham sandwich. Took 2 solpadeines. Played around with the babies for a while - they just didnt really understand what I was doing. Wore tracksuit over gear to keep warm. Elevated feet for 10 mins. Forgot to have a planned cup of coffee.

Middle 3.5 hours - 20 miles (32.2k):

Back out again around 8:15 with the plan being to centre most of these loops in St Annes Park. FBOT was kind enough to offer to join me for a while, which was a great novelty and made what was ultimately an hour and a half pass by nicely. We chatted over a few very slow laps, which involved some walking... Met duanington briefly before I said my farewells to them and ploughed on. Salt again on 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour. Gel on 1.5 and 2.5 hours. Looped back home on Segment No. 4 to get some more water. First few 30 min segments were mostly in the park (I live about .4 of a mile from the park), then the final 3 were on the seafront and up home. Started to feel a bit weak and hungry as I approached 2.5 hours. Planned a shop visit - I was thinking croissant, maybe 2, but just had the gel. Last 30-45 mins were tough but managed to make it home. Picked up a ham sandwich I had made earlier and some pretzels and took it on my last 5 minute walk before heading in home.

Second Break:

Had the house to myself as kids were gone to playgroup so had a bit more space to get my food etc. Changed my gear (into shorts, tee, buff, shades), 2 x solpadeines again, charged my electrics, ate a couple of sandwiches and pretzels, recovery shake. Also had to take a parkrun related call and deal with a few personal things in this one hour break. Cooked a pizza and ate 3/4 of it - left the rest in the porch along with a sambo for pick up later. Elevated the feet again for a short time. Cut back a big toenail that was threatening to get nasty... It's a bit tender today actually. Childminder made up some fresh beetroot juice, had a bit of this - first time giving it a go and seemed okay.

Final 3.5 hours - 20 miles (32.2k)

Off out for the final session, approx 1pm in the day. Temps getting a bit warmer now. First 3 x 30 min segments were to/ from park and seafront and back home to pick up some more water and a couple of slices of pizza on the 4th segment. I can just imagine it must have been funny to onlookers seeing me running along Howth Road munching on pizza. I was meeting FBOT again who had kindly agreed to join me for some more miles, which would be my last hour and a half of the day. FBOT is doing Belfast as part of a relay team with my wife, and two others from her work. I would say that overall, I felt better on this 3.5 hour session than I did on the last and never really faded this time. No gels this round (pizza instead!), but stuck with the hourly salt tabs. The last 3 x 30 mins were park - seafront - park/ home. Great again to have company for what otherwise may have been a tough hour and a half to get through.

Home and ate some more, took the kids out for a walk, and was in bed by 9.

Thoughts:

A very satisfying day's work, and actually one of my favourite running days of the year. The whole day was planned around this... it was a novelty to me... I was never more than 25 mins away from a walk. The pace was manageable, the walks were nice. The repeats didnt bother me. I felt pretty good afterwards, like I could go on. Feeling good again today, a few little tender spots, but not bad at all when you think of the mileage done. Paying attention to recoveries, pace etc probably helped. I stayed on pace overall, some slightly faster bits, some slower but overall bang on. The full outfit changes (bar the shoes) ensured some nice fresh gear to wear, another positive on the mental side.

Great confidence booster and helps to frame my plans for 25th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wow, what a way to spend a day off. Jesus, that went really well for you, I don't know why I'm surprised. Well done and of course feeling great is even better.

Trying not to feel like an underachiever since I did cover 1/4 mile swimming today.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Wow, what a way to spend a day off. Jesus, that went really well for you, I don't know why I'm surprised. Well done and of course feeling great is even better.

Trying not to feel like an underachiever since I did cover 1/4 mile swimming today.

Thanks A. Not underachieving at all - you're building back up after injury! We all have our Everest :) If its any consolation, it probably would take me the same 10 hours I was running yesterday to do a 1/4 mile in the pool :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wow! That's some training session! Great confidence booster indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Impressive stuff, J. Why not change the shoes, as a matter of interest?

Love the pizza running. Could catch on.

Best of luck with the rest of the prep.

Looking good J. Can I ask Why the solpadeine?

Thanks guys. Ososlo look forward to catching up on your log... I have been negligent in my boards reading of late :)

Denis - if I had spares I would have changed them. Took them off on breaks and was barefoot.

Ferris - solpa was recommended by a guy who did MdS recently. He was also the guy who recommended 25/5 and 20 mile then a break strategy so he's doing well so far :) Good for reducing swelling, and has codeine and caffeine (hence why I prob didn't miss the coffee ;) ). I never felt I needed them,but was rehearsing to make sure no issues. I don't know if I could or should keep taking them as the day wears on... Have to think on that. I also bought motilium but didn't try. I will give it a go on a training run in coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Killerz wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Ososlo look forward to catching up on your log... I have been negligent in my boards reading of late :)

Denis - if I had spares I would have changed them. Took them off on breaks and was barefoot.

Ferris - solpa was recommended by a guy who did MdS recently. He was also the guy who recommended 25/5 and 20 mile then a break strategy so he's doing well so far :) Good for reducing swelling, and has codeine and caffeine (hence why I prob didn't miss the coffee ;) ). I never felt I needed them,but was rehearsing to make sure no issues. I don't know if I could or should keep taking them as the day wears on... Have to think on that. I also bought motilium but didn't try. I will give it a go on a training run in coming weeks.

That's a phenomenal day, J, fair play to you.

Not sure about the solpadeine, I've always heard that you shouldn't take painkillers when running... But your gig is very different.

Codeine is an opiate though... Banned substance? ;)

annapr wrote: »
    That's a phenomenal day, J, fair play to you.

Not sure about the solpadeine, I've always heard that you shouldn't take painkillers when running... But your gig is very different.

Codeine is an opiate though... Banned substance? ;)

Thanks Anna. Yes I've heard differing views on ibuprofen, painkillers etc. Concerns around heart rate, dehydration etc but was okay yesterday. Will prob limit the intake on the day itself unless I feel I need it,but wanted to make sure I could manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Jesus.... wow, and that's just a training run?! I understand the concept 'you're doing Belfast 24 hours' but seeing a training run like that laid out drives home (to the likes of me) exactly what that will mean on the day. Incredible stuff J, if I had a hat I'd take it off you to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Nice run to have under the belt.
    Your crew will have some job keeping you fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

What a day J, looks like well executed plan and wouldn't expect anything less,
    Pitty twins are to young to remember this crazy Daddy story:)

Thanks Firedance , Ed and KennyG... And who knows Gary, I may still be crazy when they are older!

I know there's a lot of detail and it's more like a race report that a training report, but I wanted to log everything while I remembered it as prep for Belfast.

Nice slow recovery run with the buggy this morning - 1 hour 20, about 7 and a half miles. On our run on Friday, FBOT expressed concern that his team mate for Belfast (Mrs Killerz) was getting enough time to do her training. Well you will be happy to hear that wifey joined us for this morning's run, before continuing on to round off a 2 hour training run, this after a one hour run last night. So no fear, Mark... Your team is safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Killerz wrote: »
    Thanks Firedance , Ed and KennyG... And who knows Gary, I may still be crazy when they are older!

I know there's a lot of detail and it's more like a race report that a training report, but I wanted to log everything while I remembered it as prep for Belfast.

Nice slow recovery run with the buggy this morning - 1 hour 20, about 7 and a half miles. On our run on Friday, FBOT expressed concern that his team mate for Belfast (Mrs Killerz) was getting enough time to do her training. Well you will be happy to hear that wifey joined us for this morning's run, before continuing on to round off a 2 hour training run, this after a one hour run last night. So no fear, Mark... Your team is safe!
    I'm sure you will, I'm sure neighbors will remember hall door picnic anyway, our
    Jamie cringes even if he sees stretching in Garden.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I'm sure you will, I'm sure neighbors will remember hall door picnic anyway, our
    Jamie cringes even if he sees stretching in Garden.:)

Especially if wearing compression socks :p

The twins are too young to realise that their Dad is sooooo embarrassing :). Enjoy it while it lasts J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Bloody hell J that's some session it must actually look strange to the neighbours they must think Mrs K has kicked you out but feels sorry for you and leaves left overs in the porch for you !!! But seriously fair play my 10 miles this morning with a touch of a hangover seems very insignificant in comparison. Best of luck to you and Mrs K looking forward to supporting duty in Belfast !

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Bloody hell J that's some session it must actually look strange to the neighbours they must think Mrs K has kicked you out but feels sorry for you and leaves left overs in the porch for you !!! But seriously fair play my 10 miles this morning with a touch of a hangover seems very insignificant in comparison. Best of luck to you and Mrs K looking forward to supporting duty in Belfast !

Thanks Anne. 10 miles is 10 miles though and is 10 miles more than most. I'm just trying to prepare a best as possible for this and this seemed the way to go :)

Look forward to seeing you and the gang in Belfast

• Advertisement

Reasonable week this week as we come to 3 weeks to go til the main event.

No running on Monday, but ran home from work Tues and Thurs (6.5 miles each) and ran in on Weds (5 miles) and Fri (7 miles). Did 12 miles with the buggy on Sat (7.5 pre-parkrun), then parkrun and balance to get home. Was at the zoo with the kids today and took the opportunity to run home -9.5 miles along the canal etc - scorchio! This was just a little faster than planned race pace, and incorporated the 25/5 strategy. It took me 90 mins, so therefore got 3 cycles of that in in total. Pleased enough given the long day on the feet before the run.

46.5 miles total this week.

Week ending 12th June

Just ticking over, keeping steady and adding bits to my never-ending kit list ahead of Belfast on the 25th.

Out for an hour with the buggy on bank holiday Monday, and an hour run on each of Tues and Weds. Took Thurs and Friday off to give myself a break. RD duties at St Annes on Sat morning, where the weather was lovely. Great to catch up with a number of familiar faces, lots of whom were keen to know how training was going. Also good to see Kenny G was still alive and well after his nasty Cork experience on the Monday.

Unfortunately got caught in the rain big time when our for a buggy run on Sat afternoon and only ended up getting 5 miles done.

Happy to get an hour and a half in on Sunday which was nice and gently paced, taking in a fair amount of Dollymount.

Week ending 19th June

Reasonably low mileage week just gone by. 4 runs in total, none longer than an hour.

Last few days, ran home on Monday, will run in tomorrow and do 30 mins on Friday morning and that shall be that.

Good crew from St Anne's coming up to run, to support or to crew which will be fabulous - looking forward to it, and all for a good cause... More details on Jamie Killeen's facebook page should you be interested in checking that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck to you and Mrs killerz see ya up in Belfast Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck at the weekend Jamie, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Absolutely, wishing you and Mrs K all the very best over the weekend.

Best of luck tomorrow J. Whatever the plan is I hope it works out for you.

Hope the hallucinations in the latter stages are nice ones.

Wishing I was there to see it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good luck to all the team. You'll have to stay awake for a few more hours after the finish to watch the match :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

The very best of luck to you all, hope it goes brilliantly for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Still trying to get my head around the scale of an undertaking like this. No better man though. Hope you have plenty of pizza ordered. All the best.

Advertisement