Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Through The Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Killerz wrote: »
    I am on TV after all!! National TV in Canadia!

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101017/goodlife-marathon-101017/20101017/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Just after 1:04 on the video - just behind the reporter - yelling at her.. I'm the tall guy with the sign, red t-shirt, bunny ears!!
    If you watch the rest of the report, you'll see how much Torontonians dont like traffic disruptions!

Kz!!!!

Hey ... just seen this now .... very cool ! The reporter seems a bit surprised. Really not sure about those ears though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Hey ... just seen this now .... very cool ! The reporter seems a bit surprised. Really not sure about those ears though:)

Ya, certainly not convinced by the ears. Easy to recognise me I suppose, though!

Nice run today - 7.5 miles, 54:28. A few hills in there for good measure. Weather was a bit cold - time to start thinking about layering up more significantly.

That brings to an end a decent week overall: a 5 miler on Monday, 13 miler on Thursday and 7.5 today, together with two gym workouts (35 mins bike + core/ weights work).

Adding the 7.5 miles from today to the previous post's total, that brings me to 1614.49 miles for the year.

With such a long break til my next planned race (c. 4 months from now to March next year), I've been thinking a bit about races and goals for H1 2011. Here's where I've got to so far:

March:
    Achilles St. Patricks 5k (mid-March, Toronto); Target 17.45-18:00 - Depends on weather (can be windy);

Early April:
    Spring Run-Off, Toronto; Target as above, more difficult course.

Mid April:
    Boston Marathon: This one's for fun. Target of between 3:30-4:00 i'd say.

Early May:
    Sporting Life 10k: Depending on how Boston Marathon recovery goes, would like to take a good shot at taking 30secs-1min off last years' time (37 odd mins).

Late May:
    Sulphur Springs 100 mile trail race. This is the 100 mile version (or 8 laps) of the 4 lap 50 miler I did in 2010. I had mentally tough parts in that 50 miler, which I think I can learn from. Target is 24 hours, pending all conditions being good.

There are a couple of other things in the back of my mind too:

- A sub3 marathon
    - Another pacing gig
    - Chicago and/or New York Marathon in the Autumn

But these could be things to focus on after the 100 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Looks like you have the first half of the year sorted.

I'll be interested in seeing how your training will go for the 100M race in May and get some tips from it.

Aimman wrote: »
    Looks like you have the first half of the year sorted.

I'll be interested in seeing how your training will go for the 100M race in May and get some tips from it.

I'll be interested to see how it goes myself :rolleyes:. I'm still humming and hawwing a bit about that one. 100 miles would be some undertaking.... lets see how the spring training goes!

• Advertisement

Week ending 21st November 2010

A good week's work overall. Still just doing "ticking over" mileage really, keeping the belly off!

Tues: 6 miles - 45:23 in horrible weather. Freezing rain and high winds. No gloves. Won't be making that mistake again.
    Weds: 55 mins gym session - 35 mins bike, 20 mins weights and core work.
    Thu: 8 miles - 1:01:46 - nothing remarkable about this run. Was better wrapped up for this!
    Sat: Took a wrong turn on what was supposed to be a 13 miler, making it into a 17 miler. Had a long day on a business trip the day before and enjoyed 5 beers that night. So it was a slow start. Basically took a run one mile, walk 30 secs for the first 10 miles and then just ran the rest of it. Still came in in 2:15:37 (that includes the walk breaks - ie the clock was running all the time), so I must have been making decent ground on the run portions to maintain 8 min miles.
    Sun: 45 mins gym session - 30 mins bike, 15 mins core and weights work. Nice round off to the week after seeing the local NBA team, Toronto Raptors surprisingly beat Shaq and Garnett's Boston Celtics by a point.

Overall, 31 miles even this week, 1645.49 miles this year. I'm getting tired....

Week ending 28th November, 2010

Mon: 6.1 miles, 43:52. Fairly speedy session in retrospect. Went okay.
    Tue: 50 mins exercise bike and 20 mins core/ strength work in gym.
    Wed: 10.04 miles, 1:14:48. Enjoyed this 10 miler. Felt a bit of tiredness though - a lot of workouts over past few days.
    Thu: 45 mins ice skating. Didn't fall = always good.
    Fri: 6.4 miles, 49:45.
    Sun: 8.35 miles, 1:07:58. Not a very enjoyable run. Very tired.

Productive week overall in advance of the Christmas eating season which is almost upon us.

Total miles: 30.89 miles this week, 1685.38 miles this year.

2 weeks ending 12th December 2010:

Still ticking over through the silly season. Not doing any great distances really, just trying to keep the beer and food fat at bay!

47.87 miles over the 2 weeks.
    3 of which were on a treadmill-didnt enjoy that.
    Nice 14 miler on Saturday, but otherwise, have been averaging 6-8 miles.
    Also 2 x gym sessions per week - 30-40 mins on bike/ x-trainer and some weights/ core work.

1730.25 miles to date this year.

Home to Ireland for Christmas on Friday. Looking forward to it!

The c.3 weeks to 31st December 2010:

Wound down the year with a lot of Christmas parties, drinking and eating. Sure why not?

Last significant run of the year was 12.55 miles on Friday 17th December. Filled a lot of time with bike, cross trainer and weights work in December. Returned home to Ireland for 2 weeks for Christmas on 17th December and got back to Toronto on 2nd Jan. In the time I was home, I was struck down with a serious flu for a week, so my running was limited. Overall, I only did 4 x 35 minute runs, just about keeping things ticking over. 3 of the 4 runs were very tough as I suffered from a nasty cough which had me spluttering through the runs.

Overall, since the last post, there was only a total of 6 runs (2 in Toronto: 7.86 miles and 12.55 miles and 4 in Ireland of 4 miles each). Also a couple of gym sessions in this time. Overall though, not much done. Maybe good for my body to get a rest.

Miles since last post: 36.4
    Total running miles in 2010: 1766.65 :)

The 1766 odd miles represents a very satisfactory return for 2011. The mileage was largely front-loaded to the first 9 months of the year, as I really tapered down at the end of 2011 due to the fact that I don't have any races for a while.

Posts to follow over coming week with more detailed targets for H1 2011 and beyond!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Week ending 9th January, 2011

First week of the year went well, c.42 miles in the bag - nice way to start!

Mon (3rd): 10.65 miles - first significant exercise since mid-December - 1:23:48
    Tue: 6.22mi - 45:29.
    Wed: Gym - bike 45 mins, weights and core work.
    Thu: 8.13 miles. So very cold - 1:08:11
    Sat: 14 miles miles, 2:22:33 - 2/3 of this run was through fresh snow, up to about a foot deep in places, compacted and uneven terrain in others. -17 degrees meant the tube on my camelpak kept freezing aswell, all of which contributed to a slow time. Invigorating, but slow. Funniest thing was seeing people x-country skiing on the trails aswell!
    Sun: 3.1 miles - 22:56 - very slippery conditions, but still a reasonable time.

Overall, some great time put in this week. No records broken, but what can you expect from 1st week after Christmas, seriously cold and sometimes slippery conditions.

Miles this week/ this year: 42.1

• Advertisement

Midweek update:

Mon: Gym - 30 mins bike, about 20 mins weights, core work.
    Tue: Pretty stiff after the gym the day before. 8 miles in 58:38 - great return after a few days of tough running/ gym work. Very, very VERY cold.
    Weds: Day off training. Dentist. :eek:

Killerz

Week ending 16th January

Thu: 6.04 miles in 46:46
    Sat: 16 miles in deep snow, fresh snow falling all the time too. 2:25 mins. Very tough going. Glutes and ankles totally wrecked from the unstable terrain.

May do a short run or a gym workout later on today.

Total miles this week: 33.58
    Total miles this year: 75.68

Above totals now updated for a cheeky little 3.54 miler in 24:40 on Sunday afternoon. COLD.

Week ending 23rd January:

Mon: 6.7 miles, 53:39. Fairly average run.
    Tue: Gym: 45 mins bike intervals, 20 mins core.
    Weds: Gym: 35 mins x-trainer, 15 mins core/ strength.
    Thu: 11 miles, 1:28:49 - very cold and icy, slowed me right down.
    Sat: 18 miles, 2:34:30. Average 8min 30 sec miles, which is slower than I want to be at, but the cold was absolutely ridiculous. -20 or so, camelpak freezing up, and water turning to ice on my shorts (which were worn over tights). Ice on my mittens aswell. Never run in weather that cold for such a prolonged period of time. Great to get it in though.
    Sun: Extreme cold weather warning in Toronto: -20, but feels like -33 due to wind-chill. No way I was going out in that for 4.5 miles to round me up to over 40 for the week. So, I hit the dreadmill, did 4.7 miles in 33 mins - did 7 x 400m intervals at 6 min/mile pace, with recovery at 8 min/mile pace in between, up to 4.5 miles, tailing off considerably for final warmdown. Then gym for 15 mins for some weights.

Very satisfactory week, both for running and gym. Weather will be the key factor in my training over the next few weeks.

Total miles this week: 40.4
    Total miles this year: 116.08

Week ending 30th January:

Tue 25th Jan: 8.13 miles, 1:02:28. Fairly standard run.
    Wed 26th Jan: 6.52 miles, 51:37. Found this quite arduous, felt the bones creaking a bit.... time for a break!
    Fri & Sat 28th and 29th: 2 days' skiing - probably c.4-5 hours total actually moving on skis (vs going on chairlifts etc). Really felt I got a good workout though - as my technique isnt great, I was tensing various muscles a lot so as not to go too fast, possibly burning more calories. Drank a few beers and ate a lot though!
    Sun 30th: 8 miles in 55:34 - avg pace 6:57/ minute. Tough workout, a lot of speedy unofficial intervals, and very very cold. A nice round off to the week!

Not a huge amount of running done, but plenty of fitness work!

Total (running) miles this week: 22.65
    Total (running) miles this year: 138.73

Week ending 6th February:

Mon: 6.6 miles, 48:34 - mid level run.
    Tue: 8.02 miles, 59:20
    Thu: 10.65 miles, 1:23:40, avg 7:51/ mile. Happy enough with this, as had a big night out the night before.
    Sat: 20.00 miles, 3:07:55, avg 9:24/ mile. Tough conditions for a long run, slippery etc, so slower than typical long run. That said, I was chatting away to a friend of mine who joined me for c.15.5 miles, so we weren't trying to break any records time-wise. In fairness, time on feet meant more to me on this one than doing 20 miles in fastest time possible.
    Sun: 5 miles, 40:21. Rounding off the week!

Substantial week, mileage wise. Happy with that - first 50+mile week of the year. The shorter runs are giving me encouragement speed-wise: average pace of c.7:30/ mile, in very cold conditions, often on snow/ slush/ icy footpaths.

The next few weeks will need to include intervals as I work towards a sub-18 minute 5k effort on 13th March.

Total miles this week: 50.27
    Total miles this year: 189.00

The shorter runs are giving me encouragement speed-wise: average pace of c.7:30/ mile, in very cold conditions, often on snow/ slush/ icy footpaths.

The next few weeks will need to include intervals as I work towards a sub-18 minute 5k effort on 13th March.

With your weather I feel like a wuss ! Your post on my log reminded me I had a question : how are managing the road surface on faster runs ? Are you doing anything special in terms of shoes ? The transition from clear road to snow to ice prevents me getting any kind of momentum going without breaking my neck. (Mind you 7.30 is close to my PMP!). .

pgmcpq wrote: »
    With your weather I feel like a wuss ! Your post on my log reminded me I had a question : how are managing the road surface on faster runs ? Are you doing anything special in terms of shoes ? The transition from clear road to snow to ice prevents me getting any kind of momentum going without breaking my neck. (Mind you 7.30 is close to my PMP!). .

I'm sticking with the runners (Brooks GTS 10), rather than adding spikes or anything. Maybe the footpaths are cleared a little better here - not sure? I certainly am still holding back a bit and perhaps running a little more flat-footed with higher knee-lift if that makes sense. May not be the best for running form, but I feel there's less chance of slipping if I'm pushing off the slippery surface at a kind of right angle, rather than an acute angle. There is always the odd slippery surface to contend with, but nothing like I experienced back in Dublin a year or so ago.

Week ending 13th February

Cannot believe we're this far into 2011 already - crazy. Only 4 weeks now to the first race of 2011 for me - The St. Patricks Day 5k here in Toronto. This one starts literally across the street, and finishes in a brewery. I mean, what could be better. I'm hoping to come in somewhere under 18 minutes. I think anything faster would be a serious bonus. I havent tested myself at 5k since December 2009 - c.18:40 (I think) in Jingle Bells, so that will be interesting.

Summary of this week:

Mon: Gym - 40 mins on bike and 20 mins gym - weights, jacknives, and some exercises while balanced on a hemisphere-ball-thingy. Challenging!
    Tue: 8.05 miles, 1:02:36. Very cold.
    Thu: 8.00 miles, 1:02:41 - obviously slightly slower than Tues. Standard 8 miler before heading to the ice hockey. Maple Leafs lose... again.
    Sat: 21 miles, 2:56:03. Average pace 8:15 mins/mile. Weather was decent enough (-2 or so), but still negotiating snowy trails which is adding to workrate and slowing me considerably. Very satisfactory run though.
    Sun: 6.23 miles, 45:37. 7:20min/mile - a good return considering it was the day after 21 miles.

Another good week. Still not getting in speed runs really though. A little bit of fartlek action, but I really don't know where I am in terms of positioning myself for the short races of Spring 2011.

Total miles this week: 43.28
    Total miles this year: 232.28

Week ending 20th Feb:

Shocking amount of time since I've caught up on my log. But here goes.

Tue (15th): 8.11 miles, 1:00:18
    Wed: 8.41 miles, 1:03:25
    Thu: 6.65 miles, 47:46
    Sat: 20.01 miles, 2:53:33. Slow going. Not really too enjoyable. Very slippery, icy conditions.
    Sun: 7.08 miles, 53:10.

Total miles: 50.26 miles

Week ending 27th Feb:

Step back week, running wise:

Tue (20th): 8 miles, 59:34. Felt a bit tired and weary on this run. Happy this week was going to be a quieter running week.
    Wed: Gym session - 40 mins on the bike, 20 mins weights.
    Thu: 6.76 miles, 48:44
    Fri: Gym session - 40 mins on the bike
    Sat: 15 miles, 2:03:10. Nice to do a reasonably long-long run on a Saturday without taking too much out of me.
    Sun: Meant to go running, but cried into my beers watching Carling Cup Final.

Total miles: 29.76 miles

Nice calm week from a running perspective, feel like I have built up some good strength, with 2 weeks to go to the first race of the year!

Total miles this week: 29.76 miles
    Total miles this year: 312.3 miles

• Advertisement

Week ending 6th March:

The most miles done I would say since autumn last year.

Mon: 6.22 miles - 44:15. Surprisingly enjoyable run after a particularly socially-taxing weekend.
    Tue: 10 miles in 1:13:16. Decent 10 miler, with some strides built in for good measure.
    Weds: 8 miles in 59:17.
    Thu: 6.41 miles in 47:23. Laboured run. Probably the first time ever I have run 4 days in a row, and I felt it.
    Sat: Horrible wet day - serious Irish rain, with ice on the ground. Friend joined for 14 miles taking the edge off, and stopping me turning around early. Nearly lost the footing a few times. Laboured through the final 4 miles to hit a round 20.0 miles in 2:48:39, or average of 8:26/mi.
    Sun: 15 mins on the ex-bike and 30 mins on the treadmill. 3.4 slow miles done on the mill.

Step-back week coming up ahead of the 5k on Sunday.

Total miles this week: 54.03 miles
    Total miles this year: 366.33 miles

Week ending 13th March:

A significant step-back week:

Tue: 40 mins on the bike, 20 mins weights/ core.
    Wed: 15 mins on the bike, then 3.8 miles on the dreadmill in 25 mins.
    Fri: 6.36 miles in 46:15.
    Sun: St. Patricks Day 5k (3.1 miles), Downtown Toronto. Tough enough course with the wind and cold - 18:33. A PB by about 10 seconds or so. Not quite the sub 18 or so that I was hoping for - perhaps that was too unrealistic. Was it due to the fact that I wore a green wig that I was that slow?

Anyhow, first race of the year, and a satisfactory result. 29th place overall out of over 1500 people.

Total miles this week: 13.26 miles
    Total miles this year: 379.59 miles

Midweek check-in, 16th March:

Mon: 8.25 miles, 58:34. 7:06min miles, which is decent enough after Sunday's exertions, both in running terms and beer terms.
    Tue: 12 miles, 1:29:15. Felt the tiredness in the legs after the past few days, but enjoyed this. 7:26/mi pace. Gunning for the 50 mile mark this week, started well with 20.25 miles in 2 days.
    Weds: 40 mins bike and 15 mins weights. Nice to take a break from the running for the day. May chance a swift morning run tomorrow, as there could be a beer or two in the afternoon to influence me! :D

17th-20th March

Thu 17th: 6.56 miles - 47:23. A before work run, for the first time this year. Really don't like running this early, but you can't beat the smell, sights and sounds of the world at that time of the day. And it being Paddy's day, its always safe to get the workout in before the pubs open... just in case ;)
    Sat: Yes, I did go and do the dog on it on Paddy's night, which definitely affected my 18.45 miles (2:28:45) on Saturday morning. Lovely day for a run and everything, but a week of excess was catching up. Not a bad time - averaging 8:04 minute miles, but didn't do the 20+ miles I had planned.
    Sun: 5.16 miles easy in 40:40 after yet more beers last night. Didn't dress warm enough for this one - made it uncomfortable. Spring, Spring, where are you?

So, in a week where I had 3 hangovers (which I really am not proud of), I somehow managed to accumulate 50 miles+!

Total miles this week: 50.42
    Total miles this year: 430.01

. Spring, Spring, where are you?

+1 *Sigh*

Week ending 27th March

Tue:10.7 miles in 1:17:15 on a fairly hilly course... probably good Boston prep. Enjoyable run.
    Wed: A lot of snow overnight :eek: so hit the gym - 45 mins on the bike and 25 mins on the treadmill (including 3.1 miles/ 5k in 20:28), overall run - 3.7 miles.
    Thu: 8.02 miles. 1:01:40.
    Sat: A pleasant 20.27 with a number of hills and issues with the camelpak freezing over due to subzero temps. Nonetheless, a good result 2:38:50 or 7:50 min/mile.
    Sun: Slow enough 6.62 miles in 48:55. Feeling yesterday's run in the legs. Beautiful crisp blue sky day, albeit -3 celsius!

Decent running total this week, as effectively, it was only spread across 4 days' real running.

I've decided to opt out of the 100 miler at the end of May and instead focus on bringing my marathon time down to the sub3 mark in mid-May (Goodlife Toronto Marathon). I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could try 100 miles in 2 months time, I've not nearly enough training done at this stage.

Sub 3 will be a big ask too, but I'm gonna give it a shot, and go out at that pace. If I blow up, I blow up, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Total miles this week: 49.31
    Total miles this year: 479.32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Good luck with the sub 3 attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I think that's a wise decision, and I think you have it in you to do a sub 3.
    Once the weather breaks, the runs will go a lot easier. I've been following Daniels A plan, and I would recommend you take a look at it.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    I think that's a wise decision, and I think you have it in you to do a sub 3.
    Once the weather breaks, the runs will go a lot easier. I've been following Daniels A plan, and I would recommend you take a look at it.

Cheers. I think the Boston Marathon (just running a 4 hour pace at that) will have some bearing on schedule and plans, but I must have a look at Daniels. I think i'll need to have the stars aligned etc on the day for everything to work, but i'm gonna give it a lash. No better place to attempt it than when the marathon is on my doorstep.

• Advertisement

Training Log: Week ending 3rd April

Tue 29 Mar: 6.65 miles, 51:15;
    Wed: 10.38 miles, 1:15:42. Enjoyable run;
    Sat:

Harry's Spring Run Off 5k Race, High Park Toronto:

Nice weather for this one, good to get out in the shorts and short sleeves. Around 2000 competitors for this on a rolling hilly course, with one sharp descent and one tough 200 metre incline at the end of the course.

Finished 16th overall, or 2nd in my age group of 30-34, which got me an award (medal). 3.14 miles on the Garmin (0r 5.05km) - 18:56 - not a pb, but not a pb course. Still though, first podium (of sorts) finish ever!

Sun: 4.16 miles recovery run. Tough enough run, still feeling the effects of the race yesterday.

Total miles this week: 24.33
    Total miles this year: 503.65

Just over the 500 mile mark for the year, with just over a quarter of the year gone. Can I do 2000 miles this year? Maybe!

Advertisement