Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery Grips - Faster shooting?

• 28-11-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

So with the new D700 all but to be arranged (i.e. awaiting loan money to come through), I'm begging to wonder about putting in for a battery grip too. Is it true that they can help a camera 'take pictures quicker'? Surely the quality of the memory card would be a more important factor? And if so, how does it work?

I'm just asking, because lately I've noiced how shooting in Raw at live gigs is far more beneficial for me. Many people say you shouldn't as it's too slow, but if I had a batetry grip, wouldn't it even it out? (i.e. shooting jpeg vs. shooting raw with a battery pack?)

Any imput would be helpful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    So with the new D700 all but to be arranged (i.e. awaiting loan money to come through), I'm begging to wonder about putting in for a battery grip too. Is it true that they can help a camera 'take pictures quicker'? Surely the quality of the memory card would be a more important factor? And if so, how does it work?

I'm just asking, because lately I've noiced how shooting in Raw at live gigs is far more beneficial for me. Many people say you shouldn't as it's too slow, but if I had a batetry grip, wouldn't it even it out? (i.e. shooting jpeg vs. shooting raw with a battery pack?)

Any imput would be helpful!

Nikon's work in weird way,In general battery grips don't speed up shooting,But on the Nikon D300(I think)If you add a battery grip the FPS increase from 6 to 8 FPS,Something to do with a chip in the battery grip..

But I think the battery grip on the D700 has no affect..

As for the quicker memory card,All images are written onto the buffer first(quick memory) and then transferred from there to the memory card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have the D700 and battery grip. The frame rate goes from 6fps to 8 fps with the battery grip only if you use the alternative EN-EL4, or EN-EL4a or even the 8 x AA batteries. If you wish to use the higher power EN-EL4 type battery be sure to also order a BL-3 battery cover.
    I purchased a generic batterygrip and battery and it works superbly for me.
    If you have any questions I will be only too glad to answer if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Actually the grip on the D700 does increase fps from 6 to 8 as long as long as you have the appropriate battery power in it. It'll run at full whack with 8 AA's in it or the D3 battery on board.

The annoying thing is that if you buy the D3 battery, you need to buy a charger and a special battery cap to make it work. Fortunately someone has realised the stupidity of this and if you google 'phottix cosmo' there is a solution ready made for the mbd grip.

I really like the way the grip balances up my D300 and I've had a go of a D700 and the same holds true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Wouldnt use the D300 without the grip, extra speed, life and much nicer balance to it

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I have the D700 and battery grip. The frame rate goes from 6fps to 8 fps with the battery grip only if you use the alternative EN-EL4, or EN-EL4a or even the 8 x AA batteries. If you wish to use the higher power EN-EL4 type battery be sure to also order a BL-3 battery cover.
    I purchased a generic batterygrip and battery and it works superbly for me.
    If you have any questions I will be only too glad to answer if I can.

LOL typing on the phone is too slow! Phottix Cosmo still works though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you are going to buy generic grip and battery there is a guy in Poland selling them on Ebay, or as Dakar says above, Phottix have a nice grip and battery also.
    Dakar ,good point on the charger.

Just be careful with generic grips, phottix's own grip won't accept the kosmo battery pack. I went with the Nikon grip and the phottix battery.

Advertisement