Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Cable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Shielding isn't really important. It's pretty basic you're not missing anything. To be honest though if you just ask around people should have free cables just lying around. You get them free with routers or computers so there are always lots spare. Rather like power cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

thanks for that, i have a few cables lying around but none of them are long enough. think il get this one

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME0860391#spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

think their is a poster here who makes cable to whatever lenght you want and posts it out too you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

To be honest, I'd be more looking for a more practical solution. Maybe extending the wifi coverage or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Encryptix - I've a 20 or 25 metre CAT5E cable (pretty sure it's 25m) that you can have for nothing if you like. I don't need it anymore and I'm only a few miles from you in Maynooth.

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd be more looking for a more practical solution. Maybe extending the wifi coverage or something.

Its not the wifi coverage thats the problem, its the laptops wireless card. It isnt very good (its always low signal, and then in places where i can get 'excellent' signal on my laptop, the network isnt even detected by their laptop!
    Macros42 wrote: »
    Encryptix - I've a 20 or 25 metre CAT5E cable (pretty sure it's 25m) that you can have for nothing if you like. I don't need it anymore and I'm only a few miles from you in Maynooth.

Thanks, that would be brilliant! and handy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

encryptix wrote: »
    Its not the wifi coverage thats the problem, its the laptops wireless card. It isnt very good (its always low signal, and then in places where i can get 'excellent' signal on my laptop, the network isnt even detected by their laptop!

Better again, get a PCMCIA /Cardbus card for the laptop :)

Best look with the cabling anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Better again, get a PCMCIA /Cardbus card for the laptop :)

Best look with the cabling anyways.

even usb would be better then a cable

mukki wrote: »
    even usb would be better then a cable

i think the cable will be fine for this case, the laptop isnt moved around a lot.

Advertisement