Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done Jamie. You can treat yourself to some pb pancakes in St Anne's this Saturday now. FBOT has volunteered to pay :)

Must have been a fair standard if that time only got you 54th. Glad I didn't show up :P

Sounds good P!

Yep the standard is really strong in this race, year after year... great to see it in fairness.

Hadn't realised how long since I updated here.

GT 5k as discussed further up. 16:54 I think , just outside the top 50, a PB if excluding last year's questionable distance. Tough work out, found km 2.5-4 particularly tough mentally and physically but recovered well in the last km to get under the 17 and help our team to second overall in the mixed category. Delighted with that, with another of our teams getting 5th. Something like 190 participants from bank of Ireland which is a superb reflection on the well being program in the bank.

Parkrun with the buggy as part of a 10 miler the following Saturday, managing a sub 20 which was nice. That weekend brought two weeks off to a close where I managed to get 16, 14 and 18 mile runs in . Happy with this as I normally just don't have the time.

Next up was the Race Series Half. Targeted 1:20. Why? Arbitrary figure really - no particular indicators that this was doable, but pb was 1:21 , and 1:22:18 or so was my latest HM, Tullamore Half last year. Conditions weren't great and the course isn't exactly flat. Joined up with a workmate and we went out together. Managed about 4 miles before he slipped back, our pace already behind. He caught up again at farmleigh at which stage I was struggling. He went on ahead though always in sight. Mentally now I wasn't great . Long story short, pace continued to slip and went right down as I was isolated on Acres Road. Held things together for 1:22:06 which is probably reflective of where I am at right now, with no structured training.

Workmate finished strongly for a low 1:21.

We will see what this means for a dcm target... probably another arbitrary number!

Killerz wrote: »
    Hadn't realised how long since I updated here.

GT 5k as discussed further up. 16:54 I think , just outside the top 50, a PB if excluding last year's questionable distance. Tough work out, found km 2.5-4 particularly tough mentally and physically but recovered well in the last km to get under the 17 and help our team to second overall in the mixed category. Delighted with that, with another of our teams getting 5th. Something like 190 participants from bank of Ireland which is a superb reflection on the well being program in the bank.

Parkrun with the buggy as part of a 10 miler the following Saturday, managing a sub 20 which was nice. That weekend brought two weeks off to a close where I managed to get 16, 14 and 18 mile runs in . Happy with this as I normally just don't have the time.

Next up was the Race Series Half. Targeted 1:20. Why? Arbitrary figure really - no particular indicators that this was doable, but pb was 1:21 , and 1:22:18 or so was my latest HM, Tullamore Half last year. Conditions weren't great and the course isn't exactly flat. Joined up with a workmate and we went out together. Managed about 4 miles before he slipped back, our pace already behind. He caught up again at farmleigh at which stage I was struggling. He went on ahead though always in sight. Mentally now I wasn't great . Long story short, pace continued to slip and went right down as I was isolated on Acres Road. Held things together for 1:22:06 which is probably reflective of where I am at right now, with no structured training.

Workmate finished strongly for a low 1:21.

We will see what this means for a dcm target... probably another arbitrary number!

I forgot to give a shout out to aquinn who happened to be marshaling/ volunteering at all 3 of the above events and was very vocal with her support! Thanks A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All the best Sunday J, have no doubt you'all nail your target, run well.

tang1 wrote: »
    All the best Sunday J, have no doubt you'all nail your target, run well.

Cheers tang... how's the mojo?

• Advertisement

Cheers tang... how's the mojo?

Getting there, 35, 37, 40 miles the past 3 weeks, will have 42 done by end of this week. The early season goal for 2017 is set in stone so something to focus the mind on. Thanks for asking.

tang1 wrote: »
    Getting there, 35, 37, 40 miles the past 3 weeks, will have 42 done by end of this week. The early season goal for 2017 is set in stone so something to focus the mind on. Thanks for asking.

Fair play - although I'm jealous of those weekly totals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Good luck on Sunday! Have a great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck tomorrow J, hope to see you on course if not maybe McGrattans. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck J!!! Hope to see you out there or after... have a great run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck Jamie.
    My prediction is safely stored in Ferris's phone.
    Prove me right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Intriguing! All the best, Jamie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

You're racing? not pacing? EEEEEKK another name for the tracker :pac: Best of luck J!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The very very best of luck J!

Thanks everyone. And best of luck to all of you who are running today. Preparations have been mixed... recent weeks have seen sick, unsettled kids and severe shortage of sleep. I'm going out to enjoy it today. If that means a pb, fabulous. If not, it's another Dublin Marathon to experience... and what an experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fabulous, congratulations.

Great running J, very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Super run Jamie.
    Looking forward to seeing how you get on when you train and get some sleep ahead of your next one :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Super run Jamie.
    Looking forward to seeing how you get on when you train and get some sleep ahead of your next one :D

Thanks P - that could be a few years yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done yesterday J, hope wasn't to early getting up this morning.

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done yesterday J, hope wasn't to early getting up this morning.

Cheers G. I'm 12 hours in now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good to see you the other evening, almost didn't recognise you in the muted colours, not your usual fluorescents! Congrats on a fantastic DCM, and possibly even more to come when you get back to 8 hours a night (it does happen, eventually :rolleyes:)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Good to see you the other evening, almost didn't recognise you in the muted colours, not your usual fluorescents! Congrats on a fantastic DCM, and possibly even more to come when you get back to 8 hours a night (it does happen, eventually :rolleyes:)

Thanks BG. I'll have to go for something more colourful than blue and red! That was my first run out after DCM, glad to get it out of the way. As for getting back to 8 hours the only danger is the expectation levels will rise :)

Ahhh I cant really be bothered writing up a report at this stage!

I had a great day out, felt really comfortable throughout apart from a couple of cramp threats late on in the race. Great to see so many supporters out there and people I hadnt seen for ages.

Dublin looked fab on the day, the marathon really is a great advert for the city.

As for my race, I set an arbitrary 2:55 target but really had no basis to believe that might work out. Next target was a PB (sub 2:58:17), then sub 3, then just to finish the race having enjoyed it.

Started off just ahead of the 3 hour pacers. A lot of early congestion but happy not to let it worry me. I sweated a lot over the first 4 or so miles, a fair bit of uphill, and i was slightly concerned that I may burn out as it seemed like a good bit of effort. That ironed itself out and I was in a good place by about 7 miles at the turn at Myos in Castleknock. All very smooth for the next few miles and out of the park, up to South Circular Road. Feeling good.

Had a bit of a lull around 12 miles as I began the dreaded Crumlin drag. Through half way in around 1:28, that would be on course for 2:56 but again, not too worried. Around 14 miles I started developing a stitch which didnt shift until about 17 miles. Still chugging along smoothly enough and no major hills to deal with just yet. On and on I went through Terenure and Rathgar. Counting down the miles now and figured sub 3 was well within comfortable reach. Took water all the time, had salt tablets approx every 30 mins and 4 gels throughout. Didnt touch the lucozade except for a small swig at Roebuck.

On up through Milltown and the sharp hill after that. Still feeling good turning up to Clonskeagh but boy that long slow drag to the bottom of the Roebuck hill is just soul-sapping. I'm starting to pass a lot of people here. Up to the top of Roebuck hill and let gravity do its work down Fosters.

Little tweak of cramp approaching UCD flyover that reminded me not to get carried away, with 3 miles to go.

Last water station at Merrion SC and the dreaded straight road in to the finish. Lost a few seconds on this, and felt that cramp again but managed to resist it and savour that last mile. The last half mile seemed to go on for ever, but eventually I got over the line in 2:56:46 - a 90 second PB.

Felt really good after - probably the best I've felt after a marathon. Knew I had given it everything I had but still enjoyed it all.

What a day. A great result off training that again fits around the rest of my life in the way that I need it to. Right now, I'm not in the frame of mind or body to go for sub 2:50 and beyond... I know I am capable, but off the back of what I am putting in to running, I am getting out what I need and am damn well thrilled that that makes me a 2:56 guy. DCM wasnt my main goal this year - the 24 Hour was. This was a beautiful bonus on top of that.

Pints galore afterwards and an exchange of war stories with so many from here who had a great day.

Not sure what's next... I've not signed up for anything. For the first time in a long time, I actually can't really decide what I want to do, and I'm not particularly motivated by any race... Good or bad, I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That's brilliant, J! Congratulations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

..... training that again fits around the rest of my life in the way that I need it to......

........ I'm not particularly motivated by any race... Good or bad, I dont know.

Great report all the same, and congrats on the result, and the 24hr. It was nice to meet you in McGrattans. I wish I could figure out the first part that I've quoted re: training, because it's probably the bit I find the hardest at times. I'm also in the same place regarding motivation. I'm sure it won't be long before something grabs our interest. I've registered for something for the sake of it, so that's a start I suppose.

Great report all the same, and congrats on the result, and the 24hr. It was nice to meet you in McGrattans. I wish I could figure out the first part that I've quoted re: training, because it's probably the bit I find the hardest at times. I'm also in the same place regarding motivation. I'm sure it won't be long before something grabs our interest. I've registered for something for the sake of it, so that's a start I suppose.

Likewise great to see you again... for our annual meeting! My wife gave me grief over not answering your question when you asked me how my race was... I was trying to give our conversation attention while ordering/ paying for a burger... it was a tough balancing act. Well done on your time and until next year... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Likewise great to see you again... for our annual meeting! My wife gave me grief over not answering your question when you asked me how my race was... I was trying to give our conversation attention while ordering/ paying for a burger... it was a tough balancing act. Well done on your time and until next year... ;)

I can't say I noticed - too much adrenaline still coursing through my veins and the sirens song of beer calling!! I was more interested in your marathon PB progression - it gave me quare notions altogether......

I can't say I noticed - too much adrenaline still coursing through my veins and the sirens song of beer calling!! I was more interested in your marathon PB progression - it gave me quare notions altogether......

Follow the notions!

• Advertisement

It's a shocking amount of time since I last posted in here... 2 months I think. Well I've not really had anything interesting to post on. Tipping away on 35-40 miles per week with average run length about 6.5 miles, usually a commute.

2016 was a terrific year for me. 50k PB in Donadea, the 24 hours in Belfast, marathon PB in Dublin, Wicklow Way Ultra and Wings for Life being amongst my highlights.

I did very few races overall, which is fine, and haven't togged out for anything other than a parkrun since DCM.

So what for 2017? Plan is to do Bohermeen in March and then Limerick in May. I'm not doing the 24 hour in Belfast this year. Might look at some pacing opps if they come around and some BHAA.

Wouldn't mind giving my mile PB (4:51) a rattle either, and I'm on 49 parkruns - one more would be nice. The twins are two and both myself and my wife have changed jobs in last month so running, while a big part of my life, has to fit around those things.

Wishing everyone all the best for 2017!

Advertisement