Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours dog

Options
  • 28-11-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Sooo.... living somewhere new and I have a cat. Neighbours dog is HUGE and chases my kitten: this annoys the c*ap out of me but look I know dogs chase cats etc... but I got in way of dog today and dog clawed all down my back... and snapped at me. now I'm afraid to let cat out (and me because god I'm petrified of dogs!) and there is so many kids around neighbourhood. Is there anything thing I can do to keep cat safe? Or make dog uninterested in cat?? SO frustrating don't want to upset neighbours!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cyning wrote: »
    but I got in way of dog today and dog clawed all down my back... and snapped at me.

Dogs have been shot for less.
    Their dog did that to you and you're worried about upsetting them??

I'm not saying you should you but some people would go to the garda station after that and could get the dog destroyed.
    Oh don't quote my post and hate me for contemplating that a dog should be destroyed but what happened you is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I am so petrified of dogs though maybe I was overreacting slightly? AND i just bought a house and I really don't want people to hate me? The neighbours saw dog running at me and only came over to get dog when I screamed loudly. Like a girl. (which i am but still) (they live opposite me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Is the dog free to roam the area or is it inclosed?

There's people with more knowledge of this than me but should dogs be only on the owners property unless it's on a leash?

It roams around... if they aren't allowed out except on leash that would make my life easier :)

It roams around... if they aren't allowed out except on leash that would make my life easier :)

You could ask them (politely) to keep the dog on there property with the reason that your afraid of dogs, I wouldn't bother saying anything about the kitten.

• Advertisement

After a little bit of googling I found this
    Stray Dogs

Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. Dogs that are not under proper control are also considered stray dogs. You can receive an on-the-spot fine if your dog is not under proper control. Stray dogs may be seized by the dog warden and the Gardaí and brought to the local dog pound. These dogs may be put down or disposed of if their owners do not claim them within 5 days. If your dog has strayed or is missing, you should contact the local dog pound directly to check whether or not your dog has been picked up. Before you pick up your dog, you will have to pay a re-claim fee and produce a current dog licence. If you do not have a current dog licence, you must obtain one from your local post office before collecting your dog.
    Bye-laws

Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. Your local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area. Breaches of these bye-laws relating to dogs in your area can result in fines on summary conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I would certainly approach the neighbours about the dog jumping up and scratching you.
    As regards your kitten you'll have to keep it in if you don't want the dog to chase it, in fairness why should your cat be allowed wander but not the dog???

Only way to keep cat safe from dogs is to keep cat in. If a cat gets chased by my dogs in my garden it's tough luck in my book. But they're not allowed out to wander and I hate cats in my garden so I don't stop them chasing cats in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

My understanding is you can't let your dog wander on public areas/roads unless they are on a leash as previous poster has pointed out. So your neighbours are breaking the law. So you can contact the dog warden with the description of the dog and the household where it should be. I don't know if the warden will keep your details confidential as you are in a new neighbourhood, perhaps other people here can advise you about that because that is your greater concern here and understandably so too. You are perfectly within your rights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

There are no restrictions on allowing cats to roam freely, but dogs must be controlled. I have a 13yr old cat who is regularly chased by dogs, (including one of my own) I understand how you feel OP, but in fact cats are so smart and alert that they VERY rarely get caught by dogs. I know its scary but if the dog doesn't catch your kitten in the first few weeks, chances are he never will. My cat is so confident that she actually teases the dogs for a chase, as for the dog jumping on you and clawing at you, I would definitly have a word with the owners, thats way out of order, what if he did that to a child? ask them in a nice way if they are concerned that their dog may knock down a child while running about unleashed. I'm not suggesting knocking on their door to have a chat, thats way too confrontational, but if the dogs is running about the street and the owners are outside have a wander over for a casual chat and mention it, chances are that the dogs owner has no idea that you're scared of dogs or that you're afraid the dog will hurt your kittie, if however the dog owner doesn't give a sh!t about your concerns, ring the dog pound and report the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Eventhough there are no restrictions on cats, kittens especially should not be allowed outside and if possible be kept in as house cats, between traffic, dogs and sometimes very cruel kids and adults there are too many dangers out there for cats these days. There are alternatives to allowing cats to roam.

Saying that a word with the neighbours is needed if the dog is wandering out unsupervised they can't have the dog under effective control if they aren't watching the dog constantly etc.

If you value the kittens life though, do keep the kitten in at the very least until the dog situation is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I don't think it's fair to say that cats are 'rarely' caught by dogs gypsygirl, it happens more regularily than you imagine. I have 6 dogs and they work as a pack to chase an intruding cat and have often caught it. Thankfully I was at home and able to tell the dogs to let the cat go.

If a few wandering neighbourhood dogs team up together then cats stand a large chance of being caught. Keep the cat in, regardless of whether the law says it can wander or not, it's not safe to do so

I did hear lately (probably here) about cat runs, the cat can go outside but can't get in harms way.

Regardless of if your going to keep the cat inside or out, I do think you should have a little talk with the dog owners but as someone else said keep it casual, in just mentioning it kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

How long are you in the area? In the time that you've been there, was this the first incident of him jumping up at you to get at the kitten? Is the gate open or did he squeeze out through a hole in the fence? Do you think the dog snapping at the kitten you were holding rather than at you?

And did the owners apologise or make any comment to you when they came over to get the dog? Their attitude towards the situation may give you some indication of how they'd react if you said something.

It can be a difficult situation: the last thing you want is for your kitten to get hurt, but you also need to remember that you will be living beside/opposite your neighbours for the foreseeable future, so you don't want to strain relations with them.

I'm only here for two months and we bought so don't want to make a big deal... we used to keep cat in entirely in old house and she was miserable. She cried all night long so keeping her in would make her miserable. When the neighbours came over they didn't say a word... which makes me apprehensive. And they had problems holding dog back.

Really AWKWARD situation

I'm only here for two months and we bought so don't want to make a big deal... we used to keep cat in entirely in old house and she was miserable. She cried all night long so keeping her in would make her miserable. When the neighbours came over they didn't say a word... which makes me apprehensive. And they had problems holding dog back.

Really AWKWARD situation

In that case, if it was me I would forget about talking to them, it probably won't make a bit of difference. I would call the dog warden, tell them there's a dog lose in X and Y own it and that it's causing a nuisance. The warden won't take the dog away, they'll just go to the owners look for a licence and give them a warning. It being more official may work better than you having a chat with them and they don't have to know it was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would personally at least try to talk to the neighbours first, as the situation is awkward anyway, if you call the warden (and IF they go out to their house) and you'd not said anything to the neighbours it could make for a harder situation.

A) their dog shouldn't be roaming free - it should be contained on their property and under control
    B) it went for you
    C) they had trouble holding the dog back?

I would go over, calmly, state what has happened, that it has scared you, and that you would prefer if they kept their dog on their property (as is the law anyway). If they are unwilling to do so/dismiss you. Go to the wardens, and make a complaint, even go to the gardai and make a formal complaint if the dog went for you. What if the owners weren't there to 'hold the dog back'?
    I don't get people who allow uncontrolled dogs to roam around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

mikemac wrote: »
    Dogs have been shot for less.
    Their dog did that to you and you're worried about upsetting them??

I'm not saying you should you but some people would go to the garda station after that and could get the dog destroyed.
    Oh don't quote my post and hate me for contemplating that a dog should be destroyed but what happened you is not acceptable

It sounds to me like the dog jumped up on her, she turned her back and got a bit of a scrape. Not pleasant, particularly if you're afraid of dogs, but she wasn't exactly savaged by the dog and the Gardai would laugh at you if you made a complaint on that basis.
    sofia11 wrote: »
    My understanding is you can't let your dog wander on public areas/roads unless they are on a leash as previous poster has pointed out. So your neighbours are breaking the law.

Wrong. Unless they are in an area with a bye-law stating that dogs must be kept on a lead. This is generally only the case in parks and on some beaches, etc.

The current law states only that dogs must be kept "under proper control". It does not define what "proper control" is, so it can (and has been) argued that an off-lead dog who is accompanied by its owner is being kept under proper control.

Obviously the dog in this particular case wasn't under proper control by any definition, but I'm just a bit sick of people posting complete misinformation about the Control of Dogs Act on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have the same problem with all animals. Dogs and cats. They come into my garden and pee everywhere. anyway thats slightly off topic.

I got this thing called a "Superdogchaser" for some place in monaghan. It sends out a directional sonic wave which frightens the shhhh hell out of dogs and cats and birds and most animals tbh. The thing is it does not work very well on kittens pups or old animals that are tame. Seems to work on aggressive ones the best.

Anyway its good. I can walk now without worry and god help the animal that pees in my garden.

So back on topic: dog came bounding over this morning jumped at me again and neighbours were ouside(thank god). Anyway I said it to them that I was nervous of dogs and would they mind trying to keep it away from me in a really chatty way (like very cold morning isn't it blah blah blah) (bearing in mind my cat was inside not upsetting the dog) and they were not nice about it: they said their dog needed exercise and he'd never bite me... that animals had to roam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I love both dogs and cats and in most cases where there are problems it is due to the bad training of their humans.
    Control of dogs act

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—
    [GA]

( a ) the premises of the owner, or
    [GA]

( b ) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or
    [GA]

( c ) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,
    [GA]

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

Have you ever had a look at any of those dog whisperer programmes because if you have thats all he does, retrains humans, and gets rid of some of their unhelpful ideas about whats "natural" for the animal.

Dogs should not be allowed to jump up on people. Full stop.
    Dogs should not be allowed to jump up on people who love dogs and understand the dog is not trying to attack them.
    Dogs should not jump up on people who dont know whether the dog is attacking them or not.

If a particular dog has a tendency to do this, even if its a lovely dog, it is up to the owner either to train it reliably not to, or to leash the dog in any situations where it can come into contact with humans.
    That is the meaning of having your dog under effectual control.

Effectual control is not when you call your dog and it ignores you, untill it has done whatever it was running to do and you tell him he is a bad dog.
    Effectual control off lead, is when you say sit, or come, or no and the dog does it. If it dosent you are not in effectual control.
    You are not in control untill that dog is back on the lead or fenced in.

It is not up to people who either dont like dogs or are afraid of them to get use to dogs jumping up on them, or growling at them, or snapping at them.

I had a problem with a next door neighbour who thought it was natural for his dogs to bark all the time and roam the neighbourhood.
    He thought a dog needed to be let out at night for a bit of a run. The dogs prefered to mark their territory by ****ting in everyone elses gardens rather than their own and the owner either didnt care or liked it that way.
    The dogs also liked to go into other peoples back gardens and fight with smaller dogs.
    I tried talking to the owner but unfortunately someone like this is not going to be convinced that the natural needs of their animals do not take precedence over your safety or enjoyment of your own home.

I found that the dog warden is your only man in helping a dog owner understand what having an animal under your effectual care at all times means.
    You can phone a dog warden just for a chat about your situation.
    They dont have to do anything about the situation unless you say you would like them to and even then they wont say who the complaint is from.

The dog warden came to visit my neighbour, asked about dog licenses and whether the dogs were let out off lead at all and at what times.
    The neighbour denied letting them off lead but the dog warden had already suggested I keep a record of barking, times and durations, sightings of the dogs running around off lead, damaging community property like shrubbery etc.
    The neighbour was very taken aback when met with the actual reality of the situation. He wasnt pleased but he respects me a bit better I think.

You could try phoning your dog warden for a chat and see if he is as helpful as the one I spoke to
    Dog Warden (066) 7130182 if Im not mistaken.

• Advertisement

Yup that where I am alright... ?? Thats perfect thanks I'll give him a ring tomorrow!!!

convert wrote: »
    Is that a number for the Dog Warden in your local area only?

That would be Tralee's covering Kerry I'd assume!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That would be Tralee's covering Kerry I'd assume!!!

That's what I meant - was it a county based number or just for one specific area/town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It sounds to me like the dog jumped up on her, she turned her back and got a bit of a scrape. Not pleasant, particularly if you're afraid of dogs, but she wasn't exactly savaged by the dog and the Gardai would laugh at you if you made a complaint on that basis.

I suppose it's how you read it
    I read it as the OP got jumped and her back entirely scratched.
    Maybe I misread it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yup that where I am alright... ?? Thats perfect thanks I'll give him a ring tomorrow!!!

Just a suggestion. If there is anyway you'd, if you can, consider waiting a little while before calling the dog warden. If you call them tomorrow and they come out this week, find the dog roaming and take him(?) away, your neighbours will blame you. I believe your neighbours don't deserve to have a dog if they just let him roam about without them, but they sound like unreasonable, potentially nasty people and might decide to make you suffer.

And while I really, really don't want to alarm you, they may decide to hurt your cat in response. I had neighbours before who I made a noise complaint against after asking them to turn their music down. They obviously knew who had made the complaint and they made life hell for me, constantly threatening me and my dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Excellent advice from Ambersky, the dog is either under 'effectual control' or they are not IMO. You have to be responsible for your pet at all times, it may be the friendliest dog ever but you never know how an animal will react in a new situation, other dog, cats, strangers......better safe than sorry.

mikemac wrote: »
    I suppose it's how you read it
    I read it as the OP got jumped and her back entirely scratched.
    Maybe I misread it

Nope your right I got jumped on by dog and I'm scratched from my shoulder blade to my hip

And iguana thanks thats good advice.... As I've said I really don't want to have a thing with neighbours especially when I'm not renting. In the past don't think it would have bothered me so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I hope it works out for you. There may be no harm in calling for a chat, but hold out for a little bit on having them come out if possible. In the mean time, if you are a decent actor, be pleasant with your neighbour. That way if the wardens do end up taking their dog you will be free of suspicion.

It's not fair but having a certain type of neighbour hate you, is hell on earth. And the constant fear that they just might harm your pet is unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Can you put up fencing or something to keep the dog out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

What a horrible situation to be in!! I definitely wouldn't jump the gun with the warden, that will really anger your neighbours and you may never recover a civil relationship after that. Clearly these neighbours are not sympathic to your fear of dogs and judging on that alone they would become beyond unreasonable if you brought the warden in. I have some pretty crazy dogs myself, that act up and get excited but that i know would never bite me, they probably think this of their dog and expect you to be the same. Its such a tricky situation, did you mention to them about your cat and wanting to let it out during the day? I wonder how they would like it if you had a bigger more aggressive dog than theirs next door?? Maybe if you told them i have to let my cat out, will your dog go for her and if so how can I get her to back off... As in do they have any training done with the dog.. hint hint!!! My dogs used to chase cats that came around the house but we got them stop and now a cat could sleep in their bed with them.

Also I know you are afraid of dogs but living next door to that may help you get over that fear(I used to be petrified) I find with dogs if you give a very confident definite no! it usually works.. altho depends on how bad this dog is. I do believe its true that they do smell fear.

It really is not fair that your cat would have to stay indoors at all time because of this, the neighbours are right about animals needing to roam, but not if they are a risk to others and also I don't know what kind of area your in, but it sounds like their dog would be more suited to the country where neighbours aren't so near..
    I hope you work it out and that they see some sense and get their dog sorted out.

Advertisement