Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Killerz wrote: »
    It's a shocking amount of time since I last posted in here... 2 months I think. Well I've not really had anything interesting to post on. Tipping away on 35-40 miles per week with average run length about 6.5 miles, usually a commute.

2016 was a terrific year for me. 50k PB in Donadea, the 24 hours in Belfast, marathon PB in Dublin, Wicklow Way Ultra and Wings for Life being amongst my highlights.

I did very few races overall, which is fine, and haven't togged out for anything other than a parkrun since DCM.

So what for 2017? Plan is to do Bohermeen in March and then Limerick in May. I'm not doing the 24 hour in Belfast this year. Might look at some pacing opps if they come around and some BHAA.

Wouldn't mind giving my mile PB (4:51) a rattle either, and I'm on 49 parkruns - one more would be nice. The twins are two and both myself and my wife have changed jobs in last month so running, while a big part of my life, has to fit around those things.

Wishing everyone all the best for 2017!

Are you doing full in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Are you doing full in Limerick.

That's the plan, though I'm not yet signed up. You doing it?

That's the plan, though I'm not yet signed up. You doing it?

Was thinking of doing half, so might see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Shouldn't there be a separate parkrun milestone for buggy runs? :D

Good luck with your running year, no doubt plenty more PB's to come....

annapr wrote: »
    Shouldn't there be a separate parkrun milestone for buggy runs? :D

Good luck with your running year, no doubt plenty more PB's to come....

Thanks Anna. And there should defo be some sort of milestone for the buggy runs alright - I'd say at least 10+ of the 49 have been with the poo machines.

• Advertisement

Little update post. Working away, averaging 40 mpw, no real agenda around speed or anything, typically 6-7 runs per week. Recent highlight was 9 miles out to Howth with a friend of mine, into the Summit Inn for a pint, another 1.5 miles down the hill and into the Bloody Stream pub for lunch and a fine brace of pints. On the dart and home, and it only 3 o'clock!

Signed up for Limerick marathon - look forward to that now.

Shocking weather out!

1:23 odd in Bohermeen Half on Sunday. Again a reasonable return on low volume training over recent weeks so I cant complain. Was in good shape until about 8 miles where the lack of speed endurance caught up. Still leaves me in a good position to go for another sub 3 in Limerick, but we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice running. You following a plan Jamie or just ticking over.

Sub 3 off fartin' about is good going :)

Good stuff JK, don't want to feel pinch at mile 8 in Marathon, hope you find time
    for some decent LR's. Nice result Sunday.

Nice running. You following a plan Jamie or just ticking over.

Sub 3 off fartin' about is good going :)

Hi AMK, no plan really. Typically 5-7 miles per day which is one way or other to/ from work. Some days I will do both legs, and that could be on the back of running home day before. Changes according to work and other commitments.

Typical week might be:

Run home Monday, run in and home Tues, run in weds, run home Thur, run in Fri. Usually no runs at weekend unless a race or a parkrun, each of which are rarities!

So around 35-40 mpw

• Advertisement

Short update here. 3 weeks out to Limerick. Tipping away though suffering from a strain in my back over past 2-3 weeks which is affecting sleep, running etc.

Took the double buggy (with kids in it!) out for 9 miles yesterday incorporating Fr Collins parkrun (about 3 miles each way from home). Managed a reasonable 20:01 for that, to finish second overall. I was a good minute behind first place but regained second place with about a km to go after losing about 500m in due to child feeding issues. Very happy with this performance considering kids are almost 2 stone each now. And that marked my 50th parkrun, so happy days.

Looking forward to Limerick now, the aim will be to just go sub 3 I would say, unless I feel magnificent that morning and change my mind. Also signed up for Balbriggan Marathon in June and pacing 1:30 at RnR in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Short update here. 3 weeks out to Limerick. Tipping away though suffering from a strain in my back over past 2-3 weeks which is affecting sleep, running etc.

Took the double buggy (with kids in it!) out for 9 miles yesterday incorporating Fr Collins parkrun (about 3 miles each way from home). Managed a reasonable 20:01 for that, to finish second overall. I was a good minute behind first place but regained second place with about a km to go after losing about 500m in due to child feeding issues. Very happy with this performance considering kids are almost 2 stone each now. And that marked my 50th parkrun, so happy days.

Looking forward to Limerick now, the aim will be to just go sub 3 I would say, unless I feel magnificent that morning and change my mind. Also signed up for Balbriggan Marathon in June and pacing 1:30 at RnR in April.

You snuck that 50th park run in there very quietly wait till I tell Mrs KennyG she'll be disgusted you missed out on the pink feather boa.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    You snuck that 50th park run in there very quietly wait till I tell Mrs KennyG she'll be disgusted you missed out on the pink feather boa.

She ain't happy. Honestly, its very hard for me to plan the parkrun visits ahead and depend on a number of circumstances. Also didn't really want to make a big fuss, as I am not an attention-seeking kind of guy :cool:

She ain't happy. Honestly, its very hard for me to plan the parkrun visits ahead and depend on a number of circumstances. Also didn't really want to make a big fuss, as I am not an attention-seeking kind of guy :cool:

Bright orange tops, well polished smile, running with buggy into second place in 5k while feeding the kids, ill leave this one with you folks :D
    The only thing missing is the Boa.

It was the pink feather boa that had you running scared !!!!

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    It was the pink feather boa that had you running scared !!!!

You should know by now that I am very comfortable with pink!

You should know by now that I am very comfortable with pink!

True that :)

I don't think you'll get away with it that easily....

annapr wrote: »
    I don't think you'll get away with it that easily....

Yes, you were 100% correct.

Best Luck Sunday Jk, looks like you'll have TBL & TPFKA Tang running with you tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Good luck JK!! have a super run and ENJOY :pac:

Good luck this weekend J have a great run

Thank you all. And may I wish you all a wonderful weekend in your own endeavours, whatever they might be!

Thank you all. And may I wish you all a wonderful weekend in your own endeavours, whatever they might be!

We'll miss you in St Anne's J... best of luck in Limerick and don't forget to pack your pink... boa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck, have a great run.

Limerick Marathon
    31st place, 3:00:35 or thereabouts
    Marathon #33

Funny kind of day. PB was 2:56 from DCM last Oct. Had thought about going out at 2:55 pace but given windy conditions, felt it better to stick with pace group led by Dermot Cearns who is obviously vastly experienced and did a great job. I found the pace quite hot even as early as 5 miles. Long story short stuck with pacers thru approx 24 miles.

A few low points up to then but not having the endurance I expected that. Found the course overall quite hilly and the water station organisation fairly poor at times. Also a lot of bollards and kerbs, narrow sections to deal with.

At about 22 miles I was really feeling it. Having had a fairly dramatic collapse at a marathon before, this is always in my mind, especially when I haven't really done enough training. So at mile 24 I took the first of a few walk breaks. There was an out and back section around the Gaelic grounds up to mile 25 which was rough and I lost a fair bit of time here.

I was okay with that. Would have been nice to get in under 3 but didn't ultimately mean that much as unless I went under 256 it wasn't going to be a pb. If I hadn't gone sub 3 before, mentally I probably would have been able to stick with it.

Rather, on the positive side, it was a testing run, and again a decent reflection on where I am at. And to be fair, it is a massive return from the input I put in. I'm very lucky to be able to turn out a time like that, but clearly the lack of long runs in the end made the last few miles tougher than they needed to be.

Great to see Gk, Tang, tbl, bulmers and others knocking around at various junctures.

A fair few drags on this course and the last couple of miles have unwelcome hills. On balance, a good event, could do with a few tweaks to improve. Would love to give the relay a bash.

Well done J still a super time :)

Enjoying the warm weather at the moment. Some highlights from the last few weeks:

1. Spent 2 weeks in France. Met Tang. Ran with Tang. Drank beer with Tang. Went to Decathlon. Bumped into Tang in Decathlon. Spent some time with my family.
    2. Banged out a nice 19:22 parkrun with the buggy there three weeks ago after being out drinking pints til 3 the night before. Must drink more often.
    3. Nice win in the EOI Balbriggan Marathon last week. My performance was not one for the purists but disgustingly hot conditions and a few hills on the course put it into perspective. 3:23 for the win. 6 laps. Nice bit of banter with the EOI crew in my first race with them since 2015. Off to Ardgillan with the family after. Took me a lot of fluids to get me back to normal after.
    4. All booked in for London Marathon 2018. Looking forward to it.
    5. Pacing at parkrun St. Anne's tomorrow - should be a bit of craic.
    6. Wife has signed up to run the marathon. Worst of all, she is lurking and posting here on boards...

What's up next? Pacing RnR Half (1:30) and Race Series Half (1:40). Sub pacer for DCM. I'll probably do something interesting between now and then too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I wasn't stalking you I swear, nice win last week in that heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

3. Nice win in the EOI Balbriggan Marathon last week. My performance was not one for the purists but disgustingly hot conditions and a few hills on the course put it into perspective. 3:23 for the win. 6 laps. Nice bit of banter with the EOI crew in my first race with them since 2015. Off to Ardgillan with the family after. Took me a lot of fluids to get me back to normal after.

I drove past the course a few times, I don't think I saw yourself but everybody out there looked pretty wrecked in the heat :) - congrats on the win! Would you recommend the EOI races?

Advertisement