Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Timer

Options
  • 28-11-2009 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

My central heating timer packed up, it's an APC analogue type timer. I bought a new one today (different Make / Model) and this one doesn't seem to work either?

The problem seems to be that the clock does not spin around (i.e if you set the time to the current time and have the "timed" setting matching it works but the clock doesn't actually keep time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated with these cold morning / evenings :(

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have you wired it properly and checked that you have a live and neutral supply??

If you have, then it is possible that you have a faulty unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ImITCork

Hi there,

I wired it the same as the last one was wired and that had been working for over a year until recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ImITCork wrote: »
    Hi there,

I wired it the same as the last one was wired and that had been working for over a year until recently?

You may need a live loop to the clock part of the timer.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ImITCork

JamesM wrote: »
    You may need a live loop to the clock part of the timer.
    Jim.

Thanks for the response but what does that mean? It worked for over a year and suddenly stopped and the new unit is the same now although wired identically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ImITCork wrote: »
    Thanks for the response but what does that mean? It worked for over a year and suddenly stopped and the new unit is the same now although wired identically

You said that the new unit is a different make, so wiring might not be identical. Sometimes you have to connect a link from the live to another connection for the timer. It is sometimes shown on the diagram as a dotted line. The wiring diagram should show how to wire it.
    Of course, you may have a faulty timer :(.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Could be just that a fuse has blown. Is there a fused spur near the timer? Post up a pic of the back of the timer if your still having trouble....

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Slightly off topic.
    But where can I shop for these timers on the web?
    My timer, just has two slots for on and off,
    which I set to morning and evening,
    but I'd like a temperature controller / timer unit.
    Is this possible? I know it probably comes across as a bit futuristic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I bought this off ebay for ~€100. Works well as thermostat and timer. The controller is wireless so you can put it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Sorry for your troubles,possible with the way the relay connections at th eback of the device are wired:make sure that you conenct them properly.
    Also,when is the spin is kind of ready to kick-in,listen to box and check if you have a click,that means that th einternal relay works.If no clicks,then the unit is faulty..

After i've got my boiler replaced under SEI grant,i got this device from HERE

The main advantage of the device is that allows you to set up the temperature in large range (from 18' to 25' ,let's say) per half hour daily ,per 7 days ! !
    What that means is that other boxes has two temperatures (hot and cold)and then apply them against the time,per hour.
    My box does temp per half hour:let's say,i want a 21' at 2pm and 20' at 2'30 (kids home) and then 20 till 5pm. In the evening,i can set temp per half hour at a higher degree controlling than "hot and cold" per hour:22'-21'-20'...and so on !

The savings in the bill ... i expect to be huge ! !

Advertisement