Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Week ending August 1st

Just keeping ticking over this week as we had visitors to Toronto.

2 good midweek runs - 10 miles: 1:09:56 and 16.77 miles in a very slow 2:15:14. Wasnt too worried about time.

2 other runs (3 miles in Miami and 10.86mi on Sunday) brings it up to a total of 40.14 miles for the week. A good return, hopefully can build on that this week.

Total miles this week: 40.14
    Total miles this year: 1142.75

Log catch up....

I'm falling well behind with my logging, but have kept up the running.
    Have got a couple of decent weeks in, but then a low mileage one this week just gone, as 3 of the lads were over visiting from ireland and a lot of beer was consumed to say the least....

Anyhow, since the last post, did a 55.88 mile week, which included a 20 miler (which was tough going) and a half marathon distance training run, which I did in 1:35:56, which I was pleased with at the end of the week.

The week just gone (ending today), only 3 runs were done - of 7.53, 9.03 and 5.74 miles, so a total of 22.3 miles. Gonna try and push out 45 miles in the coming week, to include a 20-21 miler somewhere along the way.

Hoping to get 3-4 x 20 mile+ runs in the next four weeks, before a 2 week taper for Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

Total miles this year: 1220.93

Week ending 22nd August 2010

Tue: As I was working late on Mon night, decided to do a double today. 7.07 miles in the morning before work - definitely not a good time for me to go running. 54:26 or avg pace of 7:42 min/mi. 10.02 miles in the evening in 1:15:41, avg pace of 7:33 min/mi. Got some serious hills in and some speed intervals. Excellent session.

Wed: 8.21miles. Thought this was going to be much harder than it transpired, but it went well. Time was 57:35, average pace of 7 min miles. A great few days' work.

Fri: As the 1st wedding anniversary was coming up on Saturday, had to get the long run in this evening or there would be no second wedding anniversary! The weather has got a lot less humid over the past week and hopefully thats a good sign with the marathon 5 weeks from today. Anyhow, the weather helped with this run, and I got a 21.21 mile run in at an average pace of 7:56 min miles, totalling 2:48:22.

Sun: Cheeky little 7.5 miler in today, 55:59. Brings the total for the week to 54.01 miles. Well pleased with that. A couple more decent weeks like this now and i'll be well placed for a revised target of 3:05 for the Toronto Marathon on 26th September.

Total miles this week: 54.01
    Total miles this year: 1274.94

Week Ending 29th August, 2010

Monday: 10.07 miles, 1:15:09. Not a particularly fast run, but enjoyed getting the 10 in nonetheless.
    Wednesday: 2 runs today - 7.42 miles before work (58:20), 7.75 miles after work (57:44).
    Thursday: 5 miles. Garmin battery ran out, not too sure of the time, but around 35 mins I think.
    Saturday: 20 miles in really hot weather. Struggled through this one. 2:44:38

Total miles this week: 51.14
    Total miles this year: 1326.08

Week ending 5th September

Monday 30th Aug: 8.01 miles, 1:00:10;
    Tues 31st Aug: 11.5 miles, 1:25:20 - ironically a faster pace than yesterday's run even though the distance was longer and humidity was high.
    Weds 1st Sep: 40 mins on the stationary bike in the gym. A good workout, but nothing too manic to be honest. Got to read the paper at least.
    Thu 2nd Sep: 16 miles. Found this tough, felt quite tired, maybe after 3 days of workouts. 2:04:18 - average pace of 7:46/mi. Not too bad I spose.
    Sun 5th Sep: 10km hike with Mrs. K in Algonquin on a trail rated difficult. Suggested time for completion was 6 hours. We did a fairly good pace, making it round in 2 hrs 30 mins, a little bit of running put in there for good measure!

Total miles this week (Mon, Tue and Thu only): 35.52 miles
    Total miles this year: 1361.60

3 weeks to the Marathon. One decent training week, and two week taper.

• Advertisement

Week ending 12th September

Mon 6th Sept: 6.00 miles in 38:23 - a speedy session. enjoyed it.
    Tue 7th Sept: 10.75 miles in 1:14:40. Another pretty fast session, also quite enjoyed this one. Good to know there's a bit of speed in the legs.
    Thu 9th Sept: 6.55 miles in 47:03 - nice easy paced run.
    Sat 11th Sept: 20 miles in 2:37:29 - possibly my best ever long run, just hoping I didnt put too much into it. This is my final LSR run before the big event on 26th Sept. Got up at 6am and was on the go for 7am.

Beautiful morning in Toronto, hit some new urban trails (well, new to me), so avoided traffic for the most part. A lot of ppl out doing what I would say was their last LSR for the marathon also.

I would say no fewer than 30 squirrels were spotted on my run today, and also a chipmunk (Alvin, I think).

There is also a second toronto marathon on Oct 17th, so a lot of ppl probably out for this too. I will be a pace bunny for that one - doing a 3:40 pace at Run 10, Walk 1 min split.

Total miles this week: 43.3 miles
    Total miles this year: 1404.90

2 weeks to go to the marathon. Long range weather forecast is mid-teens. I hope that's in or around where it ends up on the day. that would be nice!

In non-running related-ness today, I saw a guy listening to a walkman (tape player one) yesterday evening - those old sports ones, that were yellow

Mon 13th Sept - Taper time starts. 7 miles. Roughly 7:30 min miles. Nice.
    Tue 14th Sept - 40 mins on exercise bike reading the paper followed by jacuzzi. gotta love the taper!

Must start getting used to training in kilometres rather than miles, and adjust the garmin alerts as its all measured in km here for the Toronto Marathons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry, I just checked - you were running this weekend. I meant to wish you well but I got my weeks messed up. How did it go ?

Hey - no its this weekend actually, but thanks a mil, and I'll take your well wishes and transfer them to this Sunday - the 26th!

Tapering away now.

Last longish run at the weekend - c.10.5 miles, 6 miles on Monday, 35 mins on the bike tonight and 5-6 miles tomorrow evening.

Then the 3k "International Friendship Run" whatever that is on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for Sunday at the Toronto Marathon.

Don't forget to wear an Irish top on the International Freindship Run ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck at the weekend killerz! Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Could be a marathon to add to the plan if it's a good one. Make sure you go out hard in the 3k Friendship run, and try to elbow anyone that tries to get past you. There are no friends, only enemies you haven't met yet. :)

Killerz wrote: »
    Hey - no its this weekend actually, but thanks a mil, and I'll take your well wishes and transfer them to this Sunday - the 26th!.

Ooops - sorry. Somehow I got the idea there had been a marathon in Toronto last week. Looking forward to the report - this race is just close enough to be a candidate "local" for me. Training looks good - that last LSR looks like you're peaking at the right time and the weather for Sunday looks reasonable. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luick with the Marathon on Sunday Killerz. Is Toronto a generally flat course, or will there be any challenges to watch out for?

Looking forward to the report.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Sunday. Look forward to the report, this one might be worth putting on my list of things to do!

Macanri wrote: »
    All the best for Sunday at the Toronto Marathon.

Don't forget to wear an Irish top on the International Freindship Run ! :)

Cheers - got the connemara one at the ready for the friendship run. was gonna go for my tricolour top, but I'm convinced that that is out to get me after what felt like the top sliced off my left nip the last race :eek: probably too much info...
    .... Make sure you go out hard in the 3k Friendship run, and try to elbow anyone that tries to get past you. There are no friends, only enemies you haven't met yet. :)

I'll remember that one. maybe i should wear spikes for that.... eliminate the competition... Best of luck to you in Berlin also!
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Ooops - sorry. Somehow I got the idea there had been a marathon in Toronto last week. Looking forward to the report - this race is just close enough to be a candidate "local" for me. Training looks good - that last LSR looks like you're peaking at the right time and the weather for Sunday looks reasonable. Best of luck

Cheers, defo a local one for you, report will be forthcoming in due course!
    Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luick with the Marathon on Sunday Killerz. Is Toronto a generally flat course, or will there be any challenges to watch out for?

Looking forward to the report.

Supposed to be flat.... couple of minor rollers in the 3rd quarter I think. I think the main challenge could be the wind coming off the lake, which can be unpredicatable. Having said that, I have run all the components of this course
    at least once, so it should be okay. Other than that, the main challenges I face are keeping up with the Kenyans and Ethiopians :rolleyes:
    Best of luck on Sunday. Look forward to the report, this one might be worth putting on my list of things to do!

Cheers. If you're interested, there's a live web-feed, starting around 12.30pm on Sunday (race begins 7.30 am toronto time). This may conflict with the Berlin MArathon, which I also believe is being webcast....

Address is through the homepage at:
    http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/index.htm

Thanks for all the well wishes! Out for 5 or so miles now, just to keep loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

def looking forward to this report...all the best killerz, give it socks :-)

3:06:51. More details to follow over next day or so.......
    :)
    :D
    :p
    :cool:

3:06:51.

Congratulations K ! Great result - you've earn it.

Sub 3 next ....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Fantasic. You'll have to give me a complete "How To... Guide" to achieve a time like that! :D

Enjoy the celebrations in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

3:06:51. More details to follow over next day or so.......
    :)
    :D
    :p
    :cool:

Great stuff, delighted for ya, well done ! :)

• Advertisement

I'm not one for short race reports, so here goes:

This was my goal race for H2 2010 (the 50 mile ultramarathon in May being my goal for H1 2010), so I was determined to ensure that my preparation was as good as possible for it. Originally, in early 2010, and even coming into early summer, I had planned on trying to go sub-3 in this race. However, a summer filled with visitors incorporating a visit to ourselves into a Canadian Holiday together with high temperatures (humidity made it feel like 40 celsius for a lot of the summer) meant that I revised my target to a Boston Qualification at worst (3:10:59) or 3:05 at best. I didn't want to blow up on this race, as this would be my best opportunity to qualify for Boston, as I will be based in North America until at least August of next year, and obviously it will be cheaper to travel from Toronto than from Dublin. My previous PB was 3:11:21 in DCM 2009, however, I had put in some good performances since then - other than the 2 ultra-marathons, I did the Around the Bay 30k (where I ran with a very painful foot) in March in 2:08 and a 10k in early May in Toronto in 37:23.

My friend Peter (PB 3:23, Connemara 2010) and his girlfriend arrived over on Friday and we did the International Friendship Run on the Saturday, carb-loading then on the Sat evening. Friday's temperatures in Toronto were record highs for September ! and then Saturday was shockingly windy. But the Gods smiled down on us on Sunday morning as we got nice temps of just under 10 degrees and little or no wind, and the sun shining.

Slept well on both the Friday and Saturday night, which was unusual, but most welcome! We breakfasted at 5.30 am and left my apartment at 6:45 am for a 7:30 start. It was a cold morning and I was worried about hanging around in and freezing in my barely-there ensemble. It was a 10 minute walk to the start line. Thankfully, there was a Hilton Hotel right at the start, so we were able to stay warm by standing in there prior to the race. At 7.20 we headed out into the corral and we were all off at 7:30. We tucked in behind the 3:10 pacer. The start was fairly crowded, and it was tough to stretch out early, as while the marathon only had c.3000 starters, there was also a very popular half-marathon taking place (c.7,500-8,000 starters), which started at the same time at the same place. Things started to thin out by 4k, where I started to move ahead of the 3:10 pacer. I put about 1:30 mins between myself and the 3:10 pace group over the first 10k. I hit 10k at 43:59 (chip time), and was in good shape. The course involved a couple of out and backs, which actually worked out well, as we could see the battle for the front at one stage, and I also saw Peter and the 3:10 group a few times. Mrs. Killerz was in support at around 19k. As water was distributed in cups for this race, I asked her to pass me a bottle of water at 19k so that I could sup on that for a few km, just in case i wasnt getting enough in. I was approaching where she was and putting my hand out for the bottle, but she had forgotten! I just went on - no big deal. Then I see her running along beside me with the bottle, which I grasped to the sound of "Good Hustle" from a girl running beside me. Kept the bottle and worked my way through it for about 4km.

Hit the half-marathon 21.1k mark in 1:33:03, still on course for a 3:10, with some space to spare. I took a gel just before that point, just to keep on top of things. Still feeling good, and running a relatively even pace. From 21.1k to 30k (all measurement in km in canadian races), there isnt much to see - its kind of industrial/ harbourfront lands. Nonetheless, I pressed on and was happy to get through and hit the 30km checkpoint at 2:12:28. Each time I hit these checkpoints, a text message was sent back to Mrs. K to track my progress, so she wouldn't be stuck in a coffeeshop or be busy chatting to someone about the latest happenings in Jersey Shore or the like, as I rolled past in the background. I gelled again at 30k. I knew it was almost the home stretch at this stage. There was a 6km out and back along a lovely villagey-residential area, which had a few little rolling hills also. Everything a-ok, great support etc.

Just after the 36km marker, I got a stitch unfortunately, but kept running through it. At 37km, I think a mini-wall hit me. I got a sudden cramping in my calves and a wave of nausea came over me. This happened me before in the ultra. I panicked a little, stopped and walked for 30 seconds and then carried on. I was ok. thank god. I calmed myself down - I knew I had hydrated well, and had taken enough gels and gatorade, without overdoing it on any of them. What caused it? I dont know. But it didnt impact me really, save for losing c.30 seconds overall, so I'm so glad of that.

There was a bit of a lonely section between 37 and 39k, then over a humpback bridge at 39k, through the 40k checkpoint in 2:57:06. Feeling ok at this point, but tiring fast. Took a sponge which was on offer at 41k - strange place to have it, but I had to look good for the finish line cameras! The last stretch was along a slight uphill along Bay Street in downtown Toronto and was about 900m-1k long. This was tough, but there was good support. Around the final bend by the Town Hall, and home in 3:06:50. 21st Male age 25-29, 108th male overall and 136th position overall. I'll take that!

My friend Peter came home after the 3:10 pacer, but got a chip time of 3:10:59 - how funny is that? One second later and he would miss Boston Q! We didnt know til later that afternoon when we checked the chip times - he thought he was out by 5-10 seconds. Now that is economical racing! He also gained 12 minutes from his last marathon in April 2010!

The organisation was great, the aid stations (certainly for me being relatively far ahead of the peloton) were well stocked and well-marshalled. The supporters were excellent - they print your name on your bib, so the supporters cheer u by name! The medal is lovely, nice Brooks race-t-shirt, goodie bag not great.

Overall, would give the race 7/10 vs Dublin 8 or 9/10.
    Why dock 3 points? Kms 21-30 are very poor. Toronto has some good scenery, they could do with changing up this bit. Also, the crowd support was sparse in places - a 7.30 am start on a Sunday wouldnt be appealing to the most ardent supporter, mind u!
    What makes Dublin better? Better crowds, a little bit of a better time of year, drinks in bottles.

I'd doubt its a patch on Chicago, NY, Berlin etc, but then, not very many are and a comparison would be unfair. This is more in league with Dublin, maybe the likes of Amsterdam, Edinburgh - that type of race. I'm glad I did it, it will doubtless get bigger and better, and I would recommend it.

The winner defended his title, coming in just under 2:08.

My photos are here (i'm in all black):

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=63213&BIB=2598

Next up: Toronto Goodlife Marathon, Oct 17th: I am the 3:40 pacer. A new challenge.
    2011 Plans: Boston, 100 mile ultra, Chicago and hopefully NY.

Congratulations ! Good recovery after the cramping anmd you nailed the BQ with a good margin for error. Might see you in Boston and/or NY next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're smiling in nearly every single photo. Obviously not trying hard enough!
    Congrats on the new pb, which has got to be a launchpad at some stage for you know what! Enjoy the pacing gig.

Cheers guys.... sub 3.... sounds dangerous.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great stuff Kz, well done. You fairly nailed your target. Sub 3 all the way for you - no sweat problem.

Mrs K must be fairly nifty at the running, being able to catch up with you and give you the water, fair play to her. Mrs M would need to do some training first! As Krusty said you look like you enjoyed yourself. Congrats again.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congratulations ! Good recovery after the cramping anmd you nailed the BQ with a good margin for error. Might see you in Boston and/or NY next year.

Cheers, the cramping/ whatever it was frightened me, but thankfully it passed.
    I'm still on the fence regarding Boston - the wife probably cant make it - i'm not sure whether to just head down there for a couple of days, do the race and come back up or wait for another time. Flights are cheap enough from buffalo i spose.....

I'm leaning towards doing it anyhow....

Been a while since I updated this log just to keep track of my mileage. I'm pretty much smack bang in the middle of the 3 week period between the two Toronto marathons now. Did a decent 10 miler on sat and a decent 10k this evening, but still feeling the tiredness. No harm - that could hold back my pace a bit for pacing duties on the day.

Anyhow, since the last posting of mileage (was up to 1404.9 by 12th September), I have clocked up 89.18 miles (including the marathon of course).

So,

Total miles this year: 1494.08.
    Aiming to hit the 1500 mark at least by the end of this week.

Hitting 2000 for the years wouldnt be a ridiculous concept when I think about it.
    However, the plan is to tail off the running from mid-October to December, doing a bit more cross-training, giving the legs a little bit of a rest.

Well, the pacing gig went okay today. The job was to run 3:40 marathon but at Run 10min/ Walk 1 min intervals. As there was a continuous 3:40 "pace bunny" aswell as my run/ walk option, I was worried if anyone would go for the 10:1 option. As 3:40 is I think the BQ time for the youngest female age group, I felt most of them would want to run continuous. Nonetheless, I was going to do my job, and do it well.

So, my pace was to be 4:55/km (vs 5:12 for the continuous pacer) in the running phase, slowing down to about half that or close to it for the walks. I had a core group of about 6-10 people from about 5k - 30k, which dropped off considerably at the end. Got home in 3:38:40 ish though, possibly a little bit fast, but that time was in the bank from the half way mark. Something to learn for the next time... and better a little fast than too slow!

I think I kept spirits up and did a good job - shouted out the splits and banked time and we had some good banter with supporters etc. Think we may well have got on TV aswell.

Oh ya - had to wear "bunny ears" the whole way around (photos to be posted when available).

Overall, this marathon was not as well organised as the other Toronto Marathon 3 weeks ago - a lot of car traffic (ie only half roads closed off in places, not great support. Arguably a better course though (autumn colours in Canada are something to be savoured) and the medal is 5 inches in diameter.... ridiculous... you could eat lunch off it.

I enjoyed the pacing though - watch out when I get home - there must be a pace balloon with my name on it!

Time to take a break now... maybe a spot of ice skating?

EDIT:

I am on TV after all!! National TV in Canadia!

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101017/goodlife-marathon-101017/20101017/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Just after 1:04 on the video - just behind the reporter - yelling at her.. I'm the tall guy with the sign, red t-shirt, bunny ears!!
    If you watch the rest of the report, you'll see how much Torontonians dont like traffic disruptions!

Kz!!!!

Just catching up on the log now... not much activity over the past week - did just over 10k on Saturday, which was my first bit of exercise since the marathon last Sunday.

Since the last update, I've put in an additional 54.63 miles (with 26.2miles being in the marathon).

So, to date this year, have done 1548.71 miles if my calcs are correct. All going well, should come in at a total of c.1800 for the year, as I plan on reducing mileage a good bit for a while.

Wish I was doing DCM tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Really have to scold myself for lack of keeping my log at the moment. But there is somewhat a lack of focus in my training at the moment. Dont really have any races on the horizon til March, and am quite happy to be just plodding along a little bit.

I got my confirmation for Boston, which is good news. So, am really looking forward to that. Will have a couple of 5k's in March and April as the build up to the Boston Marathon, which will be nice.

58.18 miles since the last post, pretty much spread out over 3 runs a week. I've also done a gym session or two per week. Was in Vancouver on hols aswell and got some nice running in there.

So overall, just ticking over. Nice 13 miler today... lovely crisp weather for it!

1606.89 miles so far in 2010.

Advertisement