Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Northern Ireland

Options
  • 28-11-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

This question may have been asked before, but does anyone know how many Licensed Firearms there are in the North, i.e Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, if so could they be listed here please.

Sikamick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

Why would you want to know?

Surely under the freedom of information act you could find out from the PSNI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

whats wrong with asking this on boards, have they got a bigger american gun culture than us,simple. did any of the shooting organasations up the north come south and speak about their gun laws. we wait for them to change their drink laws before we change ours. forgot, this is ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think I got those figures around the time of the hullabaloo about pistols here. If you search on this forum, you might find them.

Failing that, Google is your friend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmniaf/67/6705.htm

while primarily concerned with personal protection hand guns, also took account of the small number of hand guns - then 2000 guns, or 1.5% of the total number of licensed firearms in Northern Ireland - held for sporting purposes. The Secretary of State took the view that sporting users of hand guns should also be enabled to retain their weapons, in view of "the excellent safety record of local target shooters and their clear commitment to maintaining the highest standards of personal behaviour and practice within their sport".

northern ireland 1.742 million people (2007)
    southern ireland 4,459,300 million people (2009)
    2000 handguns licensed in northern ireland, 1700 in the republic, roughly 2.5 times the population of the north. ie our 1700 would be roughly 5000 to have what they have. compare us to the north of ireland and all what they have, on the same island and we are not even close to the number of licensed firearms per population.

http://www.br-pc.co.uk/links.html

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmniaf/67/67ap07.htm

that was 2002. for obvious reasons, handguns are off the agenda for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There are a considerable number of personal protection handguns in the North, not sure of the exact number but ten thousand jumps to mind for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

rrpc wrote: »
    There are a considerable number of personal protection handguns in the North, not sure of the exact number but ten thousand jumps to mind for some reason.

I had the same figure, probably from the same source and I can't recall it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

between "11,000 and 12000" in 2002.

from my link above

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    whats wrong with asking this on boards, have they got a bigger american gun culture than us,simple. did any of the shooting organasations up the north come south and speak about their gun laws. we wait for them to change their drink laws before we change ours. forgot, this is ireland.

The last person to ask me a sililar question was a reporter from the letterkenny post, if he wants to try to dig dirt on shooters then I'm certainly not going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Traumadoc wrote: »
    between "11,000 and 12000" in 2002.
    from my link above

It's often quoted to be around 10,000 to 14,000 PPW permits in Nothern Ireland but a recent FoI request shows that there are just above 3 thousand:

www.psni.police.uk/firearms_applications_ppw.pdf

BTW, is it possible in NI to license a long gun for personal protection so not all of these 3334 guns are handguns?

Anyway, was there such a significant reduction of PPW permits since 2002 or was it just another piece of misinformation from the Gun Control Network back then just to make things look scarer then they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Slav wrote: »
    It's often quoted to be around 10,000 to 14,000 PPW permits in Nothern Ireland but a recent FoI request shows that there are just above 3 thousand:

www.psni.police.uk/firearms_applications_ppw.pdf

BTW, is it possible in NI to license a long gun for personal protection so not all of these 3334 guns are handguns?

Anyway, was there such a significant reduction of PPW permits since 2002 or was it just another piece of misinformation from the Gun Control Network back then just to make things look scarer then they are?
    Yes it is, because I know of one instance, but in practise I'd imagine 95%+ are handguns for obvious reasons.

Chairman

258. Does the research you were talking about correlate the incidence and the frequency with the level of control in the countries concerned? I put this question because of course the level of gun control in Northern Ireland is quite different from that in England and Wales and is very much stricter. If you are therefore comparing a country like the United States, where there is practically none in some States, it is not a fair comparison to make with a country where in terms of legal firearms there are very strict controls and the police have their finger on the button.

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmniaf/67/2112008.htm

Secondly, Article 28(4) of the 1981 Order may disadvantage citizens of the Republic of Ireland who are in possession of Firearm certificates issued in that jurisdiction and who require use of a firearm for vermin control on farmland owned by them which straddles the land border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
    It is the Chief Constable's view that he should consider applications for firearm certificates only from residents of Northern Ireland and the owners of farmland whose holdings straddle the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

CONCLUSION

Against the turbulent background of terrorist campaigns and public disorder over the recent decades, the provisions of the Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 have provided the Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland with adequate safeguards and controls. The overriding priority of the Police naturally has and will continue to be that of public safety. To this end and the firearms licensing regime was arguably more stringent in Northern Ireland than in the remainder of the United Kingdom. It is recognised however, that as we progress towards "normalisation", the Police must continue to carefully balance the overarching need for general public safety with the reasonable expectations of firearm holders. As with the public service as a whole, underlying this approach is also the need for greater accountability and transparency in our decision making process.

It is against this complex backdrop that any new firearms legislation within Northern Ireland must be framed so as to ensure the Chief Constable is fully supported and empowered to effectively discharge his duties and responsibilities to both legitimate users of firearms and the wider public.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Interesting reading PJ, I think we are living in the wrong part of the country.

Would I need an export license to move me and the family up north.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

Sikamick

you would be given a restricted export license, one way:D
    look for some
    farmland whose holdings straddle the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sikasmicke

Sikamick wrote: »

Sikamick

Want a lift, there are a lot of people who would be glad to see the back of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Moderator post in For Sale & Wanted.
    Ref post # 19 of 20/4/09
    "No need for the scarcism!"
    "remember ignorance is no defence!"

Ref post # 22 of 20/4/09
    "you deteriorated the advice to being smart and cocky"

Sikasmicke - Pot/Kettle/Black !!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sikasmicke

LB6 wrote: »
    Moderator post in For Sale & Wanted.
    Ref post # 19 of 20/4/09
    "No need for the scarcism!"
    "remember ignorance is no defence!"

Ref post # 22 of 20/4/09
    "you deteriorated the advice to being smart and cocky"

Sikasmicke - Pot/Kettle/Black !!!!!

:rolleyes:

You his boyfriend or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

LMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

sikasmicke wrote: »
    Want a lift, there are a lot of people who would be glad to see the back of you!

How are you cousin, did you get the barrel wagon back is it on the halting site.

The Real Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

sikasmicke wrote: »
    Sickasmicke banned for a week for personal abuse. A repeat performance will result in a permanent ban. Isn't it enough that we're being kicked from outside, for crying out loud?

• Advertisement
Advertisement