Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Abhainn wrote: »
    Jamie that's a mighty achievement. Super effort and report

Thanks Joe, really appreciate it. Hope you are keeping well.

aquinn wrote: »
    Truly incredible going Jamie, what a performance and to be so positive throughout is really fantastic. Delighted to see you are indeed human and that it hurt on Monday. To have your smiling face still appearing in middle of the night photos, crew feedback and them keeping us updated was really super.

Congratulations again and well done to all.

Thanks for your kind words, A, love your positive comments all the time! Hope your recovery is coming along well and we'll see you our doing your stuff again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, just wow. What an incredible performance and a well executed plan. It's not everyone that is so in tune with their body and ability that they can foresee what strategy and nutrition may work for them. You're an inspiration and full of positivity. I'm sure your daughter is and will be very proud of what you've done in her honor.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Wow, just wow. What an incredible performance and a well executed plan. It's not everyone that is so in tune with their body and ability that they can foresee what strategy and nutrition may work for them. You're an inspiration and full of positivity. I'm sure your daughter is and will be very proud of what you've done in her honor.

What lovely words - thanks very much Neady - made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. That was just epic. Massive congrats to you, your crew, supporters and of course the relay team. I can't visualise a 24 hour race without thinking of Stephen King's 'The Long Walk' :eek: I'm guessing you didn't read that before you signed up ;) ?

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. That was just epic. Massive congrats to you, your crew, supporters and of course the relay team. I can't visualise a 24 hour race without thinking of Stephen King's 'The Long Walk' :eek: I'm guessing you didn't read that before you signed up ;) ?

Thanks BG, and no, I didnt read it. I'm intrigued now!

Got back into it with a bit more regularity over the course of the last week, with 6 miles home on Monday, 5 into work on Tuesday, 6 home on Weds and 5 in on Friday.

Followed that up with 7 miles including parkrun on Saturday. Hadn't intended on doing 7, but they were short on volunteers so I did a lap at the start and put out the arrows... I was wrecked after that!

Started off well and felt good for all of about 500 metres, where i was top 3-4, but first place was way ahead. FBOT tore past me at about 1.5k, and I knew I wouldnt be passing him again. He may not have known that though :p Dropped back a few places, reckon I was in around 10th spot as I got to half way in 9:37 or so. Fairly wrecked at this stage, and was feeling that warm up lap in my legs. What felt like 5:30 per mile was more like 6:15/ 6:20 per mile. But that's probably to be expected...

Managed to pick off a few people over Lap 2 and shouted a warning to FBOT with about 500m to go that he better watch out as I was gaining on him. I haven't seen an injection of pace of that nature since he thought I was going to pass him with the buggy a few weeks ago. I hope he didnt pull a muscle or something. We're talking 100 metre runner out of the blocks here - a sight to behold.

Anyhow, caught another one on the hill, but FBOT was too far away to catch. I finished 6th in 19:03, a reasonable return to speed work after the 24.

29 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Killerz wrote: »
    Got back into it with a bit more regularity over the course of the last week, with 6 miles home on Monday, 5 into work on Tuesday, 6 home on Weds and 5 in on Friday.

Followed that up with 7 miles including parkrun on Saturday. Hadn't intended on doing 7, but they were short on volunteers so I did a lap at the start and put out the arrows... I was wrecked after that!

Started off well and felt good for all of about 500 metres, where i was top 3-4, but first place was way ahead. FBOT tore past me at about 1.5k, and I knew I wouldnt be passing him again. He may not have known that though :p Dropped back a few places, reckon I was in around 10th spot as I got to half way in 9:37 or so. Fairly wrecked at this stage, and was feeling that warm up lap in my legs. What felt like 5:30 per mile was more like 6:15/ 6:20 per mile. But that's probably to be expected...

Managed to pick off a few people over Lap 2 and shouted a warning to FBOT with about 500m to go that he better watch out as I was gaining on him. I haven't seen an injection of pace of that nature since he thought I was going to pass him with the buggy a few weeks ago. I hope he didnt pull a muscle or something. We're talking 100 metre runner out of the blocks here - a sight to behold.

Anyhow, caught another one on the hill, but FBOT was too far away to catch. I finished 6th in 19:03, a reasonable return to speed work after the 24.

29 miles for the week.

Yes it was some start from you alright. I had visions of you knocking out a sub 18 and leaving me for dead. I spent the next mile drafting an email to WADA in my head :p

Your fast start and sporting warning before the hill on the 2nd lap helped keep me focused and certainly made it a harder workout than it probably otherwise would have been. I don't think the guy I passed in last 300m would be too impressed if he knew I had pretty much settled on 5th and was happy to let him go until you woke me up with your shout. Cheers :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Yes it was some start from you alright. I had visions of you knocking out a sub 18 and leaving me for dead. I spent the next mile drafting an email to WADA in my head :p

Your fast start and sporting warning before the hill on the 2nd lap helped keep me focused and certainly made it a harder workout than it probably otherwise would have been. I don't think the guy I passed in last 300m would be too impressed if he knew I had pretty much settled on 5th and was happy to let him go until you woke me up with your shout. Cheers :D

Haha... The sporting warning was me being selfish... Meant there was no danger of me having to make that extra effort to try and catch you :)

Time to update the log again...

Main updates - starting to get a bit of speed back up again.

2 x parkruns over the past two Saturdays:
    19:55 last week and 19:36 this week. Good times when you consider they were at the end of longer runs (miles 10-12 of a 13 miler last week; and miles 7-9 of a 10 miler this week), each with the double buggy. Happy to have got some decent pace back in again, and have now completed 41 parkruns which is cool.

I'm pacing 1:30 at the Rock n Roll Half this coming Sunday so I needed to get that pace back pronto :)

Signed up for Dublin Half and Full Marathons too. So it's all go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Was it you beeping at me yesterday afternoon near the roundabout?

Good to see you're recovering well after Belfast.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Was it you beeping at me yesterday afternoon near the roundabout?

Good to see you're recovering well after Belfast.

Yes it was - and in the exact same spot I saw you last time! You politely waved back anyhow, even though you werent sure (a) who was beeping or (b) if they were beeping at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Yes it was - and in the exact same spot I saw you last time! You politely waved back anyhow, even though you werent sure (a) who was beeping or (b) if they were beeping at you!

I was about 99% sure it was you so I chanced the wave despite being glasses-less :) I do run more than just on that road!

Good week last week, hitting 50 miles overall, which was a nice total for me.

Was one of the two pacers for the 1:30 slot at Rock n Roll Half yesterday, which went according to plan. Tough conditions for those going for a time, some serious winds to deal with and the hills over the 8-13 mile section aint easy to deal with.

Good craic anyhow and nice to get a bit of speedy stuff in the legs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I was one of your pacees. Very impressed with the pacing, banking a few seconds for the hills, encouraging all the way.
    Unfortunately I was gassed at 10 miles but I saw from the other lads Strava that ye hit the line bang on. Well done.

snailsong wrote: »
    I was one of your pacees. Very impressed with the pacing, banking a few seconds for the hills, encouraging all the way.
    Unfortunately I was gassed at 10 miles but I saw from the other lads Strava that ye hit the line bang on. Well done.

Thanks snailsong, always nice to hear this kind of feedback from people in the pace group. Sorry to hear you couldn't hang on beyond the 10 miles but given the course and the conditions, it's completely understandable. On another day, no problem at all.

Reasonably good running week just gone past as we get closer to Dublin Half and Full marathons.

6 miles home on Monday, followed by 7 in on Tuesday. I now drop the kids off to creche each morning, which is 0.75 miles away from home, so I run them over in the buggy, out with them, fold up the buggy and leave it at the creche, and continue on my run. Working well... so far :o

Another 6 on Tuesday lunchtime.

Then did some CPR training with a few of the run directors from St. Anne's on Tues night, followed by a couple of sociables. Up then at 6am for 14 miles into work. Felt like falling asleep in work that day...

Nothing on Thursday, then 7 miles on Friday morning again.

6.5 miles Sunday afternoon including 8 x approx 100-150m at full pelt just for the fun of it.

Feeling the speed starting to return, but still a long way to go to make a decent impact at DCM.

Quick update to bring things up to date.

Tipping away with the mileage, broke free to do a parkrun last Saturday (3rd September) at St Annes and managed to finish first. Nice run out, conditions werent great but happy enough with 18 odd minutes.

Have been off work the past week and had intended to do some fast long runs, but feeling quite lethargic, probably not helped by the warm weather. Did 16 miles on Monday, 6 on Tues, 6 on Thurs and 14 on Friday (8 of which were in the company of FBOT which was great), so approx 42 miles in total over 4 days of running. All of those runs were done at fairly slow pace, although I had planned to include some MP stuff in the 16 miler which really didnt work out.

Off to Limerick then for the weekend - no running - and back this eve.

Grant Thornton 5k coming up on Tues evening, then the Dublin Race Series Half on 24th are next on the agenda.

GT 5k

Nice evening for a run. Went out targeting 3:20/km pace to see how long I could hang on, with the aim of getting under 17 mins. Held 3:20 for the first km, slipped back to 3:22 average pace by the the second km marker, and was at 3:24 by 3km. Was really hurting at this stage and lack of speed training was causing me problems. People starting to pass me. Was then averaging 3:25 by 4km and just hoping I could even hang on to that to get a low 17, but still at the back of my mind knowing I had a good sprint finish in me. Held that pace and came round the last bend with the clock in sight and just gave it everything to try get in under the 17 mins. Which I did. 16:54, good for 54th place and helping our team to 2nd overall in the Mixed Category and another piece of crystal from this event (following 5th place in the Mens last year - top 5 teams in M, F and Mixed get prizes). Delighted to have gone under 17 again - for the third time. With the questions around the length of this course last year, where I did 16:41, this 16:54 is arguably now my PB (16:58 being my other sub 17 performance).

Another of our BOI teams got 5th place in the mixed too so, good night all round. We had something like 180 runners from Bank of Ireland which is just brilliant to see.

Thanks to the marshals for the shout outs, even if I did have to wake them up first :) aquinn, marthastew and bungy girl that I recognised... though I heard other people shout my name at different times too! Great to see a good few familiar faces out and about including HelenAnne who ran a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done J :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice. Great to get a PB too. Speedy J is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

GT 5k

Delighted to have gone under 17 again - for the third time. With the questions around the length of this course last year, where I did 16:41, this 16:54 is arguably now my PB (16:58 being my other sub 17 performance).

Great run J - you seem in great shape.

Did you clock '5k' for the race - I know a few who had it short this year as well.
    Be a shame if there were questions about the course again this year as it attracts a lot of great runners every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done On PB J

Great run J - you seem in great shape.

Did you clock '5k' for the race - I know a few who had it short this year as well.
    Be a shame if there were questions about the course again this year as it attracts a lot of great runners every year.

Cheers AMK. I clocked 4.97 which is fair enough for a 5k I think , considering the buildings etc. There's no doubt the turnaround point was further away vs. last year... checked it out on the warm-up too. I know someone else who clocked 4.92 so again, hard to trust the Garmin and I would wager that the bit around grand canal dock would have played havoc with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Jamie. You can treat yourself to some pb pancakes in St Anne's this Saturday now. FBOT has volunteered to pay :)

Must have been a fair standard if that time only got you 54th. Glad I didn't show up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done Jamie. You can treat yourself to some pb pancakes in St Anne's this Saturday now. FBOT has volunteered to pay :)

Must have been a fair standard if that time only got you 54th. Glad I didn't show up :P

It was the cheering that did it and so would probably have missed you like at FD.

Oh and a PB. Fantastic Jamie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cheers AMK. I clocked 4.97 which is fair enough for a 5k I think , considering the buildings etc. There's no doubt the turnaround point was further away vs. last year... checked it out on the warm-up too. I know someone else who clocked 4.92 so again, hard to trust the Garmin and I would wager that the bit around grand canal dock would have played havoc with it.

good man - I think thats close enough to claim the PB with a clear conscience :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

My watch was in miles and had 3.08, which, like you, I think is close enough a measurement for a 5k.

I only thought it was short because I was so fast (for me :)) that I thought it MUST be wrong, but then I went home and checked my splits from last year and I was 12 secs per mile faster this year, so maybe my speed sessions are finally paying off.

Well done, Jamie, that was a great time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

aquinn wrote: »
    It was the cheering that did it and so would probably have missed you like at FD.

Oh and a PB. Fantastic Jamie.

Can't believe I didn't see you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Can't believe I didn't see you!

Fair enough not seeing me but surprised you didn't hear me. That's what normally happens.

A super time Helen. Congratulations. Perfect conditions for it so really glad it went well.

Advertisement