Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck Killerz! I'll be looking forward to your report, and any tips you'll have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Cheers Aimman, I might put the race report + some tips up on the Events forum afterwards - hopefully will be of some help to others contemplating the same thing. Now, all I have to do is finish the race!

Last post before my 50 miler on Saturday. Just hoping the temperature stays down (expecting mid-20's). I have taken much inspiration from HunnyMonster's exploits tho, and i know i cant complain when i think of the hard work she has put in.

Just two short sessions this week - 5.7 miles on Monday and 30 mins on the bike on Wednesday. Just been eating loads of things since then.

So, early out of work tomorrow and then set up camp for the weekend.

Race report will follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Best of luck with the race!!

Looking forward to the report...enjoy it ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Killerz,
    Wishing you an ultra successful ultra trail run on Sat. Enjoy your experince. Savage stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck (especially with the weather - your training takes care of the rest.) Looking forward to the report.

Sulphur Springs 50 mile (80.5km) Trail Race

Get a cup of tea and some biscuits for this one....

Background:

I had decided just before the Dublin Marathon in 2009 (my third marathon - 3:11:21) that I would sign up for the Connemara Ultra in April 2010. It was something that I believed I could do, and with a little hard work, would be achievable. So I put my name down. Fast forward to Christmas 2009 and myself and Mrs. Killerz made a decision to move to Canada for 18 months. I knew that I wasnt going to be able to come home for Connemara, so looked for an alternative, and discovered the Ontario Ultra Series (www.ouser.org). I saw a race at the end of May, of 50 miles. I figured I had an extra month and a half than I would have had in the Connemara event, giving me that bit longer to prepare for the extra c. 11 miles or so.

Training:

And so began training through a cold Irish Christmas and January and an even colder Canadian February and March, and a warm April and May. I tried to follow training plans, but couldn't really stick to them due to emigrating, weather, a couple of injuries which put me out for about a week each time and to some degree, a bit of laziness.

That said, I did train hard and with a gritty determination. My typical running week consisted of 4 or 5 runs, with 2 x 8-15 miles during the week at a fast enough pace (7-8 min/ miles), building up to longer runs at the weekend. My heaviest weekend was 23 miles Saturday and 15 on a Sunday. I really should have done 20 x 2 in prep for this, but just didn't do it. This was a mistake. I think my longest week mileage wise was about 65 miles. I am taking part in the 1000 mile challenge, and coming up to this, I was closing in on 800 miles for the year.

Events along the way:

To spice things up, I entered the 30km Around the Bay Road Race in Hamilton, Ontario in March, finishing in 2 hrs and 8 mins odd. Then, as I wanted some trail experience, I entered the Seaton Trail Race (supposed to be 52k, but ended up being 55k due to wrong turns, and a last minute increase in the lap distance) in mid-April. This I finished in 6 hrs 21 mins, and it was an invaluable experience. It was technical trails, 4 x water crossings, together with extreme weather and tough hills. This gave me a lot of confidence though, and was the longest single training run I did for the 50 miler. Next up, I wanted to cross the sub-40 minute 10k off my mind. PB prior to that was 40:24 at Great Ireland Run 2009. I entered the Sporting Life 10k in Toronto, doing well, finishing in 37:23. Perhaps another mistake - possibly should have done a longer run that weekend.

The 50 miler

The Sulphur Springs 50 miler is a trail race, taking in 4 laps of a forested conservation area about 70k west of Toronto. There are a number of events held, including a 10k, 25k, 50k, 50 mile, 100 mile and 100 mile relay races. Most of the competitors for the 50 and 100 mile camp at the start/finish line, as there is an early start (6am) and its just damn handy really.

So, up at 4.30 am, had a couple of buttered bagels, cup of tea and a banana. Geared myself up, chatted with a few others and we were off at 6am. Temperature at this stage was approaching 18 degrees celsius - heat was going to be a major concern today.

The course is 97% trail, with the balance on road for short bits.

I had a loose target of sub 9 hours.

Equipment:

I wore one of the power bar bottle belts (the 4 x 100 mil bottle type), leaving the bottles out, instead filling the slots with gels (Hammer Gel Raspberry and Cliff Gel Strawberry with caffeine), salt tablets and emergency tylenol. I also had a race number belt, which would make it easy to switch shirts if necessary. Long sleeve top, shorts, under armour visor, socks and went for the road runners for this one as the trail was not going to be too technical. I used bodyglide/ easyglide on the soles of the feet and usual areas which worked a treat. No blisters, no lost toenails. I carried a water bottle (c.600mls) that has a hand strap on it throughout the race, refilling it at every station. Timing was chip timing, with lap splits provided.

Lap 1 - 2:06:12

This lap went well. I started at a relaxed pace, chatting to those around me and just plodding along. It was lovely leafy forest, with fairly solid trail surface. there are some animal hills where you just have to walk, knowing that you have a long way to go - everyone does it. Lovely to hear birds chirping, see squirrels, chipmunks etc bounding around. This is what running is all about. Ran with some of the 100 mile runners (who were doing 8 laps) - interesting to hear some of the events they have participated in.

There were aid stations roughly every 2.5k - 3k and were well stocked on the first lap with water and HEED (electrolyte drink). I kept the water going in, but was sweating quite a lot, so drank the HEED as well. Took a gel around 1:30. I think most of us doing the 50/100 miler were conscious that the 10k (with c.200 people taking part in it) was kicking off at 8.15 am, and we wanted to get through the start/ finish and back out on the trail before the stampede started on the narrow trails. I managed to do this, getting through in 2:06. Mrs. Killerz was there with deckchair and my kitbag (which contained trail runners, hats, shirts, sunscreen, water, food, gels etc). I knocked back a salt tablet (e-load electrolyte disc), changed my t-shirt to short sleeve and off I went.

Lap 2 - 2:15:13

By now the heat was having a bigger impact. Luckily, most of the trail is under forest cover, but its still really hot and sticky. Thankfully though, sunburn is less of a risk. Was able to run with a couple of guys I kind of know from the race circuit, the three of us banging out the second 10k of this loop while chatting away. I was still feeling pretty okay, but towards the end of the lap was beginning to feel the tiredness.

Popped one of the caffeinated gels about halfway through this lap. By now the aid stations were stocking food - cookies, potatoes and salt, pretzels, jellies, sandwiches, crisps etc, so I started taking some small amounts of food aswell. I probably lost 30 secs to 1 min at each aid station due to stopping for fill-up of water and some food, but I'm pretty sure that this little rest each time helped me in the long run.

And so lap 2 drew to an end, three of us coming up to the start/finish line together. I stopped at my deckchair again. Another salt tablet, some pretzels, stocked up more gels and off I went for lap 3.

Lap 3 - 2:43:31

Popped another Hammer Gel about 10 mins into this one. The first 5k of this went okay, was feeling good, and still on target for a sub 9 hour effort. After leaving a guy I was chatting to until the 7k aid station, I felt a bit worse. By about 9k (c.50k overall), I had a wave of emotion come over me and felt like I had to just "get out". My mind was crushed and I was in bits. Perhaps dehydrated and under-nourished? I walked for a bit and drank back some water. I told myself I was dropping out and that I would finish at the end of 3 laps, and that c.60k would still be a great achievement. Temperature now 30 celsius +

After I went through the 10k aid station I met a guy who was also having a little trouble, caused by a problematic sciatic nerve. We talked a lot, and alternated running and walking and he told me of the c.40 ultras he had done in his life. This kept my mind off the pain a little, but my glutes and legs were in a world of pain. However, I think the mental pain was the worst. If I could have dropped out, I would have, but it would be faster to just get to the end of the lap. And so, a real slow lap ensued. The middle of the day sun was beating down and finding a way to punish me through the trees. I ate and drank plenty, and even drank some Coke in an effort to give me a spur. Had another raspberry hammer gel.

In the last 2k of that lap, I started to feel a bit better, but was 80% certain I was dropping out. The guy I was running with shook my hand and thanked me for getting him through the lap, but in all reality it was him that got me through it. I said to myself I'll go through the start/finish one more time and back to my kit bag for a bit. So I went to my deckchair and discussed my feelings with Mrs. Killerz. Against my better judgment, I sat down for 2-3 mins, but kept stretching. Had two salt tablets, ate some pretzels, changed into my Irish tricolour top and slapped on some sunscreen. Mrs. K encouraged me to do it. She said I had put in the hard work and that even if I had to walk the last lap, I should do it. And so I did.

Lap 4 - 2:48:59

This time includes about 5 mins I spent at my deckchair at the start of the lap as described above. I set off quite well, and was able to move along at a decent pace. Had a gel about 30 mins in. I met up with a girl that I knew from other races and the Canadian boards.ie equivalent. She was running the 100 miler, and was going at a good pace. We spent about an hour chatting through what was right and wrong with the world, and also marvelling at how she peeled a potato and ate it while running, before I pushed on at 10k (just over 70k overall) to try and achieve my new sub-10 goal. I had a new lease of life now, with 10k to go, and suddenly was feeling top of the world.

I kept up the water and had one last gel just after the 15k mark (75k overall) and pushed for home.

I sprinted the last 200m and came in in 9:53:53, absolutely delighted with myself. That was good for 25th out of 75 overall. Not the fastest time, and a good hour slower than I thought I would do. But you just can't forecast how you'll get on in your first one of these. I beat my own demons and achieved my own goal. I didn't break any records, but I did it, and not many people have done 50 miles.

I could not have achieved what I did without the support of the wonderful Mrs. Killerz who truly went over and above what a wife should do in supporting me not only for the event, but in everything leading up to it.

The race was won in 6:28.

After:

I ate pizza and drank the sweetest beers ever afterwards. We spent the evening sitting outside the tent chatting to other runners and watching the 100 milers go in and out on their laps. I felt for them as they went out into the woods in the dark, headlamps on - some would still be running when I woke up at 8am the next day. The winner of the 100 miler broke the course record to finish in something like 17 hrs 14 mins or thereabouts. Unbelievable to see him sprint-finishing. Inspiring to watch the never-say-die attitude of the 100 milers. They show some great steel and determination.

A truly well organised race, run in great spirit. Well stocked aid stations, really friendly volunteers and race directors, and a superb camaraderie amongst competitors.

Other stats:
    - 5 raspberry, one caffeinated strawberry gel consumed
    - 5 e-load electrolyte salt tablets
    - c. 10 litres of water, 1 litre of HEED, 1 litre of gatorade consumed, c. 500 mls Coke
    - 1 bag of prezels, 1 bag of crisps, handful of jellies, 4 or 5 choc chip cookies
    - 1 potato with salt
    - c. 6,500 calories burned

Race kit bag included nice technical tee and hat.
    CAD$65 entry fee (c. 55 euro)

Lessons Learned:
    - Needed more training
    - Half of the battle (or more) was in the mind
    - I think I'm better in 26.2 mile or shorter races
    - You can do anything you put your mind to

Now to rest for a few days before planning my September Boston qualification attempt.

Killerz

Great running Killerz, and congratulations. Excellent race report too.

I pick up quite a few tips there and some things I need to consider for my training.

Fair play to you for continuing on. Ultramarathons, IMO, are all about endurance, speed comes 2nd. The fact that you came to several points and wanted to pull out, but kept yourself going is a far bigger achievement then a new PB or even hitting your expected target, as there are so many factors and weather conditions you cant depend on.

It was great that the organisers laid on all the food along the way too, not sure what is planned for Dingle, but doubt if we'll be treated to Potatoes and Pretzels.

Enjoy the celebtraions and cool beers. A scientific report published recently says that rehydrating with 1 beer per mile run doesnt really help much, but is well deserved! lol.

Let me know how your recovery goes over the next few days. Well Done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done killerz,great race and race report....did u have any never again moments...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Hat's off to you killerz - only done one marathon but i'd love to aim for an ultra with a bit more training.

Seeing a log/Report like this gives me motivation :)

Best of luck in the Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

OMG, Absolutely great stuff there Kz. What a fantactic achievement. You had some grit to keep going when the chips were down and looks like you had an easier 4th than 3rd lap - sprint finish after 50miles - madness, well done.

Great report. You had me groaning on lap 3 - happy to see you pull it out. Hat's off to Mrs K. You are right about the mental part - it's the one thing you can't really train for. Congrats.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    ....did u have any never again moments...

Ha -yes. I'm still having it! Not sure if i'm cut out for this length of run

Tuesday 1st June

Recovery (from writing above race report :rolleyes:) going well. Did 16k on the exercise bike at a leisurely pace while reading the paper - 40 mins real gentle stuff to loosen out the legs. I feel better for it.

I think the trails are definitely easier on the muscles and joints though, as I think I have got over the worst of the pains (hopefully!)

Just to add to my log from last week:

Total miles: 55.7
    Total mileage this year: 843.76 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

After buying the book 'Born to run', ive started reading ultra logs on boards. They're Inspiring stuff to read. It seemed more of a mental battle than a physical one that you went through. Just thought id say well done on finishing your first. My brain couldnt comprehend running such distances!!

you're right - it certainly was a bit more of a mental battle i suppose. thanks for the well wishes!

I have a bit of Born to Run read, I just cant seem to get time to read it. Maybe i should have just got the audiobook.

the logs here are excellent inspiration alright - excellent reading.

Another interesting book is the title of this log - Running Through the Wall - its a collection of short ultra accounts/ experiences by ultramarathoners, can get it on Amazon.

Weds 2nd June

4 miles very easy with Mrs. Killerz; 40:58. Nice to run together for a change.

Starting to return to normality after Saturday.

Thursday 3rd June: 6.1 miles, 48:28
    Saturday 5th June: 4.6 miles, 32:42

Slowly getting back into it after the 50 miler last week.

Will kick off some proper training next week.

Total miles: 14.7
    Total mileage this year: 858.46 miles

Week ending 13th June

Family over here visiting this week, so training has been at a minimum.

2 x 6 mile runs and 2 x 9 mile runs.
    Nothing special, just keeping myself ticking over.

Took a bold step this week and ordered a Garmin 305. Looking forward to using that badboy.

Total miles: 30
    Total mileage this year: 888.46 miles

Week ending 20th June:

Mon: Some satisfactory work on the exercise bike: 20k in 40 mins, avg 100 rpm, avg resistance 8, then cooldown 1.8k in 5 mins. A good sweat.
    Tue: 7.7 miles, 52:20. A really good run. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good session.
    Thu: 10.25 miles, 1:19:22. Found this session tough going. Busy last couple of weeks with family visiting - a lot of beers and bold food.
    Fri: Garmin 305 arrived. 4 miles with the missus (she's training for a 10 miler), 39:29.
    Sat: 16.1 mile long run. Temperature close to 30. Heavy going, and longest run since the 50 mile ultra a few weeks ago. Got through it tho, averaging 8 min miles. 2:08:55.
    Sun: Short session. 4.67 miles in 36:50.

Will start standardising the distances now I have the Garmin and know how long I've run etc - makes more sense for comparison's sake.

Good to get back into the swing of things, training wise.

Total miles this week: 42.72
    Total mileage this year: 931.18 miles

• Advertisement

Week ending 27th June 2010

Monday: 7.9 miles with Mrs. Killerz as I help her out with training for her first 10 miler.

--Away in New York for middle of week - no training done :mad: ----

Saturday: 17 miles in 2:08:46. Good strong session. Decent hills taken in and some fast miles clocked. Rained the whole time.
    Sunday: 7.4 miles in 59:13. Tough going. Achilles tendons were screaming for the first 2-3 miles after yesterday's tough session. Got through it in the end.

Considering I was away for a large portion of the week, I used the remaining days wisely.

Closing in on the 1000 miles now, and closing in on the end oh H1 2010.

Total miles this week: 32.3
    Total mileage this year: 963.48 miles

Mon 28th June: 8 miles with Mrs Killerz - trying to help her out with training for the 10 miler we're both doing on 11th July. I almost get the same sense of satisfaction in helping her out as I do in a good training session of my own. Is pacing/ training where its at for me? 8 miles in 1:29:47. Mrs K's target: sub 1:40. Well Capable. More on my target later.

Tue 29th June: 40 mins on bike, 18.3k, avg resistance 7, avg rpm c.95.

Wed 30th June: 12.8 miles.

.5 mile warmup while trying to locate a satellite (can be difficult in Toronto, untimed.
    12.3 miles, average pace 6:49 min per mile, which is roughly what i'd have to run the marathon at in order to go sub3. A couple of the miles were at 6 min miles, with the rest between 6:30 and 7:30 roughly. Still have to set up the Garmin on my computer. Finished strongly though and am pleased with my workout. 10 miles was the real target, and I hit that in 1:07:19, which isnt far off a PB for that distance for me.

Very satisfactory workout.

Would love to do the 10 miler on 11th July in close to 60 mins, but that would mean 6 min miles x 10, and realistically would be nigh on impossible for me if i am to be honest.

20.8 more miles on the clock for 2010. Only around another 16 to go!

Well, I hit the 1000 mile mark today. After doing a 7 miler last night, I did 9.29 in stifling midday heat in Toronto, but was delighted to get there in the end!

Miles to date in 2010: 1000.57
    :):D

So, I must admit, the impetus was somewhat reduced after I hit the 1000 mark. However, I said I better keep it up or I'll get fat again.

5th - 11th July

Mon 5th: 9.15m in 1:12:46
    Tue 6th: 8.41m in 1:06:39
    Thu 8th: 5.24m in 38:56 - Last run before the impending 10 miler on Sunday.

Sun 11th: 10 mile race, toronto. 10 miles (10.07 on Garmin) in 1:06:33. Very disappointed with this. Had hoped to be a lot closer to the 60 mark. But still, the horrible humidity must have affected a few other people aswell, as that time was still good enough for 54th out of c.1400 people, and 10th in my age-group (25-29). So some solace must be taken from this.

Never really hit my top form on this one. Chalking it down to experience.
    Watched the world cup final with some pints afterwards. Got over it.

32.8 miles in total that week.

Tue 13th: Decided to try a morning run to avoid humidity. Nice time to go out running, but no avoiding humidity! 7.55m in 57:16
    Wed 14th: 15 miles, 1:57:38 - average 7min 51 sec miles. Would have preferred this to be more like 7min 30 sec miles, but happy enough nonetheless, legs are quite tired.

22.55 miles so far this week.
    1055.92 miles so far this year.

How do you reckon your recovery has been since the Ultra? Did you have any injuries or even a noted improvement in performance?

Killerz wrote: »

Sun 11th: 10 mile race, toronto. 10 miles (10.07 on Garmin) in 1:06:33. Very disappointed with this. Had hoped to be a lot closer to the 60 mark. But still, the horrible humidity must have affected a few other people aswell, as that time was still good enough for 54th out of c.1400 people, and 10th in my age-group (25-29). So some solace must be taken from this.

I'd cut yourself some slack on this. This has been a tough summer for running in this neck of the woods (August arrived in May and stayed) as the relative results show. As we were saying before humidity there is no real solution to humidity. Given your efforts earlier this year I would not take this too seriously (btw I'd take that time in a heartbeat !).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yeah, forgetting your time, coming 54th is a great achievement.. Well done

Aimman wrote: »
    How do you reckon your recovery has been since the Ultra? Did you have any injuries or even a noted improvement in performance?

Hi Aimman - good questions.

Recovery was fine. I felt ready to go out running after a shorter period of rest than I did with any marathon I've done. I think there are two reasons for this

(a) the speed was much slower and
    (b) the ultra was on trails - a little softer on the joints.

On the performance since - thats not clear to me yet. I think it probably improved me a little bit, but it is only when I do my next Marathon (September) that I think i'll know for sure. Certainly I have no problems getting the runs in (though I've only managed 30-40 miles per week since the ultra - mostly due to visitors being here).

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I'd cut yourself some slack on this. This has been a tough summer for running in this neck of the woods (August arrived in May and stayed) as the relative results show. As we were saying before humidity there is no real solution to humidity. Given your efforts earlier this year I would not take this too seriously (btw I'd take that time in a heartbeat !).
    smmoore79 wrote: »
    Yeah, forgetting your time, coming 54th is a great achievement.. Well done

Thanks guys, I have begun to feel a little better about it now. The humidity can't be beaten unfortunately.

• Advertisement

15th-22nd July

Sporadic time intervals now in my logs, but a lot of stuff going on at work and socially, so am keeping busy.

17th July: 10.52 miles in 1:23:39. Pretty nasty hangover for this one after a serious night out. But a good workout nonetheless. Friend of mine on the bike alongside. Not breaking any records, but enjoyable, strangely enough.
    19th July: 8 miles in 58:57 - average 7:22 min/mile. Comfortable - leaving a bit in the tank for a long run tomorrow.
    20th July: 20 miles in just under 2hrs 40 mins. Longest long run since the ultra. It was tough going. First time doing that length as an evening run. Got some really nice trails in for about 10 miles, but hit the city streets after that which was uninspiring. Bothersome foot the whole way through. Still though, average 8 min miles will do nicely for the moment, and 28 miles in 2 days.
    22nd July: 8.17 miles in 1:11:59. First 4 miles in 40 mins with Mrs. K. 4.17 miles in 31:59 on my own. Foot really sore towards the end.

Foot is niggling at me. I think I may have strained it on saturday. may rest up for the weekend now... where better to do that than Miami... oh ya! :cool:

1102.61 miles so far this year.

Advertisement