If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Plasmas & shipping issues

Options
  • 28-11-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

**EDIT** - this thread is somewhat a non-issue anymore - I have decided to not bother with the Plasma - I just can't convince myself to go with the risks. I don't want to have to deal with someone over in the UK and have issues with repairs/warranty etc. And given that we will be moving probably 2/3+ times within the life of the TV (we rent and end up moving about every year to get better deals :P) I don't want the hassle of potentially damaging it during moving. I just need to do some pondering on which of the philips to get.

Hey guys. I know this isnt directly related to the Richersounds shop but I figured I would ask you for your opinions on this as you guys have stated that you do not deliver most plasmas down south, so you will have some experience with this.

As some may have seen from some posts here I have been looking at getting a new tv, and keep going to and fro between plasma and lcd. I love the philips TV I have and I really like the Ambilight effect. However, for the type of use I'm going for (majority blu-ray, some ps3/360 gaming) and the low IR issues the Panasonics seem to have, I believe a Plasma will be slightly better for my uses.

Here comes the problem. If I were to buy a 50" G10 locally it will cost me 1500 euro. And then if I want them to deliver it to my apartment (which is a 10 min walk away) they will charge me another 50+ euro. This to me just seems like a collosal rip-off. I have found one or two UK retailers that will ship to Ireland, and that would work out to about 1150 euro. However, I am then stuck with the delivery issue. If they ship the TV from the UK and it turns up damaged, I will have a whole load of hassle getting it sorted out and most likely be weeks without the tv or the money.

So, basically, how big an issue is the shipping plasmas one? How likely would you guys say a delivery would be to be damaged? And finally, is the tv even worth the 1550+ euro I would end up having to pay for it to actually get it locally?

All of this will basically go out the window if I can somehow convince someone to drive up with me to the north, as I could buy one from you guys and collect it. But the only people I could really do that with live in dublin, so would have to drive up, then down to me in cork, then back to dublin. Thats a lot of driving around on their part :/

I'm having such a hard time convincing myself to just buy the plasma locally (the GF keeps telling me to just buy it as I can afford the extra) as it feels like im being robbed. And the fact that I know I will love a philips if I get one makes it a tough choice. While I'll love the philips, will I love the g10 more!?! Hopefully when I'm up in dublin in a week or so, I will be so wowed by the 9series that I need not worry about this and can happily spend all my money ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

how you got on with the panny? did you got or just lookin forward ? i'm in the same boat and no answers as much

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GirRobot

I have decided to go with one of the philips tvs now. I saw them instore on Monday and they both impressed me. The 9664 looked amazing, but to me the 8404 seemed like it was better performance to price ratio. They both paled in comparison to the cineo screen though :O that is one sexy tv. The difference not having the black borders on a movie makes is incredible. If I could afford one of those, I would get it. Unfortunately my buidget doesn't stretch that far so I'm going to end up ordering the 47 8404 when I get paid in a week or so.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Gir,

Apologies for the awful delay in getting back to you!

Ok the position we are in at the moment regarding shipment of Plasma is that we are looking for a new courier - we currently use DPD and they are great on general products but they appear to have taken a displike to Plasma as we have had a huge damage rate on Plasma deliveries and DPD refuse to insure our Plasma shipments (great confidence in their own abilities??).

This leaves us in the situation that on Plasma we can only ship to either the greater Belfast or Dublin areas as we have to use our own guys to transport the kit and this of course limits the number of transactions we can do (until we source a reliable delivery contractor)

On the 8404 - I agree that bang for Buck - it's a great deal (especially with your Philips Shop Boardie discount ;) which I hope you mentioned when you were instore) It has NET TV and AMBILIGHT and is a really cracking unit - the ony problem with them is trying to get hold of them as they are critically short stocked at the moment!

Again apologies for the delay in getting back to you and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

John Mc & crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Just to let ya know getting the panasonic plasma g10 or v10
    is def worth the hassle, mine has 5 year free warranty, unreal picture,
    i could go on but i wont, tis not the place

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.